PDA

View Full Version : 8 year anniversary

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Hi :o

Ive had a break from LHC for a while and I'm back again.

I also haven't done a anniversary thread in 4 years.

my anniversary is in December but its super busy then, so I thought I do it early

picture heavy and some of the pics are big I cant re size them

All my childhood and teenage life I had long hair. I was TBL and it was beautiful. Then I messed with it dyes, heat,braids, combs, using products that would lead to further breakage because it wasn't suited to me.

my hair in 2008 my first pic
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25046&d=1477735347

I was no cones no sulfates here also had left over dye damage
experiments with egg washes, natural shampoo

My hair in 2009

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25047&d=1477735364
Breakage, breakage, breakage

my hair was very damaged I think by baking soda, braids, leaving in coconut oil on dry hair, shampoo bars, combs, most likely all of it combined.
I didn't use them correctly, so I paid for it.

I cut 14 inches off my hair. I went up to Apl.

I lost a lot of my hair pics so there will be time jumping.

my hair here in 2012

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25048&d=1477736069
I was using Alberto balsam vo5 shampoo and conditioner with cones still using combs and leaving in coconut oil.

It again broke at the same place, so back up to chin this time
Combs I believed caused it.

My hair in 2014
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25050&d=1477736166

I reached waist and again cut to chin in 2013. Here in 2014 I reached BSL. Using sulfates and cones ditched the combs and hello tangle teezer :crush:

my hair 2015

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25051&d=1477736208

guess..... I cut again lol
I got diagnosed with psoriasis, so with panic, I go so p*ssed off with the psoriasis,I felt down with it. I cut layers and a v shape hemline and cut all the way back to APL.. instant regret

My hair now 2016

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25056&d=1477736676

I am now a little past BSL . I have my psoriasis in control and happy with current routine, yeah! No more bloody cutting :D
sulfates ,cones and brushes make my hair happy. vosene medicated shampoo is my babes! :heartbeat

So in 8 years I haven't reached my goal of knee and been at chin and APL many times. I will get to my goal of knee length hair

so my advice

please please please please 100000000000000000x! Listen to your hair

don't force hair care things that are in trend or you think that's natural it's good. Or this person has super beautiful hair I will use her/his technique
NO

Your hair will respond and show what it likes. If your hair loves no cones/cones, no sulfates/sulfates or cheese burgers rubbed in
do that and continue what works. Don't fix what's not broke, a wise saying for hair care

please learn from my mistakes xxx <3

Your hair will grow long because you are listening to your hair not someone else hair. it's okay getting inspiration for a routine, but do it with care and don't force it if hair responds negatively.

I would have properly been past knee now if I only I stuck with my childhood routine of no heat, no dyes, washing sulfates, cones ,brushes and no braids.

Thanks for reading and good luck on your hair journey xx

embee
October 29th, 2016, 05:46 AM
I can't see any pics, so sorry. It's interesting to read your tale of woe and I agree: listen to your hair. Here's hoping you make your goal. :)

LadyCelestina
October 29th, 2016, 05:48 AM
^ Me neither :( but I like your advice of listening to what your hair needs :thumbsup:

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 05:51 AM
Can you see now?
I think I had my album on private so it blocked the pics sorry xx

Hailwidis
October 29th, 2016, 05:51 AM
I can see the pictures :)

Congratulations on your hairversary. Your hair looks so healthy and shiny now!

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 05:54 AM
I can see the pictures :)

Congratulations on your hairversary. Your hair looks so healthy and shiny now!

Thank you! :o

LaísB
October 29th, 2016, 06:11 AM
You hair looks so pretty now, seriously, it looks wonderful!!!! :cheer::cheer: Also I loved that advoice you gave, we really should listen to what our hair wants and needs, not to teh trendy treatment of the moment. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Bea18
October 29th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Congratulations on the aniversary! Your hair looks amazing!!!

hanne jensen
October 29th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Your hair looks very healthy and beautiful. Don't worry, you'll reach your goal of knee. I'm in the same boat as you were-tried stuff that my hair hated and had to chop.

Don't be sad about the hair that's gone, revel in the gorgeous hair that you have now.

