PDA

View Full Version : Considering a big change. LAYERS and V-hemline? Highlights? What do you think?

Wusel
October 28th, 2016, 06:13 AM
I'm sorry for inserting the video again but I don't have any other picture of my hair but this video.
And everybody who didn't see it already can see its structure there very well, when it moves and so.

I'm getting bored of my hair... :( I'm sorry...

It's stupid, I know... But... I do change styles very often, do different buns and braids but...
I'm sure you know what I mean... after 2 years... SO BORING! It's like... sometimes I can't stand this style anymore... :(
It's 2 years and 2 days exactly that I let it grow from a blunt chin length bob. Without trimming.
It's not damaged, not dry, not tangly... It's perfectly healthy boring hair... :(

To change something I gave me some bangs 2 months ago or so but it didn't help to make me enjoy my hair again.
What do you think about a layered style? Any ideas?
Subtle layers or longer layers?
Face framing layers?
I love long layers with a deep-V-hemline on others but... I'm not sure...
Or some light brown highlights?
Please, HELP.
I appreciate every advice.

EDIT: I forgot to say: I don't want to change the length too much. I still want to get to waist. I just want to change the style, the hemline, the whole appearance of my hair...

https://youtu.be/UhPdQ_f04rQ

EliseMarie
October 28th, 2016, 06:38 AM
I think your hair is lovely and it wouldn't be necessary to change a thing! If you want to add some long layers and keep your length that would be relatively low commitment, meaning you could easily grow them out if you didn't favor that look. Before considering highlights it is very important to consider your hair history. Do you have any color on it already?

Wusel
October 28th, 2016, 06:45 AM
I think your hair is lovely and it wouldn't be necessary to change a thing! If you want to add some long layers and keep your length that would be relatively low commitment, meaning you could easily grow them out if you didn't favor that look. Before considering highlights it is very important to consider your hair history. Do you have any color on it already?

Thank you.:) Yes... I do think it's pretty. But its boring-pretty :)
No. It's virgin hair. I never colored or permed it. I think that's why it got so boring. I had exactly this hairstyle for almost all my life. Since elementary school. When I see pictures from when I was 9 it looked like this, when I was 16 = again, the same hairstyle/color. 20 = the same. 25 = The same. My wedding at 32 = the same... It's like... I look always the same...
That's why I gave me the horrible, way too short layered haircut 4 years ago and the chin length bob... Just to change something and look different.
And now I'm back to how it was forever.

Wusel
October 28th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that my hair is getting wavy when it's shorter, so... Not every type of layers works, I'm afraid?

browneyedsusan
October 28th, 2016, 07:14 AM
First let me offer a quick solution:
I know you're a teacher, but could you put some color in it? Some deposit-only dyes would show up on your dark hair. (Manic Panic Vampire Red is bright, and has lots of staying power.) You could just do the ends, and hide the color in a bun at work?

Layers will make it hard to braid, but some people aren't bothered by that.

Your hair looks great to me. Just saying. :flower:

Second:
What is going on? Is this "change my hair every couple of years" a normal pattern for you? If that's the way you roll, then roll. I get that. I change my hair all the time. (I have black in the underlayer now.) Else, something else is going on, and you're hyper focused on your hair? Have you been through some personal drama? Break-ups, job changes, deaths, can cause us to get a little crazy with our hair! (If that's the case, try to get your head around the trouble. We're here for you, but don't need to know your business unless sharing helps you heal from it.)

Third:
I don't think this is you, but some people just aren't happy. With anything. Including their hair. No matter what they do, it isn't good enough. They keep trying to get it "right", but aren't capable of relaxing and enjoying what they've got. Perfect hair doesn't exist. Neither does a perfect life. Too bad, so sad. (Again, I don't think this is you, but we all know people like this, don't we? They're SO much fun to be around. :rolleyes: If you have people in your life bringing you down. Try not to get any of their :poop: on ya!)

