PDA

View Full Version : Confused-Myth or Truth?

country_girl384
October 26th, 2016, 09:55 AM
So I cut my hair at the beginning of January 2016 and was planning on doing it the same time on January 2017. I haven't seen much damage(if it all) over this year. I haven't used heat very much (maybe once a month for a few minutes) and have continued to use hair supplements and oils. My question is: Is it good to cut your hair once a year even if you don't notice breakage? How long is it before you cut your hair?

Anje
October 26th, 2016, 10:02 AM
No particular reason you need to cut your hair, if it's not damaged and you're happy with the hemline. I trim irregularly, but probably on average something like every 6 months, because my ends get thinner than I like (and I'm not sure how much longer I want it to grow, at least till my bangs catch up). But I don't get much damage that I can't control with occasional S&D, so I could potentially go for years without trimming.

OhSuzi
October 26th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I'd say if there's no damage and it's in good condition and you don't fancy a cut don't cut it.
If it starts to get dry or split ends / white dots or you just fancy a sharper edge to your hair or a change in style get it trimmed or chopped.

Annalouise
October 26th, 2016, 10:05 AM
I've often heard it repeated that you MUST trim your hair to make it grow faster. I have no idea how this rumor got started. It is nonsensical.
Trimming is for removing damage, or shortening your length. It all depends on how fast you want your hair to grow because cutting the hair is the opposite of growing it.:D

country_girl384
October 26th, 2016, 10:07 AM
I does get dry at times but I'm thinking its because it is so cold out right now (40*) and the weather is taking a small toll. After I put a tad of oil products in it its fine. I doubt if its splitting or anything. I can never tell.

alimc
October 26th, 2016, 01:13 PM
A hairdresser will INSIST you must have your hair cut at least every 6-8 weeks. That's generally because that's what they're trained to think (and the cynic in me says that's how they make money)! However the truth is you CAN go years between haircuts as long as your hair is in good condition.
Over here (in the U.K.) I don't think I've seen many people with hair longer that APL frequent a hairdresser.... I think there may be a direct correlation... :eyebrows:
I once got a telling off from a hairdresser for leaving it a year between cuts. Bothered? Nope.
It's now been 10 and a half months since my last haircut. I've no intention of cutting for the foreseeable. I say Myth!

DweamGoiL
October 26th, 2016, 01:30 PM
I think this is a very individual decision and yes, it depends on if you have damage that needs to be trimmed off or not or want a specific shape that can only be achieved through regular cuts. Hair will not grow faster if you cut it. That is a big time myth and in part it is the bread and butter of hair stylists. They get you in for a trim and you come out with a trim, blowout, and some kind of chemical treatment. I once overheard a stylist in chatting with a coworker say that the real money is in chemicals. They try hard to push that on you as much as they possibly can.

Some people get too much taper for comfort if they don't trim somewhat regularly, particularly when they start to get around WL. However, there is no reason why you need to cut hair if it's maintained well. I am now going on almost 2 years without a trim. For me, since I don't want to get past HL, I will need to trim more regularly in the future, but only to maintain it at that particular length.

lapushka
October 26th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I went 2 years without trimming (some on here go even longer) before reaching classic length. Since I reached my goal, I have it trimmed every 4 months, just because it gets too long for comfort after that. 2 inches over classic is about as long as I can stand. So yeah, it depends. Are you actively still growing it out, or have you reached your goal length? :)

country_girl384
October 26th, 2016, 02:53 PM
I went 2 years without trimming (some on here go even longer) before reaching classic length. Since I reached my goal, I have it trimmed every 4 months, just because it gets too long for comfort after that. 2 inches over classic is about as long as I can stand. So yeah, it depends. Are you actively still growing it out, or have you reached your goal length? :)

I'm growing it out still but only by a few inches. I just want to keep my hair healthy and didn't know if i should trim even though there's no damage that I can see.

missrandie
October 26th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Your mileage may vary.

As for myself, it has been almost a year and a half since I last trimmed my hair. I can count on one hand the number of split ends I've had, so I'm not going to trim anytime soon.

Others prefer to have a thicker hemline, or might have hair that needs regular trimming.

LaísB
October 26th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I personally think that if your hair looks nice, and you like the way it looks then there is no need to cut it. But if you would like to even the ends, or layer it you can cut, but if you want to keep the same style and your hair looks healthy then there is no reason at all to cut it at all.

Deborah
October 26th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Not cutting for a year probably does not cause damage. Using heat on your hair does. I'd stop the heat and not worry about cutting at any particular interval.

CarrotTop
October 26th, 2016, 04:34 PM
My rule of thumb for when to trim is "when it gets to be too much damage for S&D to take care of on its own." Also, I like a blunt hemline, so I trim when I feel like the ends are getting too thin.

mizukitty
October 26th, 2016, 04:42 PM
I think this is a myth mostly pushed by hair dressers, who want you to come in every 4 weeks or so to get a trim if you're "going for long hair." If your hair isn't damaged and you're happy with your hemline and the shape of the ends, etc, you don't need to cut your hair. I know my ends need a trim when they feel gross and dry despite 1. heavy moisture, 2. clarifying and chelating, and 3. oiling them overnight. At that point I'd rather just save my product and lose a bit of length to have healthy hair.

Flipgirl24
October 26th, 2016, 05:50 PM
A hairdresser will INSIST you must have your hair cut at least every 6-8 weeks. That's generally because that's what they're trained to think (and the cynic in me says that's how they make money)! However the truth is you CAN go years between haircuts as long as your hair is in good condition.
Over here (in the U.K.) I don't think I've seen many people with hair longer that APL frequent a hairdresser.... I think there may be a direct correlation... :eyebrows:
I once got a telling off from a hairdresser for leaving it a year between cuts. Bothered? Nope.
It's now been 10 and a half months since my last haircut. I've no intention of cutting for the foreseeable. I say Myth!

I can see having your hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks if you have a hairstyle with layers and shap or if you cut it short. But if you are growing it then no need for a cut unless it is damaged.

spidermom
October 26th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Myth or truth? It depends on your hair.

Once my hair starts splitting and breaking off, there's nothing in this world I can do about it but cut it. I've been at the hair-growing game for more than 10 years and once got all the way to classic length, so I know a little bit about the subject. If I avoid trimming, I eventually lose all my gained length to bad condition. If I keep up with trims about every 8-12 weeks, my ends stay in good condition, and I get to retain more length.

I recently gave up 10 inches. I don't mind because I needed a change, but the strongest reason for the cut was the thousands of split ends I could see sticking out every time I looked at my hair in good light. Some of the split ends at the ends of my split ends had splits! It was a mess!

So for me, haircuts to achieve more length? Absolute truth.

Kimberly
October 28th, 2016, 12:48 PM
My fairytale ends don't need scissors. Yay -- two points for Team Lazy! Because "Team Extreme Benign Neglect" doesn't roll off the tongue gracefully ... :-)