Happy growing!

lapushka
October 29th, 2016, 07:19 AM
please please please please 100000000000000000x! Listen to your hair

don't force hair care things that are in trend or you think that's natural it's good. Or this person has super beautiful hair I will use her/his technique
NO

Your hair will respond and show what it likes. If your hair loves no cones/cones, no sulfates/sulfates or cheese burgers rubbed in
do that and continue what works. Don't fix what's not broke, a wise saying for hair care

please learn from my mistakes xxx <3

Your hair will grow long because you are listening to your hair not someone else hair. it's okay getting inspiration for a routine, but do it with care and don't force it if hair responds negatively.

Definitely! It's like what I always say, it's about what your hair (scalp) wants, not about what you want for your hair (scalp).

I'm glad you're back at BSL now and your psoriasis is under control (that is *big* in and of itself).

Happy growing. I hope you'll reach knee someday, though I'm sure you will! :D

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 08:08 AM
You hair looks so pretty now, seriously, it looks wonderful!!!! :cheer::cheer: Also I loved that advoice you gave, we really should listen to what our hair wants and needs, not to teh trendy treatment of the moment. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Thank you for the lovely comment :)

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Congratulations on the aniversary! Your hair looks amazing!!!

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Your hair looks very healthy and beautiful. Don't worry, you'll reach your goal of knee. I'm in the same boat as you were-tried stuff that my hair hated and had to chop.

Don't be sad about the hair that's gone, revel in the gorgeous hair that you have now.

Happy growing!

Thank you! :)

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Definitely! It's like what I always say, it's about what your hair (scalp) wants, not about what you want for your hair (scalp).

I'm glad you're back at BSL now and your psoriasis is under control (that is *big* in and of itself).

Happy growing. I hope you'll reach knee someday, though I'm sure you will! :D

Thank you! :)

Yep psoriasis or any scalp condition is truly horrible. I'm glad it's a lot better now. I most happy about that :)

spidermom
October 29th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Hi! Nice to see you pop in for a visit.

Haha - as far as listening to my hair, it doesn't communicate in a language I can understand.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 29th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Hello
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I know what you mean. I only do whatever my hair likes and keeps her happy. I wish you all the best in your hair growing journey. Good luck on achieving your goal.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Hello
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I know what you mean. I only do whatever my hair likes and keeps her happy. I wish you all the best in your hair growing journey. Good luck on achieving your goal.

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Hi! Nice to see you pop in for a visit.

Haha - as far as listening to my hair, it doesn't communicate in a language I can understand.

Thank you :)

Yeah hair can indeed be fussy thing.

Well when me and my hair are not communicating. I tie her up in an metal elastic and show her the hair dryer, then we have an understanding. lol ( I know cheesy joke :cheese:)

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Hello

vampyyri
October 29th, 2016, 09:06 AM
It looks so full and beautiful now!! Happy hairiversary! :joy:

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 09:16 AM
It looks so full and beautiful now!! Happy hairiversary! :joy:

Thank you :o

TatsuOni
October 29th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Congrats! Your hair looks great! :) I might try the cheese burger method some day :laugh:

Medievalmaniac
October 29th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Congratulations on 8 years of LHC! Your hair looks wonderfully healthy, shiny, and vibrant. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

littlestarface
October 29th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Your hair has always looked real pretty to me in those pics so wavy and shiny pretty color too. It's a shame you had so much breakage and had to cut so many times :( Your hair now is much darker then the earlier ones, I wonder if its just the lighting?

hobbitlocks
October 29th, 2016, 12:26 PM
You have such pretty waves! Happy Anniversary! I've been giggling to myself about the idea of rubbing a cheeseburger into my hair... :)

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Congrats! Your hair looks great! :) I might try the cheese burger method some day :laugh:

Water only, sulfates ,non sulfates, herb washing , co washing all good if your own personal hair likes it. I like eating cheese burgers, maybe my hair will lol.

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Congratulations on 8 years of LHC! Your hair looks wonderfully healthy, shiny, and vibrant. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Aww thank you :o

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Your hair has always looked real pretty to me in those pics so wavy and shiny pretty color too. It's a shame you had so much breakage and had to cut so many times :( Your hair now is much darker then the earlier ones, I wonder if its just the lighting?

I do wonder how long my hair would have been if the breakage never happened.

My hair colour is a shade lighter than my recent 2016 photo. I never been able to caputre my hair colour properly. The 2008 photo looks reddish when it was in fact a golden light brown from past dye lol. I'm sure my hair is part chameleon. Lol.

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 01:12 PM
You have such pretty waves! Happy Anniversary! I've been giggling to myself about the idea of rubbing a cheeseburger into my hair... :)

Thank you :flower:

Lol :lol: cheeseburger hair treatment, a good source of protein for your hair. Lol

EliseMarie
October 29th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! So shiny and healthy. Thanks for the timely advice. I have been experimenting too much :)

spidermom
October 29th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Cheesy but funny. I may have to threaten mine with the flat iron (only used with bangs, which I don't have anymore).

janeytilllie
October 29th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! So shiny and healthy. Thanks for the timely advice. I have been experimenting too much :)

It's often praised combs are the best for wavy/ curly hair and that brushes cause breakage. I used brushes as a child no problems but then I followed the comb only for years and each time hearing my hair snap and tangle no matter how careful I was. Combs are the devil for me, something that is said to be best for waves and curls.

I would hear my hair snap and I would think I'm doing good! :lol:
I didn't pay attention to my hair wants. So I paid for it.

BookishRay
October 29th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Your hair is lovely!

I have experimented in the past...one episode of baking soda/acv routine comes to mind. Luckily my hair was already short at the time and I listened to my hair before the damage was too bad. I've been over thinking my hair routine lately and thinking of experimenting, but maybe I should just stick with what I'm doing and keep my experimenting to a minimum. My hair does like combs over the general every day brush, but I need to get my hands on a seamless one.

Thank you for posting this and giving us all encouragement.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 29th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Congratulations on 8 years of LHC! Yes, listening to what your hair wants is probably the most important thing when it comes to hair growth.

Your hair looks fabulous, and I'm sure you will reach knee with your determination :)

QueenMadge
October 29th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Happiest anniversary Janeytillie! Your hair looks great.

irishsapphire
October 29th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Hi :o..........

Very sage advice, although I don't know if I'd be brave enough to rub cheeseburgers into my hair:hmm::hmm:.... The puppy might start eating them and my hair! :yumm::grin::grin:

Thank you for sharing your story! Your hair is so lovely! And obviously happy. Maybe there's something to the cheeseburger thing after all :hmm::hmm::cheese:

eta: clicking buttons too quickly

janeytilllie
October 30th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Your hair is lovely!

I have experimented in the past...one episode of baking soda/acv routine comes to mind. Luckily my hair was already short at the time and I listened to my hair before the damage was too bad. I've been over thinking my hair routine lately and thinking of experimenting, but maybe I should just stick with what I'm doing and keep my experimenting to a minimum. My hair does like combs over the general every day brush, but I need to get my hands on a seamless one.

Thank you for posting this and giving us all encouragement.

The best hair care routine is what makes your hair happy. :)
Took me 8 years of messing up, because of new trends.

I think it's okay to experiment if your current routine isn't doing it for your hair. But definitely be careful and if your hair responds negativity then stop it and don't force it. :)

Good luck :)

janeytilllie
October 30th, 2016, 12:57 AM
Congratulations on 8 years of LHC! Yes, listening to what your hair wants is probably the most important thing when it comes to hair growth.

Your hair looks fabulous, and I'm sure you will reach knee with your determination :)

janeytilllie
October 30th, 2016, 12:58 AM
Happiest anniversary Janeytillie! Your hair looks great.

janeytilllie
October 30th, 2016, 01:14 AM
Very sage advice, although I don't know if I'd be brave enough to rub cheeseburgers into my hair:hmm::hmm:.... The puppy might start eating them and my hair! :yumm::grin:

Thank you for sharing your story! Your hair is so lovely! And obviously happy. Maybe there's something to the cheeseburger thing after all :hmm::cheese:

:laugh: your comment brought me tears to my eyes

Maybe I've started a new hair trend, the cheese burger method. Lol :lol:

Thank you for the compliment :o

mermaid lullaby
October 31st, 2016, 12:58 PM
Very sage advice, although I don't know if I'd be brave enough to rub cheeseburgers into my hair:hmm::hmm:.... The puppy might start eating them and my hair! :yumm::grin::grin:

Thank you for sharing your story! Your hair is so lovely! And obviously happy. Maybe there's something to the cheeseburger thing after all :hmm::hmm::cheese:

I totally missed that :eye: that is really funny!
Happy 8th anniversary! Just want to say, that's admirably a long time!