I hope you find a solution to your boredom, and are better with your hair. It's very pretty the way it lays, but would be pretty with layers or a different hemline too!
Yours in enjoying long hair,
Susan :inlove:

calmyogi
October 28th, 2016, 08:59 AM
I would make sure it's what you want by giving it a couple of weeks, but if you wear your hair in a bun, or down most of the time layers can add movement and shape to your hair. I would start with long ones though. V hemlines are nice if you don't mind a long tassel on your braid, or you don't braid much anyways. I don't mind the long tassel, but I feel like it will look better when my hair is much longer. Now it's like my tassel is as long as the braided part of the hair is. I like your hair the way it is now though, and you have a beautiful hemline. I understand wanting change though and I feel like hair that has a tendency to poof up or has lots of texture a shaped hemline looks better. Stick straight hair looks awe worthy with a perfect straight hemline.

spidermom
October 28th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Change can be good. I say go for it!

Wusel
October 28th, 2016, 09:06 AM
First let me offer a quick solution:
I know you're a teacher, but could you put some color in it? Some deposit-only dyes would show up on your dark hair. (Manic Panic Vampire Red is bright, and has lots of staying power.) You could just do the ends, and hide the color in a bun at work?

Layers will make it hard to braid, but some people aren't bothered by that.

Your hair looks great to me. Just saying. :flower:

Second:
What is going on? Is this "change my hair every couple of years" a normal pattern for you? If that's the way you roll, then roll. I get that. I change my hair all the time. (I have black in the underlayer now.) Else, something else is going on, and you're hyper focused on your hair? Have you been through some personal drama? Break-ups, job changes, deaths, can cause us to get a little crazy with our hair! (If that's the case, try to get your head around the trouble. We're here for you, but don't need to know your business unless sharing helps you heal from it.)

Third:
I don't think this is you, but some people just aren't happy. With anything. Including their hair. No matter what they do, it isn't good enough. They keep trying to get it "right", but aren't capable of relaxing and enjoying what they've got. Perfect hair doesn't exist. Neither does a perfect life. Too bad, so sad. (Again, I don't think this is you, but we all know people like this, don't we? They're SO much fun to be around. :rolleyes: If you have people in your life bringing you down. Try not to get any of their :poop: on ya!)

I hope you find a solution to your boredom, and are better with your hair. It's very pretty the way it lays, but would be pretty with layers or a different hemline too!
Yours in enjoying long hair,
Susan :inlove:

Thank you, Susan.
I don't know what it is but I think there's an empty hole inside of me which wants to be filled up with something. The empty hole because my son's father died of a heart attack when my son was 6 months. One year after our wedding.
It's 9,5 years ago... I can't be perfectly happy because of this and I'll surely never be. I was left with a baby, a ton of debts and had to work full time, had no time to enjoy my baby because I was at work and he was with my mom... He started walking, his first two steps, and I wasn't there, and always tired like hell and sad and under pressure... Maybe it's this...
And I'm through a horrible breakup with my boyfriend. 4 months ago. He was abusive, alcoholic, and treated me really bad and it took me a long time to get out of this because I wanted to have somebody for me and my son...
I got rid of all clothes I was wearing with him and bought a ton of new stuff, to get over it and to forget everything he did to me...
I'm still not over it, I think... I blame myself every day that I spent so much time with such a bad person... such an a**hole... I was so blind...

lapushka
October 28th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I would not go for compact cuts if you have hair between BSL & waist. You *will* be shocked at how short the layers can be, and I'm sure that's not what you want if you want length first & foremost.

You seem frustrated with the lack of growth, the lack of length, so why cut it shorter then? That's what puzzles me the most.

Patience, girl, patience! ;)

Wusel
October 28th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I would not go for compact cuts if you have hair between BSL & waist. You *will* be shocked at how short the layers can be, and I'm sure that's not what you want if you want length first & foremost.

You seem frustrated with the lack of growth, the lack of length, so why cut it shorter then? That's what puzzles me the most.

