PDA

View Full Version : Banners/Awards for length reached??

LynnaMaroo
October 26th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I'm curious, I haven't noticed an Award/Banners for lengths reached or milestones, am I missing it?

Example:
(Length Reached/Milestonea - Award title)
Pixie Length - Sparkle hair
Chin Length- Rainbow hair
Shoulders Length- Brozen Glitter hair
Arm pit ""- Silver Sparkle hair
Bra strap- Gold flecks hair

And so on.

(This is a huge thing in the breastfeeding community, each additional month you reach you get a new banner/award, like "gold boobs" for breastfeeding for one full year, haha.)

I'm surprised I don't see something like that here.

gypsycolleen
October 26th, 2016, 06:48 PM
That sounds like a fun idea!

HeartofHaleth
October 26th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Not all of our members want (or have the ability) to grow to ridiculous lengths. Some just want healthier hair, or a thicker hemline at the length they're at. Long hair isn't objectively better than short hair, and it's already too easy to slip into that way of thinking when surrounded by some of the incredible manes on this forum. At first glance it sounds like a fun idea, but when some of us have the tendency to feel inadequate or insecure when we compare our hair to that of others, turning it into a competition seems like it would have a lot of potential to be hurtful. I'm sure that's not your intent, I just felt like I should add my perspective on it. Welcome to the forum!

LynnaMaroo
October 26th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Yea I could see how some might turn this into a competition.

Some may be only here for hair help/health, they probably don't take part in the measuring threads?? But that's fine.

I also didn't suggest adding the option into profiles or anything. It's basically a way to feel proud of individual accomplishments. Just like saying, "yes my hair is now 55... thousand inches long!"
My hair will probably never makes it past BSL, if that. I'm ok with that. Yes, I am envious of the people here who already have hair down to their ankles or have a pony of 6", But I'm not about to tell them they can't be proud of their hair.

In the BF community, they have a photo of the breakdown on the milestones and awards. That's it. Keep it simple.

I guess it is all about perspective .

Kajzh
October 26th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Not all of our members want (or have the ability) to grow to ridiculous lengths. Some just want healthier hair, or a thicker hemline at the length they're at. Long hair isn't objectively better than short hair, and it's already too easy to slip into that way of thinking when surrounded by some of the incredible manes on this forum. At first glance it sounds like a fun idea, but when some of us have the tendency to feel inadequate or insecure when we compare our hair to that of others, turning it into a competition seems like it would have a lot of potential to be hurtful. I'm sure that's not your intent, I just felt like I should add my perspective on it. Welcome to the forum!

Perfectly articulated!

Larki
October 26th, 2016, 07:30 PM
I just buy myself new products/accessories when I hit a milestone. :) I think if we tried this, it might turn nasty and competitive since not everyone is heading for length, as already mentioned. Unless maybe we could keep it sort of private (as in not broadcasted in signature/avatar) and kept it in the users' profiles, so you'd have to click through to their profile to see?

HeartofHaleth
October 26th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I also didn't suggest adding the option into profiles or anything. It's basically a way to feel proud of individual accomplishments. Just like saying, "yes my hair is now 55... thousand inches long!"
My hair will probably never makes it past BSL, if that. I'm ok with that. Yes, I am envious of the people here who already have hair down to their ankles or have a pony of 6", But I'm not about to tell them they can't be proud of their hair.

I must have misunderstood. I thought that by "banner" you meant signature picture. Of course the super longhairs can be proud of their hair, just like all of us can be proud of our hair! I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, I promise! ;)

LynnaMaroo
October 26th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Ah yea, banners as in little photos with the award/milestone on them, for people to save if they want to. Not anything added into profiles, nothing public. Yes not forum profile banners. That's just the way I heard them refer to as.

Entangled
October 26th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm with HeartofHaleth on this one. Longer is not necessarily better, and a lot of people have different goals, such as eliminating dye damage or thickening a hemline that would decrease length. Additionally, since hair growth is genetic, it can unfairly perpetuate the negative mentality that (sometimes) can be present. (Sometimes, and not done maliciously. I'm thinking of the long hair= better? Thread) and could be a source of frustration for people with shorter terminal lengths.

