PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff and hair loss , help needed

happiness
October 30th, 2016, 05:23 AM
i am from INDIA and living in UAE for the last 2 years.
Basically my hair is a bit straight so i keep my hair always around 10-15 cm long.
Now i am losing hair drastically .
Physically i don't see much hairs while i bath or anywhere and now when my scalp becomes more and more visible.That i noticed.
I am suffering from dandruff, i have it a lot.
If i wash my hair and scalp with a shampoo and scratch my scamp to remove dandruff , it will get removed for 1 day .
On the next day it will appear again .I use oil 2,3 times a week, wash my hair everyday , use shampoo once a week.
If i wash my hair and remove all oil in the morning , then at the evening of next day if i scratch my scalp i can see dirt in the gap b/w nail and finger .
So i wash my hair every day.I use oil 2,3 times a week.
please suggest some solution friends .

lapushka
October 30th, 2016, 05:40 AM
I would stop using oil on the scalp, that's something you have control over. Some people can't handle oil on the scalp, and if you should have seborrheic dermatitis rather than dandruff, then oil on the scalp is *not* a good idea as it feeds the fungal overgrowth.

I would go see a dermatologist, pronto!

happiness
October 30th, 2016, 06:04 AM
But if i stop using oil , my hair will become very dry (like after using a shampoo).

I would stop using oil on the scalp, that's something you have control over. Some people can't handle oil on the scalp, and if you should have seborrheic dermatitis rather than dandruff, then oil on the scalp is *not* a good idea as it feeds the fungal overgrowth.

I would go see a dermatologist, pronto!

Apolli
October 30th, 2016, 07:34 AM
What shampoos are you using? Some of them can be very drying and if they dry out your hair you might be better off switching them. But yes lapushka is right, reconsider oiling your scalp (you can oil the ends only, without getting hair on your scalp) because it can cause irritation or excess shedding in some people.

Some small amounts of dandruff is normal too, just so you know.
Are you also completely sure you are suffering from hair loss?

lapushka
October 30th, 2016, 04:39 PM
But if i stop using oil , my hair will become very dry (like after using a shampoo).

Well you have to try at least something different, or you'll not get to the bottom of this issue, right? I mean, that's why you came here for advice. Only put shampoo on your scalp, let the suds travel down, and then use conditioner *only* on the lengths. It should not dry your hair out that much.

You have to start somewhere and try something.

Or, else, just go to the doctor. :)

Annalouise
October 30th, 2016, 05:04 PM
I don't have dandruff, but if I was you I would use a dandruff shampoo like head and shoulders. They are formulated for dandruff.
And like Lapushka said, don't put anything else on your scalp because if your hair is falling out then you might have a fungal issue.
Better to stop it now, then to wait until you lose MORE hair. shudder:

Obsidian
October 30th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Lapushka is right, if you do seborrheic dermatitis and it sounds more like that instead of dandruff, oil makes it worse. Dandruff is dry flaky skin, SD is more oily and can be scratched off like you are experiencing. I have SD, so does Lapushka, we know from personal experience that oil is terrible on the scalp.

For years I could only use shampoo, no conditioners, oils or leave in's. I finally found a conditioner that doesn't bother my scalp, it was recommended by Lapushka and has been the best product I've ever used on my hair. Its herbal essence hello hydration, I would suggest trying it instead of the oil and only on the ends of your hair. Nothing should touch your scalp besides shampoo.

Ultimately, you need to see a doctor though. We can guess whats wrong and you can keep trying different things and still never get relief. I would have never gotten help for my SD if it wasn't diagnosed by a doctor. A unhealthy scalp is more likely to experience hair loss, its also a good idea to get some blood tests to check for thyroid issues and iron levels.

lapushka
October 30th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Ultimately, you need to see a doctor though. We can guess whats wrong and you can keep trying different things and still never get relief. I would have never gotten help for my SD if it wasn't diagnosed by a doctor. A unhealthy scalp is more likely to experience hair loss, its also a good idea to get some blood tests to check for thyroid issues and iron levels.