Patience, girl, patience! ;)

Yes... I'm worried about the lack of growth... I'm frustrated because of this too, that's right of course... If it grew it would be different because with growth the appearance changes but it doesn't and it's the same since months...

pailin
October 28th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Have you experimented at all with heatless curls? If you haven't maybe that would be a nice change. Or a new style to do with your hair as is. Or possibly a deposit only dye if it wouldn't be inappropriate for work- your hair is dark enough that it wouldn't be as shocking of a change as on light hair.
It sounds like you want a change but don't want to lose any length, so unless you're really certain I'd wait on cutting layers. Or is it possible that a change elsewhere in your appearance would help instead?

spidermom
October 28th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I've noticed that my own hair will appear not to grow at all for months, then I'll get a growth spurt. If it's the lack of change in length that's frustrating you, hang in there or you'll miss your own growth spurt.

I've noticed that when I have a lot of negative going on in my life, I want to change my hair. I think it's because when I can't control anything else, I CAN control my hair (to a certain extent haha). Sometimes making a change is refreshing and feels like shedding a lot of old baggage. Other times it feels like a mistake. If I were you, I'd make a subtle change at first, like maybe change the shape of your hem without adding layers; see how that feels.

I did that this month. I decided I absolutely had to cut it, so I had about 4 inches cut. By the end of a week, I realized that wasn't enough and went back to have 6 more inches cut.

browneyedsusan
October 28th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Mild thread derail:
OP
It smells like "empty hole syndrome" to me. Stop beating yourself up. Right now.

Bad things happen. None of the things you mention are your fault. You asked for none of it. You mourn, and move on. Moving on, and enjoying the rest of your life does not minimize the pain of the loss, or diminish the memories of the time you had together. Your son's father would want you to be happy again, wouldn't he? Wouldn't you want that for him, if he survived your loss?

You have so many things to be thankful for, but your perspective is all jacked up.
1) You have a son. A healthy, strong son. You missed some things when he was wee. EVERYONE DOES. (If they tell you otherwise, they're big, fat liars.) You'll miss more things. Everyone does. Also, everyone screws up when parenting. Do the best you can. It will be just fine. Children are incredibly resiliant. You're gonna make mistakes with DS. It'll make him strong and smart. He's going to grow up to be a fine man. :)
2) You were able to leave DS with your mom. I so wish I could have done that. Living 300 miles from parents, means my children don't have close relationships with their grandparents. (Again, too bad, so sad. Life isn't perfect. DS21 and DD19 get along good with their grandparents and treasure the times they are able to share with them.)
2) You can work hard. You have been blessed with a strong body and sharp mind. You can use your gifts to bless others and make their lives better. You've managed to keep this job for how long? You're doing fantastic. *snaps for OP* (Everyone gets tired. Work hard anyway. It provides a good model for DS, and for your co-workers.) :)
3) You can feel pressure and stress. Your moral compass is working. You are aware of yourself and situations. You are perceptive. Yay!
4) You got rid of a nasty boyfriend. That is AWESOME! You're still young. Even if you were my age, I'd be thrilled that you kicked him to the curb, because you'd still have 20ish good years to enjoy yourself. There are worse things than being alone. WAY worse things. You've been there and done that. You can be enough for your son. You've seen other women do it, and you can do it too. (If a great guy falls in your lap, that's wonderful, but not necessary. You can do this yourself if you have to.) It's not easy, but you're young and strong and smart. You can totally do this. You've got this. All day long. For as long as it takes.

You need to change the way you look at things. You're coping quite well.
You are a very lucky girl. Very lucky, indeed.

:blossom:
Go get 'em, Tiger.

---
Your hair looks great. Really. It does.
It will look great if you change it, too. You've got good hair.
Lucky!

lapushka
October 28th, 2016, 10:34 AM

Go get 'em, Tiger.

---
Lucky!

Well put, BES, couldn't have said it better myself!

I just want to scream at the screen, "snap out of it, girl"! So bad. :lol:

Things go wrong, they often do, and the thing is, you can't change any of it, but... you can change your hair and therein hides mistake N°1! Give yourself the 2-week rule (the thread is around here somewhere). Then if you still want to do anything to your hair, go for it. But DO NOT do anything on impulse, and this is... impulsive!

samanthaa
October 28th, 2016, 10:42 AM
That's your hair with no trimming? Like, at all? It looks great!

