PDA

View Full Version : How to S&D? Or dust?

_janne91_
October 26th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Hi

If it's ready available could someone link me?

Was looking to see how people go about their search and destroy.

My hair ia so thick and layered wanted to see if anyone has a good method to get it all done well?

Much appreciated! :) :)

Decoy24601
October 26th, 2016, 11:42 PM
It seems like you might be mistaken about what S&D is? There isn't really a trick method to doing a lot of hair fast. S&D is where you hold up individual strands to light to find splits and snip the individual splits. It takes multiple sessions over quite a long period of time to get 100% of splits in anyone's hair.

"Dusting" hair refers to taking a small amount of hair off the entire length, aka microtrimming.

Shiranshoku
October 27th, 2016, 04:35 AM
I don't think S&D and quick can really be combined, to be honest :-)
Some general tips:
- use good scissors
- do it in daylight
- find a contrasting background, ie a dark one if your hair is on the lighter side, a bright one if your hair is on the darker side
- the smaller your sections, the easier the splits will show up. But it does take longer that way.
- stop when you go cross-eyed. It's not a competition.

Hope that helps!

_janne91_
October 27th, 2016, 03:46 PM
It seems like you might be mistaken about what S&D is? There isn't really a trick method to doing a lot of hair fast. S&D is where you hold up individual strands to light to find splits and snip the individual splits. It takes multiple sessions over quite a long period of time to get 100% of splits in anyone's hair.

"Dusting" hair refers to taking a small amount of hair off the entire length, aka microtrimming.

I didnt ask for how to do it fast :) just to do it well.
Like I said I have really thick and layered hair and wasn't sure how to tackle it. Like divide and do bottom layers to top or go around the head. Just any tips so I can do it thoroughly. But multiple session like you said sounds exactly what Im going to have to do! :)

Definitely got dusting wrong I thought it was completely different

_janne91_
October 27th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I don't think S&D and quick can really be combined, to be honest :-)
Some general tips:
- use good scissors
- do it in daylight
- find a contrasting background, ie a dark one if your hair is on the lighter side, a bright one if your hair is on the darker side
- the smaller your sections, the easier the splits will show up. But it does take longer that way.
- stop when you go cross-eyed. It's not a competition.

Hope that helps!

I didnt ask for quick :) just to do it well!

Thank you for your tips though! Definitely wont try in my bathroom then its white as can be and my hair is pink blonde!

Decoy24601
October 27th, 2016, 04:59 PM
My hair is extremely thick and also layered and I just grab random sections and see what splits I can find. Some days I spend only a few minutes, some days a full 30 min or so session. It works for me :).

littlestarface
October 27th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Thick or thin hair doesn't matter when it comes to S&D you just grab sections of hair and look through all the strands in front of a window when its sunny. It'll take a long time sometimes hours for me but I get on a roll and cant stop. Theres really no tips or tricks you just pick up some hair and look through and cut it off a little above the break or dot.

Dusting is good to get the few hairs that grow longer than the rest you literally are dusting off the ends of the length with scissors.

Rowdy
October 27th, 2016, 05:50 PM
I like to divide my hair in four sections and then do one section a day. I do it this way because I tend to reach for certain sections more than others and I don't want to overdo one part of my hair and thin it out more than the others.

trolleypup
October 27th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Thick or thin hair doesn't matter when it comes to S&D you just grab sections of hair and look through all the strands in front of a window when its sunny. It'll take a long time sometimes hours for me but I get on a roll and cant stop. Theres really no tips or tricks you just pick up some hair and look through and cut it off a little above the break or dot.
Best possible scissors, because dull scissors will just make the problem worse.

I'm also in the random hank of hair camp. For me, super bright side light against a velvety black background works.

I recommend stopping S&D before you fall out of the chair.

littlestarface
October 27th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Best possible scissors, because dull scissors will just make the problem worse.

I'm also in the random hank of hair camp. For me, super bright side light against a velvety black background works.

I recommend stopping S&D before you fall out of the chair.

Or when you start to go crosseyed.

Garnetgem
October 27th, 2016, 07:01 PM
I tend to S&D next to a lamp its so much better than daylight it makes it so much easier to do...you can really see them so well so none are missed out that way...it can be time consuming as once you start it gets quite addictive well for me it does anyway..

trolleypup
October 27th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Or when you start to go crosseyed.
Close one eye! ... But, yes, right around that point!

pamrlyn
October 27th, 2016, 07:45 PM
another dusting method that you might have heard of - at the George Michael method salons, they do a thing they call dusting. Small strands are twisted and the ends that stick out of the twist are snipped off. The floor looks like it has a layer of dust when they are done. Some people love to have it done. My sister had a dusting at Rapunzels in Columbus, Ohio. she was very happy with it. her hair was moderately damaged from heat styling & color. This really is not something that you could do to yourself. but a very patient friend could do it for you.
http://rapunzelsthelonghairsalon.com/services.html
$48!
I personally don't think it would be of much benefit, unless you have a lot of damage all over.

Decoy24601
October 27th, 2016, 07:58 PM
another dusting method that you might have heard of - at the George Michael method salons, they do a thing they call dusting. Small strands are twisted and the ends that stick out of the twist are snipped off. The floor looks like it has a layer of dust when they are done. Some people love to have it done. My sister had a dusting at Rapunzels in Columbus, Ohio. she was very happy with it. her hair was moderately damaged from heat styling & color. This really is not something that you could do to yourself. but a very patient friend could do it for you.
$48!
I personally don't think it would be of much benefit, unless you have a lot of damage all over.

The problem with that is because you're just snipping ends off assuming they're splits, a lot of hair that is actually just naturally shorter and newer growth gets trimmed too.

pamrlyn
October 27th, 2016, 08:15 PM
The problem with that is because you're just snipping ends off assuming they're splits, a lot of hair that is actually just naturally shorter and newer growth gets trimmed too.

Very good point Decoy! Thank you for making that clear :)

Decoy24601
October 27th, 2016, 09:57 PM

No problem :). Also, if someone does have very damaged hair then it could definitely also be the case that many of those strands are splits too, but I guess my point is that without looking you can't be certain :).

_janne91_
October 28th, 2016, 01:59 AM
Im having a go of it now just keeping the sections I'm done with in a pony so Im not going over them again.
I knew it would take awhile but it feels like foreverrrrrr. Fair bit of damage :/

Thanks everyone for your replies!

lapushka
October 28th, 2016, 03:53 AM

Yeah, at that point you're your own "split-ender". ;)

Shiranshoku
October 28th, 2016, 06:42 AM
$48!

I guess that's a good way to do it quickly, but it'll give you lots of 'collateral damage'.

I'm wondering, though... Would 'trimming' your hair in that way instead of with a regular blunt cut encourage fairytale ends?

Anje
October 28th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I consider S&D to be more of an ongoing process than something I engage in occasionally to rid myself of all splits. If I notice a few and have a moment, I snip them and any others I see. It's good for dull moments at home and somewhat contemplative. (Best place for it is in the car during daytime, for me, but it's not usually conducive to actually S&Ding unless you're a passenger on a road trip.)

I think braids that have been hanging around for a while and have gotten fuzzy are a good shortcut for S&D. It won't give you everything, but a braid with hair ends sticking out everywhere gives you a good view of ends while locking up the bulk of the hair.

Hairkay
October 28th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I do s & d gradually. I have my hair in some plaits/braids. All I have to do is look at the ends of a plait, pick out strands to check then snip if necessary. It would be impossible to do s & d without my hair neatly sectioned off and plaited with my thick kinky curly hair.