PDA

View Full Version : To fringe or nah?

_janne91_
October 26th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Hey so cutting is the opposite way I want to go in general but Ive been toying with rhe idea cutting a small fringe, nothing thick and heavy just something small to gove me to play with and sweep to the side as it grows just to keep my mind off the majority of my hair so I dont touch it.

Ive had them in the past and sometimes love it sometimes regret it.
I want to think about it seriously before i commit.

Any thoughts or comments especially in regards to growing in general? Has anyone done it then regretted losing some length or is it a good distraction?

I have layers from my ears to past my shoulders so I already have a choppy body of hair to grow out and even up down the track.

Any advice opinions and past experiences welcome!

Kamille
October 27th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Unless you want all of your hair to be the same length, I say go for it (except if the times you regret it were a lot). When it grows out, it can become face framing pieces, and after that, not very noticable.

lapushka
October 27th, 2016, 04:47 AM
Ive had them in the past and sometimes love it sometimes regret it.
I want to think about it seriously before i commit.

If you have hair that gets oily fast, remember you might have to wash them separately in between washes - not so fun!

Besides that, it's up to you. It's about what you want in the end. :)

OhSuzi
October 27th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Do you have cow licks or kiss curls? I have these and they are pain in the bum in the fringe area. You cut a fringe & they jump up way more than the rest of the hair, so you have to chop the rest of the fringe shorter to even it out. Even then I have to hair dry & style it every morning or accept that my fringe has a big wonky gap in. If you have cowlicks I'd say don't bother unless you're going for a real thick and heavy fringe that weighs em down.
If not, s'up to you, whatever tickles your fancy. You can buy clip on blunt bangs and side bangs off ebay etc Useful 1. If you want a non committal fringe and can back to long hair at any time 2 if you want to see how it might look before you actually do it. In then end - its just hair and hair grows.

Shiranshoku
October 27th, 2016, 05:10 AM
If you have hair that gets oily fast, remember you might have to wash them separately in between washes - not so fun!
*snip*

This, in spades. I always forget this, and I hate it! I usually only have a week of enthusiasm about bangs, afterwards I get frustrated.
So I'd advise against it, but of course, it's your choice! You're the Tony Blair of your hair.

Flipgirl24
October 27th, 2016, 06:07 AM
I say go for it. You can always spritz them with dry shampoo. Have them angles so they can be sides wept or put back. I get my hairdresser to cut my bangs so I can either sweep them to the side or leave them as a full fringe.

LaísB
October 27th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I think that a fringe is a good way to change your hairstyle without changing the lenght. I love them and I think they look very cute, especially those see-trough ones because they are easyto style when growing out. :)

Anje
October 27th, 2016, 07:40 AM
When I last had bangs, I found I couldn't moisturize my forehead without them looking greasy. My skin was soooo dry, and I still had to wash the things frequently.

poli
October 27th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Getting a fringe helped me a lot while growing out layers. Mostly during the weird stage between shoulder and APL. So if you like yourself with bangs, go for it.

Vallena
October 27th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Not for me, at least. I have a cowlick there and they get oily very quickly. I like the way they look on other people though.

Unzadi
October 27th, 2016, 09:07 AM
If you think you'd like it, go for it. Change can be fun. Bangs can take some extra effort, true, so employ the two week rule. If, after two weeks, you still want to proceed, full steam ahead.

Chromis
October 27th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I am anti-fringe. I mean, they can look nice sure, but not for me! My hair parts funny, they get greasy, they get in my eyes/glasses, and need constant trimming. I vote, nope!

vampyyri
October 27th, 2016, 10:27 AM

Besides that, it's up to you. It's about what you want in the end. :)

Trust me on this one. I've had bangs my whole life, and those suckers get nasty real quick if you have an oily scalp or oily skin!!

Deborah
October 27th, 2016, 10:32 AM
It's up to you of course, but I vote no, as I think most people look better without them. I like to see people's faces, and bangs just get in the way.

Anje
October 27th, 2016, 11:27 AM
It's up to you of course, but I vote no, as I think most people look better without them. I like to see people's faces, and bangs just get in the way.

I tend to agree. I'm personally biased against the things anyway (they're such a pain when I've had them), but I also think they make faces look short and wide.

vampyyri
October 27th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I tend to agree. I'm personally biased against the things anyway (they're such a pain when I've had them), but I also think they make faces look short and wide.

I have mine just to hide a good portion of my forehead :lol: I don't mind the face shortening :p

Robot Ninja
October 27th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Think back to the last time you had bangs. Remember all the things that made you grow them out in the first place. Remember what a pain it was to grow them out. Ask yourself why you want bangs; do you actually want bangs or are you just bored with your hair and wanting a change. Wait two weeks. Then if you still want them, go for it.

I did all these things and ended up getting bangs again because I just wasn't liking the scraped-back look I was getting with my hair up, and how it made my forehead look huge, but YMMV. They do require more maintenance since I have to trim them regularly, although I don't get the greasy bangs problem some people do....which is kind of weird since I have oily skin, but I'm not complaining.

Lizzie.torp
October 27th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I recently cut some bangs and I don't regret it at all. I just don't like my hairline because it's assymetrical and I have a widow's peak. They're a little thick but I'm just going to grow out the sides and it'll look great. The only frustrating part is that they're oily so fast and I have to go buy a blow dryer and a round brush. I think it'll be great after that and I'll always have great hair. But really, it can be such an individual decision.

Kajzh
October 27th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I have mine just to hide a good portion of my forehead :lol: I don't mind the face shortening :p

Same! I've always preferred bangs. When I would get cornrows as a kid, I would prefer that my bangs were left out to cover my forehead.

My bangs are great. 10/10. Never regretted them.

_janne91_
October 27th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Oooh Im still divided lol!!

Might do the 2 week rule!

The weather here is going into a very humid season which doesnt go well with my hair. But thats what im hating right now scraping my hair back to contain and protect it from the weather but hating my hairline and forehead so much and being bored.

But I can see myself getting annoyed with it after a few weeks of needing to give it extra attention.

Everyone's roelies have really made me think of some valid points for and against!

Will have to stick out 2 weeks and see how that changes things!

Entangled
October 27th, 2016, 04:24 PM
You can always try to find some clip ins. I had bangs for a while (four ish years) and am growing them out now. I don't regret it. I actually found I could stretch washes with them, because I could have clean fluffy bangs to hide the bulk of my dirty hair.

Chromis
October 27th, 2016, 08:54 PM
So I see a lot of people talk about scraping their hair back around here on LHC lately. This is how I wear mine too, only I have never thought of it that way. If you are saying you are scraping your hair back, then of course that sounds very severe and unflattering! Think of it just as combing it back. There, that sounds nicer already :D

You can also try doing lace braids along the hairline or just pullign out a couple of wispies or even changing your part for variety.

Anje
October 27th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Doesn't matter if I scrape my hair back or not. There are curly little baby hairs sproinging out of it every whichway within an hour no matter what.

Ginger Power
October 28th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I wanted to get a fringe too and I did but now I'm growing it out because with my hairtype it's just unmanageable ! :dizzy:

spidermom
October 28th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I loved mine. When I got tired of the look, I grew them out. No biggie.

pastina
October 28th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I loved mine. When I got tired of the look, I grew them out. No biggie.

Yeah, this is me, too. I've cut a full, blunt fringe several times in the past few years and never really had any issue growing it out when I got bored of them. As they get longer, I trim them on an angle to make them into side-bangs.

I've got them again, now, and for me, they're not any extra work. And they look super cute with a headband!