I for one don't think others can tell you what to do with your hair, but if you do choose to make a change, make sure it's a change you're okay with living with if you eventually decide it's no longer for you. Will you have the patience to grow out layers or highlights?

Alissalocks
October 28th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Wow, you have definitely been through the wringer, and I agree with what was said also, stop and remember all you have achieved, because I know I often have a tendency to focus on the goals I didn't meet, and take for granted the ones I did.

I love to play with my hair too, and often will use color as a way for me to tinker with my look without doing too much damage, or sacrificing length. And during times of high Stress? OMG I often take it out on my hair, I admit. I'll cut and color my way through an emotional crisis, dunno why. Maybe on a deeper level, my hair becomes something I *can* control, compared to life in general.

Sometimes just a streak, or even just chalking my bangs/streak of hair regularly for a week or so, will help me change things up without committing to too much of a new look if an all over color change isn't appealing. Since you mention your hair is virgin, I'm guessing you don't want to bleach etc, so chalking can be fun.

Lastly? I think your hair would look great with layers, it has so much body that encouraging the natural wave you mentioned might be fun. There's always the wait-2-weeks guideline and cut it then, if you find you're certain! I had blunt hemline, then around top of BSL I cut layers in for movement in my hair, and am now dusting the ends from a V to a U. So I don't regret cutting layers (last year) and you may decide the change will do you good. No, changing our hair doesn't affect the problems we also carry... but it's fun!

calmyogi
October 28th, 2016, 12:59 PM
You have been through a lot wusel. I can relate some what. My husband was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 months after we were married. While he was in the midst of his treatments my mom became ill and later was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. So while my husband was finishing up his chemo my mom died. I had made the decision to send my daughter across the country to live with her grandparents Becuase I was dealing with my mother and my husband being ill. She lived with them for almost 2 years from 5-7. She would come back home during the summer though, but this way during the school
Year she had a stable home to be in. This all happened in 2013. Fast forward a couple of years. We moved across the country to where my in laws live, but my husband was still dealing with a lot of his health issues. He gained lots of weight during his chemo and had to have a complete hip replacement at 37. A couple of months after he was recooperating From the surgery last fall my father died of a heart attack suddenly, while traveling, on my birthday. I understand what your feeling and it's been almost a year since my last parent passed away, my husbands health is better, but isn't 100% and i deal with this daily. It's hard being married to a 38 year old that has a body of a 75 year old. Especially since I'm pretty active myself. Sometimes when I'm feeling really down I want to just shave my head lol. I feel like maybe I obsess over my hair a little too much sometimes because it's something I can control in my life.

I really think some long layers would look good in your hair though to give it movement and some shape. It is beautiful and I'm sure it will go through a growth spurt eventually. Hang in there and count your blessings. My daughter is about the same age as your son and it's such a great fun age. Enjoy him :)

Babyfine
October 28th, 2016, 07:51 PM
2 week rule. I agree with the poster that said to think about layers carefully as they can take ages to grow out.
One thought, though-- peek a boo highlights, just a very few. That's what I did. They can be grown out without much problem, and my hair still looks mainly dark but they are noticeable when I pull it back, put it up.
I can grow them out easily if I want- so I had them put in. they are carmel colored, not too light.

mizukitty
October 28th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I agree with the two week rule. I personally love layers and V cuts as it creates a lot of movement, volume, and body, but I know how frustrating it is to braid or bun hair with short layers. Maybe long layers would work? Kind of like this? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0e/2f/2a/0e2f2af4babe7349148888716430359a.jpg

Sorry if this is not at all your style or preference!! I hope you decide on something that makes you happy :flower:

Wusel
October 29th, 2016, 12:59 AM
That's your hair with no trimming? Like, at all? It looks great!

Thank you :) Yes, I didn't cut it since 2014.

Wusel
October 29th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Wow, you have definitely been through the wringer, and I agree with what was said also, stop and remember all you have achieved, because I know I often have a tendency to focus on the goals I didn't meet, and take for granted the ones I did.