Yep, I *definitely* agree with that! Advice on a forum is great, but we can only do so much. SD is a tough beast, but if it's regular dandruff it's different. A doctor is the only one who can tell you, for sure.

happiness
November 5th, 2016, 01:50 AM
Thank you friends for suggestions.
I have a doubt that since my hair is just around 12-15 cm long ,how can i use some conditioner only on my hair without touching scalp ?..
To avoid dryness of hair due to shampoo , which is better serum or oily hair gels or oil itself ( only on hair not on scalp ) ?..

lapushka
November 5th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Thank you friends for suggestions.
I have a doubt that since my hair is just around 12-15 cm long ,how can i use some conditioner only on my hair without touching scalp ?..
To avoid dryness of hair due to shampoo , which is better serum or oily hair gels or oil itself ( only on hair not on scalp ) ?..

I don't even think for hair that short that you can use conditioner. I'd leave it out if you can't manage to get it in your hair without it touching the scalp. Are you talking CO-washing? It's something I wouldn't do with the issues you're facing, but YMMV.

happiness
November 6th, 2016, 03:13 AM
No, i use anti dandruff shampoo to remove dandruff, but it make my hair very dry .
That is why i need some gel ,oil or something else to make it a bit wet or oily .
But the problem is nothing other than shampoo should touch the scalp .
In this scenario which is the best option to make my hair a bit wet or oily ?. Serum is good ?..

I don't even think for hair that short that you can use conditioner. I'd leave it out if you can't manage to get it in your hair without it touching the scalp. Are you talking CO-washing? It's something I wouldn't do with the issues you're facing, but YMMV.

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 04:35 AM
No, i use anti dandruff shampoo to remove dandruff, but it make my hair very dry .
That is why i need some gel ,oil or something else to make it a bit wet or oily .
But the problem is nothing other than shampoo should touch the scalp .
In this scenario which is the best option to make my hair a bit wet or oily ?. Serum is good ?..

You could use a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner or a serum, yes. Just on the very ends, because 12-15cm isn't that long.

happiness
November 6th, 2016, 06:03 AM
i am a male and can you please suggest any working method to regrow the hair that lost in a couple of years at least to an extend ?..

You could use a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner or a serum, yes. Just on the very ends, because 12-15cm isn't that long.

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 07:57 AM
i am a male and can you please suggest any working method to regrow the hair that lost in a couple of years at least to an extend ?..

What do you mean, re-grow? Is it due to balding? Because if it is, you need to go see a doctor. I would suggest so anyhow, for that "dandruff". Otherwise, just have patience like the rest of us. :)

Pixiebella
November 6th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Tea tree oil is amazing for this. I was shedding like crazy until I started using tea tree and rosemary essential oils, but I think the most helpful was the tea tree. It's a natural antifungal. I've come to learn the hard way (and this might be just my experience - I'm not saying that others don't have good advice) that just about everything can be healed in a more natural way, and that the chemical and commercial product path tends to have consequences either immediately or way down the line, but it seems to always catch up in one way or another. Do a google on natural dandruff tx and see what you find. Good luck!

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Tea tree oil is amazing for this. I was shedding like crazy until I started using tea tree and rosemary essential oils, but I think the most helpful was the tea tree. It's a natural antifungal. I've come to learn the hard way (and this might be just my experience - I'm not saying that others don't have good advice) that just about everything can be healed in a more natural way, and that the chemical and commercial product path tends to have consequences either immediately or way down the line, but it seems to always catch up in one way or another. Do a google on natural dandruff tx and see what you find. Good luck!

You can't use tea tree on your scalp undiluted without a carrier oil. Preferably not, in any case. ;)

I am a user of "so-called" chemicals and I have no issues with it. I hate the fear mongering that goes along with it, TBH. There is nothing wrong with these methods.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :)