PDA

View Full Version : 8 months of growth on a CURLY girl!

XiaoBaiTu
October 31st, 2016, 07:23 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been on this forum for 8 months now and it has helped me so much in learning to properly care for my curly hair. I haven't trimmed at all during this time, just occasional light S&D, and I didn't have much damage to begin with (just mechanical damage from brushing).

I'm posting this not because I need compliments or encouragement -- I'm plenty encouraged by my results -- but because I notice my fellow curlies are often mourning the fact that their shrinkage hides most of their growth. They don't see progress, and that's frustrating... but this comparison should show that even with a fairly tight curl (3b/3c) and a good amount of shrinkage (I lose more than a half of my length to shrinkage), there is progress and it is visible! Don't get discouraged, your hair will grow even though it may take twice as long as everyone else's hair to show it. Keep nurturing your hair and it will reward you!

Okay, pictures!

My first length photo when I joined LHC:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25112&d=1477919769

This was just shampoo and conditioner, brushed out at the top and still curly at the bottom. It's not a great representation of my real curl pattern, but this is all I knew how to do back then.

Today: I washed my hair the way I would have in the photo above and styled it similarly, so this should be an accurate growth comparison. I wouldn't normally do my hair with this little definition or added moisture anymore.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25110&d=1477919658

It's less progress than would be visible if my hair were straight, but honestly, I don't wish away my curls or the shrinkage they bring anymore. I'm happy with the growth that is visible, and I hope this is encouraging to other curlies who are having a hard time being patient with their growth-concealing, magically-shrinking hair!

Blessings,
XiaoBaiTu

ReadingRenee
October 31st, 2016, 07:43 AM
Great post! That is really encouraging. I don't even have the gorgeous curls that you have, just waves, and it is encouraging to me. Also, even though you styled your hair in a different way for this picture, I think your hair is very beautiful. :)

lapushka
October 31st, 2016, 08:07 AM
That is amazing in just 8 months. Quite a bit of growth! :D
Love your curl pattern! :)

Nymphe
October 31st, 2016, 08:29 AM
Beautiful! Please, keep inspiring others with your progress. :)

Groovy Granny
October 31st, 2016, 09:55 AM
Great growth; your curls are so pretty :)

raemarthe
October 31st, 2016, 10:08 AM
Wow that is truly amazing! I love your hair, so beautiful. :)

samanthaa
October 31st, 2016, 10:17 AM
Wow, that's significant progress for only 8 months AND curly. Beautiful!

EliseMarie
October 31st, 2016, 02:42 PM
It looks like a lot of growth to me! Gorgeous :)

browneyedsusan
October 31st, 2016, 03:37 PM
It looks fantastic!

(My sister and niece have curls, albeit not as tight as yours. They take a LONG time to grow out their length. :) )

XiaoBaiTu
October 31st, 2016, 05:55 PM
Thank you all! The funny thing is, until I saw this comparison for myself, I really thought my hair wasn't growing, that curly hair always takes an eternity to grow out, and that I was kidding myself thinking that I could ever have it any longer than what it had been for my whole life. But, as it turns out, curly hair can and will grow if you are kind to it and just let it do its thing. :)

EbonyCurls
November 1st, 2016, 03:58 AM
I know you're not asking for compliments, but those are some gorgeous curls and length! My curl pattern is slightly looser but I've NEVER had this kind of growth. Congrats on finding what works for you! I think I've found my routine, but only time (and genetics) will tell.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 1st, 2016, 04:21 AM
:blossom:Your hair is gorgeous.
Congratulations and thank you for sharing. I wish you all the best on your hair journey

janeytilllie
November 1st, 2016, 04:59 AM
Beautiful hair :thud: your curls are so pretty!

Very encouraging post :)