Of the Fae
October 31st, 2016, 01:10 PM
Duuuude your hemline is amazing! So voluminous and curly!!! Your hair is absolutely beautiful! And shiny..
:thud:

Vallena
October 31st, 2016, 01:30 PM
Your hair now looks so happy and shiney! Happy growing!

yahirwaO.o
October 31st, 2016, 06:34 PM
Stick to what you are currently doing now because your hair and hem is so awe lovely!!!!!!! :blossom:

I messed up with baking soda in the past and had the worst shedding! Actually your story is kinda like mine with the hairloss and trying so called natural methods.:couch:

Now my hair is happy with just basic shampooing every other day and once in a while a deep treatment. I have to say I love how your ends curl at the bottom, its so pretty!!!

Andthetalltrees
October 31st, 2016, 10:25 PM
I completely understand your advice and heed it. I experimented with all kinds of hair care things the first time I truly paid attention to my hair and though it did grow I got burnt out very quickly because it just was stressful. Now I'm back to a routine similar to when I didn't 'pay attention', and it's doing perfectly fine and I'm not tired of it.

janeytilllie
November 1st, 2016, 04:27 AM
I totally missed that :eye: that is really funny!
Happy 8th anniversary! Just want to say, that's admirably a long time!

janeytilllie
November 1st, 2016, 04:30 AM
Duuuude your hemline is amazing! So voluminous and curly!!! Your hair is absolutely beautiful! And shiny..
:thud:

Aww thank you! :o

janeytilllie
November 1st, 2016, 04:30 AM
Your hair now looks so happy and shiney! Happy growing!

Thank you :D

janeytilllie
November 1st, 2016, 04:37 AM
Stick to what you are currently doing now because your hair and hem is so awe lovely!!!!!!! :blossom:

I messed up with baking soda in the past and had the worst shedding! Actually your story is kinda like mine with the hairloss and trying so called natural methods.:couch:

Now my hair is happy with just basic shampooing every other day and once in a while a deep treatment. I have to say I love how your ends curl at the bottom, its so pretty!!!

Thank you for the sweet compliment :o

I'm glad you have a good hair routine :)
Happy hair always grows well.

janeytilllie
November 1st, 2016, 04:40 AM
I completely understand your advice and heed it. I experimented with all kinds of hair care things the first time I truly paid attention to my hair and though it did grow I got burnt out very quickly because it just was stressful. Now I'm back to a routine similar to when I didn't 'pay attention', and it's doing perfectly fine and I'm not tired of it.

That's exactly the key to long hair :) a good routine that your own personal hair likes.
Good luck with your hair journey :)

DarkChocolate
November 1st, 2016, 09:32 AM
Welcome back! I have always loved the wave pattern in your hair:)

Nymphe
November 1st, 2016, 09:46 AM
Nice timeline, lovely hair, and thank you for the sage advice.

janeytilllie
November 2nd, 2016, 04:28 AM
Welcome back! I have always loved the wave pattern in your hair:)

Thank you so much :o

janeytilllie
November 2nd, 2016, 04:29 AM
Nice timeline, lovely hair, and thank you for the sage advice.

Groovy Granny
November 2nd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Looks like I missed your post :doh:
What amazing growth....your hair is so shiny,thick, and luscious!
Happy belated anniversary ~ Congrats :applause

janeytilllie
November 2nd, 2016, 06:36 PM
Looks like I missed your post :doh:
What amazing growth....your hair is so shiny,thick, and luscious!
Happy belated anniversary ~ Congrats :applause

Aww thank you :o and thank you for the friend invite :)

CindyOfTheOaks
November 2nd, 2016, 07:20 PM
Congratulations on your 8 year LHC-aversary !
You have beautiful hair :)

coco mane
November 2nd, 2016, 07:41 PM
your hair is beautiful! the wave pattern is so becoming.

janeytilllie
November 6th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Congratulations on your 8 year LHC-aversary !
You have beautiful hair :)

janeytilllie
November 6th, 2016, 03:44 AM
your hair is beautiful! the wave pattern is so becoming.