I love to play with my hair too, and often will use color as a way for me to tinker with my look without doing too much damage, or sacrificing length. And during times of high Stress? OMG I often take it out on my hair, I admit. I'll cut and color my way through an emotional crisis, dunno why. Maybe on a deeper level, my hair becomes something I *can* control, compared to life in general.

Sometimes just a streak, or even just chalking my bangs/streak of hair regularly for a week or so, will help me change things up without committing to too much of a new look if an all over color change isn't appealing. Since you mention your hair is virgin, I'm guessing you don't want to bleach etc, so chalking can be fun.

Lastly? I think your hair would look great with layers, it has so much body that encouraging the natural wave you mentioned might be fun. There's always the wait-2-weeks guideline and cut it then, if you find you're certain! I had blunt hemline, then around top of BSL I cut layers in for movement in my hair, and am now dusting the ends from a V to a U. So I don't regret cutting layers (last year) and you may decide the change will do you good. No, changing our hair doesn't affect the problems we also carry... but it's fun!

Thank you.
No, bleaching isn't an option I think. It's way too damaging, unfortunately.
I look like my dear grandmother did and I have her pale skin so I was thinking very often about bleaching my hair like she did all her life because it looked great on her but her hair was damaged and dry... I don't want this.
I think the chalk is a good idea :) Our drugstore here has it.

Wusel
October 29th, 2016, 01:09 AM
You have been through a lot wusel. I can relate some what. My husband was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 months after we were married. While he was in the midst of his treatments my mom became ill and later was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. So while my husband was finishing up his chemo my mom died. I had made the decision to send my daughter across the country to live with her grandparents Becuase I was dealing with my mother and my husband being ill. She lived with them for almost 2 years from 5-7. She would come back home during the summer though, but this way during the school
Year she had a stable home to be in. This all happened in 2013. Fast forward a couple of years. We moved across the country to where my in laws live, but my husband was still dealing with a lot of his health issues. He gained lots of weight during his chemo and had to have a complete hip replacement at 37. A couple of months after he was recooperating From the surgery last fall my father died of a heart attack suddenly, while traveling, on my birthday. I understand what your feeling and it's been almost a year since my last parent passed away, my husbands health is better, but isn't 100% and i deal with this daily. It's hard being married to a 38 year old that has a body of a 75 year old. Especially since I'm pretty active myself. Sometimes when I'm feeling really down I want to just shave my head lol. I feel like maybe I obsess over my hair a little too much sometimes because it's something I can control in my life.

I really think some long layers would look good in your hair though to give it movement and some shape. It is beautiful and I'm sure it will go through a growth spurt eventually. Hang in there and count your blessings. My daughter is about the same age as your son and it's such a great fun age. Enjoy him :)

Omg... made me almost cry to read this... you are really through a lot...
I thank God every single day that I have my parents who live only 2 kilometers or so from my house... They help me a lot and are there for me when I feel down, it's a real blessing...
I wish you and your husband and daughter all the best. :flower:

Wusel
October 29th, 2016, 01:12 AM
Mild thread derail:
OP
It smells like "empty hole syndrome" to me. Stop beating yourself up. Right now.

Bad things happen. None of the things you mention are your fault. You asked for none of it. You mourn, and move on. Moving on, and enjoying the rest of your life does not minimize the pain of the loss, or diminish the memories of the time you had together. Your son's father would want you to be happy again, wouldn't he? Wouldn't you want that for him, if he survived your loss?

