PDA

View Full Version : Fine Hair---What's with being so fuzzy?

FennFire911
October 30th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Howdy y'all! I've been noticing what I can only think to call fuzziness. I've always had "sprigs" sticking out of my braids. But recently I've been noticing hairs at all lengths that stick out and curl up a bit. I don't know if it's new, I've only started paying closer attention to my hair in recent months. I've added pics to help you see what I'm trying to describe. I first noticed it shockingly when I clarified last month for the first time in years. I usually use sulfate free poo, but my rinse out and leave in conditioners have cones. Guess my baby fine hair isn't getting weighed down heavy by the cones?
Is this new growths at various stages? It's extremely rare that I find a white dot or split end.
How do I tame down the crazy fuzzies?
PS the bigger waves in my hair because I had it in a bun today.

Thanks in advance!

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/foxfire_ga79/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9685_zpsqectypbt.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/foxfire_ga79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9685_zpsqectypbt.jpg.html)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/foxfire_ga79/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9684_zpsuxalss8p.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/foxfire_ga79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9684_zpsuxalss8p.jpg.html)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/foxfire_ga79/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9683_zpsirpa97e5.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/foxfire_ga79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9683_zpsirpa97e5.jpg.html)uu

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/foxfire_ga79/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9681_zpsxuotsovr.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/foxfire_ga79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9681_zpsxuotsovr.jpg.html)

Andthetalltrees
October 30th, 2016, 10:08 PM
My hair is very coarse and it does exactly this. I think it's more of a wave pattern/frizz then from hair texture, Which makes sense it happened after clarifying since your hair isn't being weighed down by cones.

vampyyri
October 30th, 2016, 10:11 PM
That's not just fine specific, that kind of frizz is usually from over-brushing or brushing the wave pattern out of your hair in my experience.
Also there are multiple lengths of hair on your head in different stages of growth, sometimes it just happens regardless.

RavenRose
October 30th, 2016, 10:34 PM
My hair does that when brushed unless tamed with a bit of oil or coney serum. It is partcialy from the different lenght of the individual strands, and the wave pattern in your hair. I found out after join LHC and doing some no touch hair typing that I am actually quite wavy instead of strait as I had always thought. Now if I work with my hair and brush less, and use a wide tooth comb, with less touching, and a bit of leave in for definition I get nicer waves instead of fuzz.

furnival
October 31st, 2016, 04:27 AM
Hair is never all the same length. Each hair reaches the end of its life cycle, sheds and starts growing again at different times, thankfully, because otherwise we'd go completely bald every decade or so. It's completely normal to have hairs of all different lengths sticking out of your braid, but certain products/ methods may make them frizzier or more noticeable. :)

FennFire911
October 31st, 2016, 04:40 AM
I'm simply speechless. My whole life my mother has told me I have stick straight hair and I've treated it accordingly.
I'' going to have to learn to do some no-touch care and see if I can find my curl pattern. Maybe my hair isn't impossible after all!
It was at its most extreme the day I clarified. It was going all kinds of directions. I hadn't clarified in forever and though I had let the clarifying poo sit on there too long. Directions said 3-4 minutes if it's been a long time so that's how long I left it on.
Up until that point I would use mousse while it was wet and hair spray once I styled it. I haven't been using those lately because I am getting away from regular use of strong chemicals because over the past few months I seem to have it through my head that I can't use anything leave-in other than conditioner or I'll be damaging my hair.
Is it safe to use mousse and hair spray? I can't remember what was the catalyst to turning me into such a purist.
How should I go about finding my waves and then caring for them?
Thanks for such great news! I always wanted a little wave! ��

FennFire911
October 31st, 2016, 04:44 AM
Oh, also my hair is in layers right now that I want to grow out. That explains a lot of the length differences I think. It's that unruly fuzziness and its tendency to explode in all directions that got
me confused.

Arctic
October 31st, 2016, 06:00 AM
You might not be finey at all, your individual hairs seem very visible even from these photos taken not super close. If the sticking out hairs represent your texture I'd put you in M, if you also have finer hairs then maybe F/M.

lapushka
October 31st, 2016, 06:15 AM
I don't know Arctic, sure looks F to me. :) But the OP needs to decide that for herself, of course.

Yes, what previous posters have said, you have hair of all kinds of lengths on your head. It will *never* be all the same length. That is an impossible goal to attain due to the shedding and regrowth cycle.

samanthaa
October 31st, 2016, 07:21 AM
Your hair reminds me so much of my own, right down to the shorter layers, except a different color. My hair looks like your latter three pictures when I take it out of a bun or braid and comb through it.

From what I understood from your post, the wavy texture was the result of bun waves, yes? A hair typing experiment would probably still be good.

