PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tea rinse + castor oil/coconut treatment?

snapehairflip
November 1st, 2016, 05:36 AM
Hello Everyone! I'm new here, this is my first thread:)
Like most of you I'm trying to grow my hair out for a number of reasons and im trying to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I find that a mix of castor oil and coconut oil work for me, i see a difference after i use it in the length, but at the same time i experince more shedding whenever I use it as opposed to when i just wash my hair normally. I apply first the coconut to my scalp, then the castor where feel needed, i leave it on for 40 mins then i wash it out with regular shampoo. (thats where I notice the shedding) Without any oils on my scalp and just shampoo i barely lose a few hairs and that's it, whereas with the oil mixture i'll lose a strand of hair.

Does anyone have experince using these hair growth-boosting oils/methods and having a lot of shedding at the same time? Is there a way to mend it, say for example using an anti-shedding rinse before applying the oils? I've tried a black tea rinse before and i noticed positive results. My only concern is that it would be messy as hell and and difficult to wash out when applied over hair thats already greased with oils, and maybe it would be pointless to use an anti shedding rinse when youre gonna shed anyway, due to the oil you have to wash out? my thoughts is maybe the black tea rinse should be used alone only in order to acheive desired results?

Please comment your suggestions:knit:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 07:07 AM
Hello and welcome to the LHC.
I use castor oil mixed into coconut oil with eo and a few other oils.
I have not experienced any shedding.
My understanding is that if you are experiencing shedding from whatever you put on your hair or scalp. Stop using it. You do not want this to hinder your progress.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 07:13 AM
Here is a link for a rooibos tea growth.
I tried it just 3 days. But is was not for me. Hope this helps

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71576

Nymphe
November 1st, 2016, 09:05 AM
Try using an applicator bottle for the tea. I must warn you that the tannins in tea may act like a protein treatment and harden the hair over time. I do coffee soaks for shedding; no hardness yet.

Why not just put the oil on your length and avoid the scalp?

snapehairflip
November 1st, 2016, 09:25 AM
do you mean like a spray bottle? Hm but i dont see whats the harm in hardening the hair though, that means the hair is getting thicker/stronger right?

I have recently started putting oil on my ends because i realized it was necessary, but i put the oil on my scalp specifically in order to stimulate growth. After i put the coconut and castor in, i flp my hair upside down & do a massage. As everyone has told me this will help boost circulation/growth. (im trying to grow my hair long)

snapehairflip
November 1st, 2016, 09:28 AM
@Kat-Rinnč Naido I used minimum amount of coconut and castor on my scalp today and also applied the black tea rinse to my hair before washing it out, the shedding was minimal as well. well see how it looks tomorrow ... typically i can notice the length difference the morning after ;)

Nymphe
November 1st, 2016, 09:42 AM
do you mean like a spray bottle? Hm but i dont see whats the harm in hardening the hair though, that means the hair is getting thicker/stronger right?

I have recently started putting oil on my ends because i realized it was necessary, but i put the oil on my scalp specifically in order to stimulate growth. After i put the coconut and castor in, i flp my hair upside down & do a massage. As everyone has told me this will help boost circulation/growth. (im trying to grow my hair long)
The bottle in the middle is an applicator bottle. You can get them at any beauty supply shop.
https://s25.postimg.org/x625k1r33/Keeping_Products_002.jpg

Eastbound&Down
November 1st, 2016, 03:04 PM

Too much protein in your hair can be bad, it can lead to it becoming brittle and crunchy feeling, so be careful. Hardening doesn't equal thicker/stronger, it can be a sign of protein damage.

snapehairflip
November 3rd, 2016, 08:28 AM
@Eastbound&Down Oh wow thanks for the tip, i had no idea. I've actually noticed my hair getting "brittler" and dry feeling but couldnt point out the reason why. it could be the tea rinse istelf or a combination of things, who knows ...

snapehairflip
November 3rd, 2016, 08:28 AM
@Nymphe Thank you!!

Ophidian
November 3rd, 2016, 02:29 PM
I'd second what others have said about scalp oiling--that is, if you are noticing increased shedding than stop and just use it on the length. BUT I'm wondering if you were doing scalp massages before trying the oil treatments? I find that the massage alone can loosen hairs that were probably ready to be shed anyway.

I personally castor for scalp massages and while I'm not sure if it has increased my growth rate (I don't really measure), I got a ton of new baby hairs after I started using it and my hair has noticeably filled out in thinner spots along my hairline. So I love it, but results definitely vary. oil+scalp does seem to cause excess shedding in some people so if you've determined that it's the oil causing you to shed, you can still get plenty of benefit from massage alone. Hope this helps!