PDA

View Full Version : deposit only dye in shampoo?

lilalong
October 28th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Has anyone tried to add a bit of deposit only dye to shampoo to help with fading?

Does it work? How much did you use?

Robot Ninja
October 28th, 2016, 07:37 AM
People usually add it to their conditioner. I've tried it, but I found the staining wasn't worth it. (Then again, I was using MP Fuchsia Shock at the time, which stains like crazy, so YMMV.)

Mrstran
October 28th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I've used a lightening shampoo & deposit rinse for darkening:

I haven't used The shampoo, I remember though that I used a deposit rinse years ago.
My hair was a light brown and I put a dark brown rinse on it and it turned out really nice. Though it faded very fast.

I know this isn't what you asked. Just leaving this info for an added pinch on shampoo tinting and coloring for anyone that finds this thread later that's looking for a bit of a color change.

I've also used a lightening shampoo by John Frieda. (SP). It says it's gentle and leaves your hair soft, not true. This stuff Is more damaging than I originally thought. It's using low volume bleach on each use. Even in that small amount it is equivalent to dying your hair with regular blonde dye each use and will fry your hair. Not safe even the least bit.

pastina
October 28th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I've added some to conditioner at times. I usually put a little blob of color into one of those travel sized bottles, then fill it most of the way with white conditioner, cap, and shake the heck out of it.

I agree with RobotNinja, I'm not sure it's really worth doing-- especially not at every wash. You probably will stain your hands every time you do it. It seems like a better idea to mix up a more concentrated batch of dye/conditioner and apply with gloves as a pre-wash treatment if you want to top up your color.

FWIW, I have much better luck maintaining color by stretching washes and doing scalp-only washes with cool water. A lot of people with colorful hair swear by co-washing, but I've never been able to successfully make that switch in the 15+ years I've been coloring.

arr
October 28th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I've added blue Manic Panic to both my shampoo and conditioner to counteract brassiness in my brown hair. I find I have to use it about every third wash to keep up the cool brown effect. I mix up a large amount in two plastic bottles to keep in the shower. I use quite a bit of dye in my mixtures; the shampoo is dark blue and the conditioner is a very vivid blue, deeper than pastel. It does mess up the tub but I can get the stains out using a bleach based cleanser. It's very annoying though.

I really wish I could find some other alternative but no other semi/demi dye gives as perfect and non damaging effect as the blue shampoo/conditioner. The reason I have this problem is because I'm not ready to embrace my grays, so I color just the roots with permanent brown dye. Eventually it fades away and leaves a brassiness due to the peroxide.