PDA

View Full Version : Broken off hairs at the scalp

Pink_Tea
October 26th, 2016, 04:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering is it normal to have a handful of broken off hairs at the scalp area? I seem to have a few very short ones (like an inch or so) and some that are a couple of inches long. A bit annoying as they tend to stick up after washing sometimes.

- I have fine hair, prone to being oily.
- Because I am not going out much at the moment, I don't wash my hair often (maybe twice a week).
- I use silicone-free, sulfate containing shampoos so that my scalp doesn't get too oily. I don't use any moisturizing agents on my hair.
- I only use conditioner on the mid length to the ends of my hair.
- I don't color my hair and haven't for a few years now.
- I don't brush very often. I only use a comb to gently detangle maybe every few days. I use a wooden comb and a Children's BB brush
- I don't pull my hair tightly when it's up.
- I use a microfiber towel to dry my hair and very rarely use a hairdryer and always on the lowest heat setting. I only pat my hair dry with a towel and then I tie it up with the microfiber towel for a while.
- I have type one diabetes and I eat a reduced carbohydrate diet. Don't smoke, rarely drink. Diet is fairly good, maybe a little low on vitamin D or omega 3's sometimes.

So I'm a bit confused why I have all these broken hairs. I do tend to move my hair a lot- I wear it down then I might tie it up loosely a few times a day. I do move around a fair bit when I sleep (maybe it's rubbing against the pillow?). I was massaging my hair more when I would shampoo but have recently tried to use a lighter touch when doing this to avoid making my scalp more oily. I also will "lift" my hair from the scalp area after I have combed or brushed it.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is it perfectly normal to have some broken hairs here and there even when your hair is healthy? Do you just tame them in place with some product after washing? Any tips to lessen the breakage?

Thanks. :)

Nique1202
October 26th, 2016, 04:39 AM
They're almost definitely not broken hairs, they're NEW ones. It's VERY rare for hair to break off above the ears unless it's been very heavily damaged. Every time you shed a hair, eventually it has to start growing back from the top. All those little halo hairs are, for 99.9% of people, just new growth.

If you want to tame them you can use a (as in, one single) drop of oil or serum, spread all over your fingers, and smooth them that way. They'll grow longer and start incorporating better into the rest of the hair eventually, to be replaced by the next lot of hairs that have shed and started regrowing.

eadwine
October 26th, 2016, 04:51 AM
I have a number of those in a few spots. They are new hairs but with a short terminal length. I have accepted them, somewhat, and just let them be, it makes an updo look playful :)

lapushka
October 26th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Take a look at this thread (there's pics in there that'll calm you down, hopefully :lol:)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Groovy Granny
October 26th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I use a fine tooth comb or BBB and spritzes of hairspray if I need to tame them for a special occasion.

Texture cream sometimes helps too.

Yay for new growth :cheer: