PDA

View Full Version : Any curlies with regular brushing routine?

EbonyCurls
November 1st, 2016, 04:19 AM
So I discovered brushing my hair about a year ago and I can't believe I've been missing out. The only thing I want to improve on is investing in a quality brush. I wanted to wait until I was sure I wanted to keep brushing permanently first. I will probably get a MP BBB as a Christmas present to myself. I've had the MP rake for over 10 years now, so I'm hoping the brushes are of similar quality.

Anyway, brushing has made my hair wash days (and the days between) SO MUCH easier. It's actually enjoyable to detangle. These are the personal rules I've made for myself (based on trial and error heh heh):

1) Brush only dry hair which has been sectioned and finger-detangled
2) Brush only hair which has been lightly oiled/moisturized (at least at the ends)
3) Brush 2-3 inch pieces at a time, starting with the bottom, up
4) Brush very slowly, with a hand providing support to the hair
5) Braid as I go since freshly brushed curly hair is really staticy and can tangle easily; braiding it, even if only for the duration of the brush, really calms it down I find.

Doing this I have very little breakage, and the only hairs that come out are lovely, long pieces (and much fewer than when I would shower w/out brushing), from natural fall (if you have curly hair, you know your curls rarely allow dead hair to fall out, so brushing can help take them out and keep them from tangling up in attached hairs). Brushing for me also makes detangling and updos a breeze. It seriously cut my time by a 3rd and softer bristles I find, smooth out fine tangles like nobody's business, whereas usually my fingers and rake make them bigger and tighter.

I only brush a couple times per week, a detailed brush the night before a wash, and a quick brush the morning of the wash, just to get all of the strands in the same direction.

I have retained so much more growth since brushing. Before, detangling was so painful for me, that I would put off my washes, or get frustrated and just rip through my hair with a wide-tooth comb or my fingers. It was a chore. Now I can't wait to put on Netflix, get out my pot of coconut oil, and get to work. I also find that it's improved my curl-pattern (it's clumpier and shinier after a brush), b/c brushing before a wash just gives it a different start for me, than with the comb (and curlies also know that how you start out is just as, if not more, important as how you finish/style).

Any other curlies brush their hair successfully? Any who had bad experiences that I should maybe be wary of down the road?

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 04:35 AM
Thank you EbonyCurls for sharing your experiences.
I did brush daily for two and a half months his year. My experience was that I had softer hair. My curls just somehow sprung and detangling was less to tackle.

However I have since stopped brushing for a month now. As I was told curlies do not brush except before a wash. I now use a wooden comb.

I shall be monitoring this thread to know who has success and still continue and who has had bad experiences and what it was. Thank you for creating this thread.

janeytilllie
November 1st, 2016, 04:52 AM
I'm a 2C

I always brush. I can't use combs, not even on wet hair it causes me terrible breakage. Combs damaged my hair.

I love brushes :heart:

I use the tangle teezer on dry hair and the wet brush on wet hair. My waves and curls are happy. Brushing I find for me makes increased shine. Moves sebum down, so it smoothes my waves and curls and makes my hair soft.

Rowdy
November 1st, 2016, 05:17 AM
2c/3a. I always brush my hair dry with a tangle teaser before I wash because waiting to detangle until my hair was wet with conditioner in it is the only thing that ever gave me real knots and breakage.

I use my tangle teaser to detangle, not a comb either. Doing this and treating my hair as one mass while its wet (not trying to separate sections/strands or drag my fingers through it) keeps me completely tangle free throughout the washing and drying process.

Edited to add: I also don't use any creamy leave-ins or gels, just various silicone serums when styling straight or mineral oil when styling curly. I don't know if that would make a difference or not...

lapushka
November 1st, 2016, 05:32 AM
Regular? Not so much. I only comb/brush right before washing (weekly). The rest of the days are finger detangling days (just separating the strands).

EbonyCurls
November 1st, 2016, 06:03 AM
^ I would consider that regular! You've incorporated brushing into your routine, rather than using it as a 'party trick' to show off how bushy curly hair can get (I may or may not have done this before :whistle: )

lapushka
November 1st, 2016, 06:18 AM
^ I would consider that regular! You've incorporated brushing into your routine, rather than using it as a 'party trick' to show off how bushy curly hair can get (I may or may not have done this before :whistle: )

Thank you! Yes, it is regular, like every week. I detangle pre-wash (saves my drain) and then collect the sheds during the wash, and detangle post-wash (only WT comb then, right after towel and before styling).

LOL! Haha. :lol:

LadyCelestina
November 1st, 2016, 06:53 AM
:D I need to get this off my chest : when I experimented with dry brushing/combing and made a similar thread, one member got so set on the idea of me being absolutely delusional about my hair, that they argued with me AND proceeded to post pics of their unbrushed curly hair to...idk, prove something ?:lol: It didn't make sense since our hair was quite different, but it was a bit embarassing for me.

I like your brushing process a lot. Personally I don't brush anymore for a variety of reasons, but experimented with BBB and did something similar to what you do. I still regularly brushed my roots, but then my sister stole the brush :D so I didn't. Now I have a TT and use that for the roots :)

Annalouise
November 1st, 2016, 08:16 AM
I'm a 2C

I always brush. I can't use combs, not even on wet hair it causes me terrible breakage. Combs damaged my hair.

