PDA

View Full Version : Fiance VS Hairdresser?

country_girl384
October 26th, 2016, 02:58 PM
So I may cut my hair in the next few months just so it is a little more even on the end. I have no intentions of cutting it at an angle or doing layers. I'm a bit scared to go back to a hairdresser to receive a trim since they take off a bit more than a "trim." I may buy good scissors and let my fiance do it. Is it bad that I trust him more than a stylist? lol. Anyways, do you think it would harm my hair if I just let him do it with quality scissors than paying to get it done? I just want a straight line, nothing fancy.

lithostoic
October 26th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Nah, I cut my hair myself as do many of us. Sharp scissors is all you need.

Wavelength
October 26th, 2016, 03:10 PM
If you do this, just make sure you buy scissors that are specifically made to cut hair. If you use other scissors -- regardless of the quality -- they will probably cause damage, as hair is very delicate as opposed to, say, paper.

Other than that, if you feel you'd trust your fiancé more than a stylist, I say go for it! But it's pretty easy to learn to do a blunt cut on your own hair as well.

nekosan
October 26th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I trust myself more than a hairstylist. For just simple trims, i see no reason not to do it yourself (or with help of a trusted friend).

It's been a long time, but i seem to remember that "2 inches" to a hairdresser meant more like 6 inches - i think due to them making 5-6 passes of the hair doing "just an inch or two" each time. "But look, none of the bits on the floor are longer than 2 inches!" Yeah, but how else did my hair go from below hip to barely waist?

LaísB
October 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM
If the scissors are really good ones, made to cut hair, and your fiance is able to cut it with no problems than why spend on a hairdresser you don't trust? I say get it done at home. No one should cut their hair with someone they don't trust.

Entangled
October 26th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Go for it! Getting hair cutting scissors and learning how to trim your own hair or teaching your fiancé is completely doable and will save you money in the long run. Since you're going for a simple blunt cut without layers or a special hemline, this should be simple.

I started trimming my own hair around waist length and I've never turned back. It's so much less stressful than going to a stylist and making sure they comb gently, wash gently, don't cut too much, and don't blow dry my hair.

CarrotTop
October 26th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I know there are tons of great hairstylists out there who would do exactly what I asked, but I've always just had my mom cut my hair. I'm way too cheap to pay $10 or more to get an inch cut off in a straight line.

Anje
October 26th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I normally do my own, but I've had my husband do it, and he's done a great job. Simple cuts are really easy.

mizukitty
October 26th, 2016, 04:34 PM
My boyfriend trims and maintains my hair all the time, even though I have layers and a U/V cut. We just watched a few videos together of how to utilize angles to hold the hair up taught, and cutting up into the hair to create the texture I want. I know he'll never cut off more than I ask, and he's quite handy, so he does a great job :P As long as you have the right scissors, and you're happy with the results, there's nothing wrong with it :)

spidermom
October 26th, 2016, 08:09 PM
YMMV. Some people can't draw a straight line, much less cut one.

littlestarface
October 26th, 2016, 08:10 PM

And that is me all the waaaaaaaaaaay.

Groovy Granny
October 26th, 2016, 09:05 PM

That's why I use a creaclip...it even has a level :lol:

Rhoward
October 27th, 2016, 05:17 AM
That's why I use a creaclip...it even has a level :lol:

Agreed, my hubby cuts my hair with a Creaclip, he loves it and does a great job.

OhSuzi
October 27th, 2016, 05:20 AM
Just go easy on him if he doesn't do a perfect job - a lot of pressure to cut someone elses hair!
!

lapushka
October 27th, 2016, 05:45 AM

That's why letting someone else do Feye's method is awesome! You have to stick to something, so it will hopefully "guide":
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Chromis
October 27th, 2016, 10:27 AM

That includes all of the hair stylists I have even been to. :laugh:

Another do-it-yourself vote. Just get a decent pair of hair sheers and it is super easy for a simple trim and you can snip out split ends in between trims too then.