You have so many things to be thankful for, but your perspective is all jacked up.
1) You have a son. A healthy, strong son. You missed some things when he was wee. EVERYONE DOES. (If they tell you otherwise, they're big, fat liars.) You'll miss more things. Everyone does. Also, everyone screws up when parenting. Do the best you can. It will be just fine. Children are incredibly resiliant. You're gonna make mistakes with DS. It'll make him strong and smart. He's going to grow up to be a fine man. :)
2) You were able to leave DS with your mom. I so wish I could have done that. Living 300 miles from parents, means my children don't have close relationships with their grandparents. (Again, too bad, so sad. Life isn't perfect. DS21 and DD19 get along good with their grandparents and treasure the times they are able to share with them.)
2) You can work hard. You have been blessed with a strong body and sharp mind. You can use your gifts to bless others and make their lives better. You've managed to keep this job for how long? You're doing fantastic. *snaps for OP* (Everyone gets tired. Work hard anyway. It provides a good model for DS, and for your co-workers.) :)
3) You can feel pressure and stress. Your moral compass is working. You are aware of yourself and situations. You are perceptive. Yay!
4) You got rid of a nasty boyfriend. That is AWESOME! You're still young. Even if you were my age, I'd be thrilled that you kicked him to the curb, because you'd still have 20ish good years to enjoy yourself. There are worse things than being alone. WAY worse things. You've been there and done that. You can be enough for your son. You've seen other women do it, and you can do it too. (If a great guy falls in your lap, that's wonderful, but not necessary. You can do this yourself if you have to.) It's not easy, but you're young and strong and smart. You can totally do this. You've got this. All day long. For as long as it takes.

Go get 'em, Tiger.

---
Lucky!

Thank you very much. I feel so much stronger after reading your words. I really appreciate this.

Wusel
October 29th, 2016, 02:32 AM
I agree with the two week rule. I personally love layers and V cuts as it creates a lot of movement, volume, and body, but I know how frustrating it is to braid or bun hair with short layers. Maybe long layers would work? Kind of like this? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0e/2f/2a/0e2f2af4babe7349148888716430359a.jpg

Sorry if this is not at all your style or preference!! I hope you decide on something that makes you happy :flower:
I love it. I absolutely love it... But my hair isn't long enough unfortunately and stopped growing... I'm waiting for a growth spurt but it doesn't happen... But I want to have exactly this one day :)

browneyedsusan
October 29th, 2016, 08:24 AM
You're welcome.

You're to stop replaying those hurtful thoughts in your head. You've done it long enough. Probably way longer than you should have. It's time to heal up now. Get busy healing up. :)

Wusel
October 30th, 2016, 07:05 AM
You're welcome.

You're to stop replaying those hurtful thoughts in your head. You've done it long enough. Probably way longer than you should have. It's time to heal up now. Get busy healing up. :)

:flower: :flower: :flower:

So, after talking with my best friend I've decided to make an appointement at a salon. It's in the second week of November.
Mizukitty, thank you very much for the picture.:flower: :)
Does anyone of you have more pictures of layered haircuts to give me so that I can decide which one I like most and show the stylist when I'm there?

lapushka
October 30th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Does anyone of you have more pictures of layered haircuts to give me so that I can decide which one I like most and show the stylist when I'm there?

Maybe try Google. If you're going for a trendy cut, might as well. ;)

Wusel
October 30th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Maybe try Google. If you're going for a trendy cut, might as well. ;)
I'm googling like crazy :) But it's sooo much. When you type in layered haircut it's thousands of pictures...

mizukitty
October 30th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I'm glad you like it! And girl, your hair is not far off from that AT all. And I'm sure the haircut will look incredible on you, as your hair looks full, thick, and glorious to be honest :) :flower: I just went onto pinterest and typed in long hair. Most of the styles are layered, there's a lot of updo inspo and braid pics. I try not to spend TOO long on there, though. As I'll start to become upset that my hair isn't so thick, lol.

Rowdy
October 30th, 2016, 05:33 PM
It also might be helpful to take in a few pictures of layers you don't like as well.

Flipgirl24
October 30th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Maybe a fringe? Maybe some layers to give it some shape and reduce the heaviness. Highlights would be cool too.

calmyogi
October 31st, 2016, 07:44 AM
It also might be helpful to take in a few pictures of layers you don't like as well.

I second this! It really helps to give them a vision of what you don't like. It's Probably more helpful than anything. Then they will know how NOT to make your hair look.

Et: Which is more important in my opinion lol.

Jadestorm
October 31st, 2016, 08:19 AM
I like your hair, but to have a quick, bigger change where you don't lose length I'd say maybe color it? Nowadays there are plenty of natural dyes that don't damage your hair (if that's the reason why you haven dyed before).

