PDA

View Full Version : To Trim or cut shedding hair?

natural80
October 31st, 2016, 12:54 PM
I have some shedding and I don't know if I should get a trim or cut. I really don't want to cut my hair. I have curly, thick 3c hair. Every time I put product on my hair I can see the hair in my hand and it's shed hairs because it's a white bulb on the end. The products I were using were VO5 shampoo and deep conditioned weekly with a light protein-based conditioner. I did a hard protein last week to stop some of the shedding and breakage. I did have some breakage, but I gave myself a trim and did the hard protein treatment and I still have the shedding. I wasn't using really any silicones. So that's not the problem. I moisturize with a glycerin-based product daily and seal with a petroleum-based product. I have switched back to a sulfate-free shampoo. Do you have any suggestions? TIA

Gothic
October 31st, 2016, 01:11 PM
I don't think cutting would help the shedding at all:/

Anje
October 31st, 2016, 01:16 PM
If you don't want to cut or trim, you don't have to. It's OK. Trimming your hair won't stop shedding anyway.

First of all, some shedding is normal. The stated "normal" amount is 100 hairs/day, but that's super individual, and for a lot of us, it varies seasonally as well. I've been shedding more than usual for the last month or so, which seems like it happens to me every fall after the equinox.

Definitely pay attention to how much you shed with different products. Some products or wash methods, especially on your scalp, might make you shed more than others. Shedding more with CO washing, for example, is rather common. For more straight-haired folks like me, the easy solution is often to only apply conditioner below ear level, but I don't know if that's adequate when your hair is very curly. Conditioning an inch or two away from the roots though, maybe hanging your head upside down, might be a possibility if conditioner on your scalp increases shedding?

It's worth mentioning that I get hair that feels rough and brittle when I overdo protein (in my case, that's more than a teeny bit on rare occasions), and breakage can result. I do better moisturizing more (honey mixed with conditioner is great for my hair), but obviously that's something where you have to find the best balance for yourself.

Have you ever tried diluting your shampoo? I tend to go that route to reduce its harshness, and I feel like I get it to my scalp better with less disturbing my hair than if I use it as a full-strength gel. How much you do is up to you, but I dilute it like 10x-15x and then just squirt the mixture directly on my head from the bottle, because that's easy.

natural80
October 31st, 2016, 02:05 PM
I haven't tried diluting my shampoo. When my hair was WL, I still saw shedding. I was using a growth aide as well, so that might be the culprit. I'm like you, I have noticed in the past the more I moisturize and stay away from protein, my hair doesn't shed as much. I tried CO washing daily and I noticed my hair shed a lot too. I doubt I shed 100 hairs a day though. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

lapushka
October 31st, 2016, 02:43 PM
Have you always CO-washed? Was your shedding better with shampoo? Some people can't have conditioner (or oil) touch their scalp or they shed bucket loads of hair.

Like Anje said, up to 100 hairs a day is normal. So if you weekly wash, it's normal that a week's worth of sheds comes out.

natural80
October 31st, 2016, 05:06 PM
I don't co wash too much. I mainly shampoo and deep condition weekly. I also think my culprit may be combing. I use a wide-tooth comb since my hair short because when I lie down my curls just stick to my head. I don't use oil on my hair. Well, I was using a sulfur hair growth mix. Thanks. :)

natural80
October 31st, 2016, 05:07 PM
My hair still sheds with shampoo.

lapushka
October 31st, 2016, 05:09 PM
Shedding is normal. How much do you shed? Has it increased, or has it always been this amount. That's kind of vital.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 31st, 2016, 05:47 PM
Yes, shedding IS completely normal. Have you counted how many hairs you shed in a day? You only need to worry if your hair is beginning to feel thinner.

yahirwaO.o
October 31st, 2016, 06:42 PM
I would actually trim and cut if my hair loss rates are going out of norm just because I hate a thin uneven and scraggly hem (been there countless times and just doesnt look good my fine hair).

If u are shedding very few hairs its ok and if u dont see any significant lost in thickness then dont do it an try to find a more gentle solution to treat your shedding.
What worked for me and In giving a new try now... are egg yolk treatments! those work so good for me that after being done, my hair shedding rates have remain very low. The downside I stopped because of the smell but now im planing to add esential oils and washing on the sink so I dont create a gross mess in my shower.

Whatever you decide don't stress, it is actually worse!!! :blossom:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 03:59 AM
Hi
If you are shedding more than normal to could be a number of reasons, including a mineral, iron, vitamin deficiency or even stress related.
You could visit your doctor and get your blood checked.
Also with curly (from my experience) your scalp must not get dry, stressed etc. As this creates more shedding. Your ends and scalp will both act up if dry or parched. So try to keep both hydrated.
I hope this helps. Good luck. Keep us updated

ETA: trimming in most cases does not solve the sheds. You need to get to the source

natural80
November 1st, 2016, 07:15 PM
Trimming didn't help at all. I washed and conditioned my hair today and it shed like crazy. I'm going to up my moisture. I only wash once a week. I don't co-wash anymore. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. :)

spidermom
November 1st, 2016, 10:11 PM
Of course trimming didn't help. Trimming has nothing whatsoever to do with shedding. Each hair on your head goes through three natural stages: active growth, resting (no growth), and finally shedding out. No matter what you do, you will shed.

Of course there are things that increase shedding such as stress, poor diet, etc, the same things that mess with your health in other ways.