I love brushes :heart:

I use the tangle teezer on dry hair and the wet brush on wet hair. My waves and curls are happy. Brushing I find for me makes increased shine. Moves sebum down, so it smoothes my waves and curls and makes my hair soft.

I'm not a curly, but a wurly, and yes I love my bbb. I agree with the above statement, combs are the worst for breakage. They don't bend, they will break hairs. Whereas my bbb is soft and the bristles will just bend they won't snap the hair if they encounter a tangle.

My routine is to brush my hair on day 2 after washing. My hair is too puffy after washing to attempt it. And my favorite part of brushing is the SCALP MASSAGE. It feels so nice on my scalp! :D love, love, love it!

XiaoBaiTu
November 1st, 2016, 08:52 AM
I can brush my hair without damaging it, but it has to immediately go into braid, as you described. Also, while do-able for me, it isn't better. Funny how different things work for different curls, isn't it? I'm glad you found something that makes detangling easier and more enjoyable for you, it doesn't have to be a pain!

Also, gotta love the bushy-hair party trick! :eyebrows:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 08:56 AM
I can brush my hair without damaging it, but it has to immediately go into braid, as you described. Also, while do-able for me, it isn't better. Funny how different things work for different curls, isn't it? I'm glad you found something that makes detangling easier and more enjoyable for you, it doesn't have to be a pain!

Also, gotta love the bushy-hair party trick! :eyebrows:

Do you use a tangle teaser or a bbb

XiaoBaiTu
November 1st, 2016, 11:11 AM
Do you use a tangle teaser or a bbb

Truthfully, neither. I have one of those cheap plastic brushes with the ball-tipped bristles ... hey, maybe that's why I've never liked the results I get from brushing my hair! I rarely use it anymore, but if I go very slow and immediately stop when I hit a tangle then I can avoid breaking any hair. Nowadays it's only for smoothing already-detangled hair.

I have a little cousin with curly hair though, and her mom swears by a tangle teaser.

EbonyCurls
November 1st, 2016, 11:35 AM
:D I need to get this off my chest : when I experimented with dry brushing/combing and made a similar thread, one member got so set on the idea of me being absolutely delusional about my hair, that they argued with me AND proceeded to post pics of their unbrushed curly hair to...idk, prove something ?:lol: It didn't make sense since our hair was quite different, but it was a bit embarassing for me.

I like your brushing process a lot. Personally I don't brush anymore for a variety of reasons, but experimented with BBB and did something similar to what you do. I still regularly brushed my roots, but then my sister stole the brush :D so I didn't. Now I have a TT and use that for the roots :)

Wow. I'm sorry that happened. It's one thing to mention you had a different outcome, and another to critisize someone's judgement bc they do something differently to their hair, which didn't work for yours. Hmm I might have to check out this TT everyone is talking about. Never heard of it. Is it only good for the roots, or is it good for whole head/ ends?

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 12:03 PM
Truthfully, neither. I have one of those cheap plastic brushes with the ball-tipped bristles ... hey, maybe that's why I've never liked the results I get from brushing my hair! I rarely use it anymore, but if I go very slow and immediately stop when I hit a tangle then I can avoid breaking any hair. Nowadays it's only for smoothing already-detangled hair.

I have a little cousin with curly hair though, and her mom swears by a tangle teaser.

Thank you for replying XiaoBaiTu

I have a few different bbb which I am not using at the moment. I sure did love the relaxing feeling from brushing. Maybe I might use it in winter

calmyogi
November 1st, 2016, 01:08 PM
Wow. I'm sorry that happened. It's one thing to mention you had a different outcome, and another to critisize someone's judgement bc they do something differently to their hair, which didn't work for yours. Hmm I might have to check out this TT everyone is talking about. Never heard of it. Is it only good for the roots, or is it good for whole head/ ends?

Tangle teezers are for the whole head. They are the most gentle brush I have ever come across. I have a friend who hates brushing her hair because it's so tangly and the TT was a god send for her.

calmyogi
November 1st, 2016, 01:10 PM
I notice that when I use my MP mixed bristle brush, or just a BBB in general, my curls bounce back beautifully after Its washed again. I'm more on he wurly side though so I can't vouch for your hair type. Another reason I really like using a bristle brush is for my scalp. My scalp loves LOVES the exfoliation it provides.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 01:41 PM
I notice that when I use my MP mixed bristle brush, or just a BBB in general, my curls bounce back beautifully after Its washed again. I'm more on he wurly side though so I can't vouch for your hair type. Another reason I really like using a bristle brush is for my scalp. My scalp loves LOVES the exfoliation it provides.

Thank you for sharing calmyogi
I also had the same experience. It is lover to know the bbb works for your hair

Apolli
November 2nd, 2016, 02:28 AM
This is a very interesting thread, mostly because of the 'don't brush curly hair' thing that I hear so often. My hair spits out combs and paddle brushes even when in sections and starting from the ends + they gave me a lot of single strand knots on my ringlets so I gave up on it. Are bbb or tangle teezers any different/softer? I would love to try and brush a bit again occasionally.