Layers are a big difference, you just need to take into consideration how they'll look on your hair if you wear braids or buns (will the hairs stick out?). Perhaps changing the shape of the cut, as you mentioned, cutting it into a deep U-shape or V-shape switches things up a bit too.

Wusel
November 1st, 2016, 12:09 PM
Thank you all!!! I really appreciate every answer :)

What do you think about this:
I like it... It's a REAL V-hemline... quite extreme but...SOO cute...
That's exactly what I was thinking about... But I need more length, I think... or do a MBL version of this... What do you think?

http://www.lovely-hairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/10.Layered-Haircut-Back-View.jpg

kittengirl
November 1st, 2016, 02:12 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking about... But I need more length, I think... or do a MBL version of this... What do you think?

http://www.lovely-hairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/10.Layered-Haircut-Back-View.jpg

That is a really cute style, and I think you could do it with MBL if you really wanted to. Just keep in mind if you do wear your hair up a lot that all of those drastic layers will be hard to contain in updos and braids and will be popping out a lot. That is always my problem with cute layered cuts!

lapushka
November 1st, 2016, 03:25 PM

That is about 4-6 inches longer than your hair is, so if that's what you want, the shortest layers are going to be really short, so tell the hairdresser to where you want your shortest layer, but then your V might not be so extreme. If I were you, I'd look for waist length examples. :flower:

EliseMarie
November 1st, 2016, 05:50 PM

Very pretty. Keep in mind though, that in order to get it to look like the picture, I believe you would have to style it using product and heat. I honestly think that it would look different with your natural texture and air drying. So, if you are not opposed to that, then absolutely go for it. And you may like it just fine wash and wear, just be aware that usually there is some maintenance involved when you want your hair to look like a reference picture.

All in all, your hair is beautiful and you have a lot of options.

spidermom
November 1st, 2016, 10:04 PM
I agree with "look for waist length styles". You will have a better idea of what your hair will look like in such styles.

Wusel
November 2nd, 2016, 12:40 AM
That is about 4-6 inches longer than your hair is, so if that's what you want, the shortest layers are going to be really short, so tell the hairdresser to where you want your shortest layer, but then your V might not be so extreme. If I were you, I'd look for waist length examples. :flower:

Thank you :) I think I'd like my layers to start around APL or so. Like the picture but a shorter V. That's doable on my length I think.

Wusel
November 2nd, 2016, 12:46 AM
Very pretty. Keep in mind though, that in order to get it to look like the picture, I believe you would have to style it using product and heat. I honestly think that it would look different with your natural texture and air drying. So, if you are not opposed to that, then absolutely go for it. And you may like it just fine wash and wear, just be aware that usually there is some maintenance involved when you want your hair to look like a reference picture.

All in all, your hair is beautiful and you have a lot of options.
Thank you :)
I don't have time to style unfortunately, single mother and full time working doesn't leave room for this, but I think this will look good when unstyled too. And it'll give me less flatness on the scalp. Because what bothers me the most is that I have to manipulate my roots all the time to make my hair not lay flat on my head and to have some volume on the roots. It's quite heavy and I'd like to take some haviness from it without making it shorter.

Wusel
November 2nd, 2016, 12:48 AM
That is a really cute style, and I think you could do it with MBL if you really wanted to. Just keep in mind if you do wear your hair up a lot that all of those drastic layers will be hard to contain in updos and braids and will be popping out a lot. That is always my problem with cute layered cuts!

I wear my hair up or braided almost all the time but with this style I think I can do a high ponytail. Which is impossible now because my hair is too heavy and I get headaches from a ponytail. When I take some weight from it I can wear a layered ponytail. Layered ponytails are so cute... :)

ReadingRenee
November 2nd, 2016, 09:08 AM
From reading everything you have written, it sounds like you really want a change and you are leaning toward a v hemline and layers. I think your hair is so gorgeous the way it is, but I completely understand wanting a change. It sounds like you should just do it because hair grows back and if you don't like it, then you can start growing it out sooner rather than later. :)

What works well for me is the 2 week rule. I give myself 2 weeks and if there is a single moment in that 2 weeks where I am grateful that I didn't cut my hair yet or make the change then I start the clock over on the 2 weeks. I started doing this after lots of hair regrets.