Lucky you on never having a split. I'm jealous.

Groovy Granny
October 31st, 2016, 10:04 AM
Oh, also my hair is in layers right now that I want to grow out. That explains a lot of the length differences I think. It's that unruly fuzziness and its tendency to explode in all directions that got
me confused.

New growth...along with layers; been there....still there (minus the layers lol)....I have them from crown to ends.

A spritz of hairspray and a BBB blends then in; sometimes a wee bit of oil or texture cream.

ACCEPTANCE lessens the annoyance :wink:

It looks great IMHO :shrug:

YAY for new growth :cheer:

gypsycolleen
October 31st, 2016, 10:10 AM
Your hair is very similar to mine, also. Mine is frizzy with all the growth stages sticking out, and the frizz makes it look thicker than it is. My braid is very small. I discovered my waves on TLHC also, in what I thought of all my life was straight hair! I may be brushing my hair too much too, maybe I/we should brush less and wide comb or finger comb more.

Annalouise
October 31st, 2016, 10:30 AM
You might not be finey at all, your individual hairs seem very visible even from these photos taken not super close. If the sticking out hairs represent your texture I'd put you in M, if you also have finer hairs then maybe F/M.

I would say she has F/M or maybe even M hair. I can see the individual hairs. I have F hair and they are almost invisible around bsl.
A good way to tell is if you run an individual strand through your fingers and see if you can feel it. If you have fine hair you will barely be
able to feel the individual strand.:)

FennFire911
October 31st, 2016, 01:01 PM
I have seen people on here describe their fine hair as feeling like spider webs and mine is nothing like that. I twirrled a strand of hair between my thumb and first finger and kind of felt it a little bit. So it's definitely possible I'm an F/M.
I guess acceptance is really all I can do after the hair spray has done its job. I've always had whispies and cow licks. If I had to describe my hair with one word it would be feral. But I'm glad to know this is normal and not damage related. Finger combing doesn't make my hair feel nice. It gets stringy and piecy easily, and brushing seems to be the only way I can prevent it from looking totally unkempt. I look messy and disheveled very quickly if I don't keep on top of things.

RavenRose
October 31st, 2016, 01:07 PM
I would say she has F/M or maybe even M hair. I can see the individual hairs. I have F hair and they are almost invisible around bsl.
A good way to tell is if you run an individual strand through your fingers and see if you can feel it. If you have fine hair you will barely be
able to feel the individual strand.:)

This would depend on your sense of touch, some people are able to still feel fine hair. Recently there was a link floating around from the hair science blog about how to measure how fine or course hair (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...oarse-how.html) was depending on how many strands could be lined up into a millimeter, my hair passed the fine test, but yet I can still feel individual strands.

I think a lot of the reason we can see the OP's strands so clearly is because she has a decent camera, and many of them are against a dark background, and are catching the light. It does seem to have the floatiness, compaction, and transparency of fine hair. It may be a good mix, as many do.

Annalouise
October 31st, 2016, 01:11 PM
I have seen people on here describe their fine hair as feeling like spider webs and mine is nothing like that. I twirrled a strand of hair between my thumb and first finger and kind of felt it a little bit. So it's definitely possible I'm an F/M.
I guess acceptance is really all I can do after the hair spray has done its job. I've always had whispies and cow licks. If I had to describe my hair with one word it would be feral. But I'm glad to know this is normal and not damage related. Finger combing doesn't make my hair feel nice. It gets stringy and piecy easily, and brushing seems to be the only way I can prevent it from looking totally unkempt. I look messy and disheveled very quickly if I don't keep on top of things.

That is exactly right. I describe my hair as 'cobweb' hair. Luckily for you if its not quite that thin then its better because it will be easier to grow it to long lengths. We have to work with the hair we've got and not everyone has the perfect hair if you know what I mean. But its all beautiful to me!
My hair is like yours in that I can't wear it in braids because the braid will get all fuzzy and it's a mess after a few hours. And you don't want your hair rubbing on your neck or shoulders either as that creates tiny tangles that are hard to get out. I've found the easiest thing is to wear a bun all the time. It's boring but it stops all the tangles and mess from happening.:o Either that or just wear it down. But I don't often wear my hair down.