A solution would be perhaps have different kinds of banners, like x weeks since cut, or x week since (negative behavior person wants to get rid of). However, there are so many different aspects of growing hair that I think such a system would be more cumbersome to use. Thus, I think it's better that any banners are personalized (you see a bunch already in siggy pics). There are also challenge threads that you can choose to participate in.

school of fish
October 26th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Welcome aboard! :D

I have to agree that while the intention is nice and coming from a positive place, my opinion is that I can't get on board with any kind of 'awards' system for reaching milestones.

In the various existing length threads peoples' awards are the achievement of a personal milestone in and of itself, and the encouragement and congratulations of others in the thread along the way. I like the sense of community that this system builds, and I like that it seems to foster support rather than competition :)

I don't want to derail the thread but I'll include a personal note in the interest of full disclosure: I wasn't able to breastfeed either of my children as long as I would have liked - my body simply wouldn't produce enough milk to feed them longer than a couple months. It was hard enough to try not to feel like I'd failed at something that is 'supposed' to come naturally to women, but if I'd been participating in a breastfeeding forum that offered an award for each month of successful feeding I might have felt the need to leave said forum to avoid additional hurt, through no fault of any of the members...

I guess that's why I feel this way ;)

Chromis
October 26th, 2016, 09:30 PM
There is nothing keeping you from putting such a thing in your signature, although I personally am pretty happy that this is not a common custom here.

Kimberly
October 28th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I suppose anyone could make these banners and hand them out. In fact, we could develop a smartphone app where you use the camera to check for growth, then it automatically tracks the growth on various charts and graphs, with Game Center support so you can not only display badges for milestones within the app, but also can top the international leader board!

But I think I'd rather kick back with my tea and read funny stories about hair. :-)

GoddesJourney
October 28th, 2016, 01:42 PM
There is nothing keeping you from putting such a thing in your signature, although I personally am pretty happy that this is not a common custom here.

I was thinking this. ^^

LynnaMaroo-

LHC is sort of a long term residency that comes from the nature of growing hair (as in it takes years).

Some people come, look around, get the information they were looking for, and we don't hear from them again. Some people come and stay forever. Some people come and go depending on whatever else is going on in their lives. And since each person has an individual hair plan/goal, it wouldn't necessarily make sense to hold what looks like a universal rank/status symbol for certain achievements. For example, not everyone is swearing off silicones, growing to knee, or trying henna. People just pick what they want and do that.

Sometimes people will start a thread saying things like "APL to Waist", so that people with that goal can talk about things that are/are not working for them at that length.

Sometimes, people add things to their signature that say what their hair goal is (at the moment) and what stage they're in toward it. This is helpful just to know, along with hair type and circumference, for when they ask questions in the general forum. People who know about that hair type or length can offer suggestions.

Sometimes people will post for their "hair-iversary" showing us pictures of how they've progressed over the years of being here. We all love pictures and we all love progress, and we all get to know each other a little over time, so it's nice to see each other reach toward their goals. Once they do reach their goals, they often tell us what they want to do next.

Sometimes people cut off their hair for one reason or another, either to grow it back or to keep it short for awhile and they just stick around because they've come to appreciate the friendly social culture we all work to keep here.

All that said, I totally understand your curiosity as to why you don't see certain things that may be quite common on other forums. I guess the answer to that is simply that, although at first glance that may seem to make total sense, it actually is somewhat irrelevant to the nature of what we do here and somewhat pointless when everyone is here for their own reason.

I hope you don't feel too "jumped on" about what was obviously an innocent question. It wasn't meant that way if that's how it comes off.

truepeacenik
October 28th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Applause for GoddessJourney's post.

Once upon a time, we had a title for people who made their 1000th post. Guru.
I'm inclined to EdG's title of blabberfingers, myself.

Hair growth is a very different journey than nursing a child. I breastfed for three years. I've been growing my hair much longer.
It's also doable by all genders.

GoddesJourney
October 28th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Applause for GoddessJourney's post.

Once upon a time, we had a title for people who made their 1000th post. Guru.
I'm inclined to EdG's title of blabberfingers, myself.

Hair growth is a very different journey than nursing a child. I breastfed for three years. I've been growing my hair much longer.
It's also doable by all genders.

Why, thank you. Can you tell I'm a blabberfingers, myself? ;)