Anyway, good luck! I feel like no matter what you do, your hair will look amazing. Also it seems really thick and like the perfect hair type for the layers you are talking about.

Also, I had that same flat roots issue before I cut my layers and it eliminated it. I love my layers and my hair is only just about BSL.

Wusel
November 2nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
From reading everything you have written, it sounds like you really want a change and you are leaning toward a v hemline and layers. I think your hair is so gorgeous the way it is, but I completely understand wanting a change. It sounds like you should just do it because hair grows back and if you don't like it, then you can start growing it out sooner rather than later. :)

What works well for me is the 2 week rule. I give myself 2 weeks and if there is a single moment in that 2 weeks where I am grateful that I didn't cut my hair yet or make the change then I start the clock over on the 2 weeks. I started doing this after lots of hair regrets.

Anyway, good luck! I feel like no matter what you do, your hair will look amazing. Also it seems really thick and like the perfect hair type for the layers you are talking about.

Also, I had that same flat roots issue before I cut my layers and it eliminated it. I love my layers and my hair is only just about BSL.

Yes, I've decided to wait 2 weeks before I make the decision. And read what you all recommend me before. :)
You have wonderful layers. And a wondeful color and texture too :)

ReadingRenee
November 2nd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Good luck with your decision and your 2 week wait. If you do decide to make a change, please post pictures if you can. ( or another video, whatever works. :) )
And thank you very much for the hair compliments, I really appreciate them. :flower:

Chromis
November 2nd, 2016, 02:34 PM
I would get some more growth in before making the sort of changes you are thinking of really. Those layers will not look the same in shorter hair and will be choppy and hard to put up. Yes, you would be able to do a ponytail, but you might not be able to do buns anymore and ponytails were sooooo damaging for me. This is fine if you don't want to grow very long since not everyone does, but will give you a lot of trouble in the future if you do. I had to much damage at the spot I tied the pony at, even with gentle, smooth ties and the ends got trashed. Also, the more complicated the change you want and the less detail you give them about what you are hoping for, the more chance for them to screw up. I mean, more complex is already harder and if your thoughts are vague, there is an additional mind-reading problem. Many of the bad hair dresser stories here start off this way.

I would second/third/something the idea to do a deposit only dye or if you want a very daring change, go for henna, mwahahahaha! Henna is for sure a giant change :lol:

From past threads, you have some very negative influences in your life. Is this something you wish to do for you, or are certain people being hyper-critical of you again and making you doubt your appearance? (I mean this in a concerned sister sort of way, not harshly!)

spidermom
November 2nd, 2016, 02:38 PM
Just for a different perspective and not because I disagree on principle, the 2-week rule didn't help me at all. I could change my mind 20 times in a single day. I didn't cut my hair back as much as I wanted to for a good 3-4 years, trying to satisfy myself with smaller cuts. Last month I finally had the haircut I'd been contemplating (you know my story), and I'm so relieved! No regrets.

XiaoBaiTu
November 2nd, 2016, 04:22 PM
If you are interested, I found these slideshows/articles that have a lot of different types of layered cuts:

Layers and Bangs (http://therighthairstyles.com/long-layered-haircut-with-bangs/5/)

Longer hair in general with layers (http://therighthairstyles.com/15-most-fantastic-trendy-layered-hairstyles-for-long-hai/4/)

You seem like you're pretty ready for layers and all that goes with them, so have fun looking through some styles! Best of luck with the change, whatever you decide.

gracespaghetti
November 3rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
I love your length and color. You definitely have enough hair to pull off long layers but it also has a lot of body so depending on how you style it may have too much? Haha, if that's possible, it all depends on what you want. Maybe you could start out with some nice face framing layers first and see if that gives you an idea what more layers/a v would look like or might be just enough to unbore you for the time being :o good luck!

XiaoBaiTu
November 4th, 2016, 05:26 PM
This is also pretty similar to the style you posted, but maybe closer to your current length?

http://therighthairstyles.com/15-most-fantastic-trendy-layered-hairstyles-for-long-hai/13/