Annalouise
October 31st, 2016, 01:15 PM
Also, do not wear updos that involve "twisting" the hair. That also creates tangles for me. So I just wrap the length around the center, do NOT twist it (like when you ring out a towel by twisting it...don't do that). That's just a tip for keeping fine hair from tangling even in a bun. :D

RavenRose
October 31st, 2016, 01:19 PM

Ah you posted as I was typing- yeah that sounds like you might be on the cusp of fine/med. String and piecy is characteristic of 1b/1c hair from my understranding...

littlestarface
October 31st, 2016, 06:08 PM
That is exactly right. I describe my hair as 'cobweb' hair. Luckily for you if its not quite that thin then its better because it will be easier to grow it to long lengths. We have to work with the hair we've got and not everyone has the perfect hair if you know what I mean. But its all beautiful to me!
My hair is like yours in that I can't wear it in braids because the braid will get all fuzzy and it's a mess after a few hours. And you don't want your hair rubbing on your neck or shoulders either as that creates tiny tangles that are hard to get out. I've found the easiest thing is to wear a bun all the time. It's boring but it stops all the tangles and mess from happening.:o Either that or just wear it down. But I don't often wear my hair down.

My hair feels like cobwebs and wat you describe happens to me too. Now i'm wearing my braids in buns cuz my hair gets a real mess in just leaving the braid down hanging. My hair is very delicate and gets matted not tangles tho. I wonder if I have alot of fine hairs? cuz I never hear anyone with M hair have my hair problems.

Annalouise
October 31st, 2016, 06:19 PM
My hair feels like cobwebs and wat you describe happens to me too. Now i'm wearing my braids in buns cuz my hair gets a real mess in just leaving the braid down hanging. My hair is very delicate and gets matted not tangles tho. I wonder if I have alot of fine hairs? cuz I never hear anyone with M hair have my hair problems.

It sounds like you have fine hairs. At least some mixed in, or F/M instead of M. I can't wear a braid down my back either or it gets very messy. The only way I can wear a braid is to put a high ponytail in, and braid down the hair so that the braid is not touching my back. But I don't really like to use hair elastics so I don't do that very often. From your picture your hair looks like it could be fine because of the 'halo' I see around your hair. :)

littlestarface
October 31st, 2016, 06:29 PM
It sounds like you have fine hairs. At least some mixed in, or F/M instead of M. I can't wear a braid down my back either or it gets very messy. The only way I can wear a braid is to put a high ponytail in, and braid down the hair so that the braid is not touching my back. But I don't really like to use hair elastics so I don't do that very often. From your picture your hair looks like it could be fine because of the 'halo' I see around your hair. :)

Ya I think so too I always thought so and my hair strands are real thin hairs, the thickest hairs are only my whites and there's a huge difference between them. Thanks for helping me figure it out sweety! :blossom:

Annalouise
October 31st, 2016, 06:36 PM
Ya I think so too I always thought so and my hair strands are real thin hairs, the thickest hairs are only my whites and there's a huge difference between them. Thanks for helping me figure it out sweety! :blossom:

I'm glad I could return the favor.:cheer: Cheers sis!

yahirwaO.o
October 31st, 2016, 06:49 PM

You have basically described my own hair! Overall looks straight but cowlicks and wispies are insane and the only way to make it acceptable is brushing and-or reweting them. My hair does look less frizzy when I have finger combed braid waves, still looks too piecy for my taste and still unkept. So I prefer to make it fluffy, then hair spray it and deal with it just like so!!!! (sometimes it looks super cool and sometimes I look like a a cave man) So acceptance is the key I think ;)

FennFire911
October 31st, 2016, 10:34 PM
Just thought you all could enjoy laugh. One night I was in the woods trying to photograph dear, but I was getting more attention from the mosquitoes. So I took both hands and "scratched" with my fingertips. ( there was no real scratching involved, I cut my fingernails all the way down to the skin.) my crown of cow licked whispies has let to much amusement over the years.
The danger is real!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/foxfire_ga79/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5449_zpsxlvoid77.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/foxfire_ga79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5449_zpsxlvoid77.jpg.html)

Gothic
November 1st, 2016, 05:44 AM
Just thought you all could enjoy laugh. One night I was in the woods trying to photograph dear, but I was getting more attention from the mosquitoes. So I took both hands and "scratched" with my fingertips. ( there was no real scratching involved, I cut my fingernails all the way down to the skin.) my crown of cow licked whispies has let to much amusement over the years.
The danger is real!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/foxfire_ga79/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5449_zpsxlvoid77.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/foxfire_ga79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5449_zpsxlvoid77.jpg.html)
Oh my, this is how my fine hair looks everytime I take off my beanie and I always wonder why is my entire class looking at me lol.

FennFire911
November 1st, 2016, 06:38 AM
Oh my, this is how my fine hair looks everytime I take off my beanie and I always wonder why is my entire class looking at me lol.

Beanies are definitely the same! Lol One day I took a patient into the ER and one of the nurses teased me in a joking way about me wearing the beanie inside. I took it off and my hair popped up like this and I explained to him that once the hat goes on there's no going back. It's on for the day and it's a decision I make in the morning. He laughed his head off and said to just put it back on and leave it there rofl