PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok to do?

Flipgirl24
October 25th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Hi LHC pros!

So being a newbie here, I was wondering if I could ask a question.

I try to wait 2 or 3 days between washing my hair. When I do wash it, I do a scalp wash. Then I will let my hair down, wet it and apply conditioner. Let it sit until I'm done washing then rinse with cold water.

Should I not bother wetting and conditioning the ends? Every once in a while I will do a more thorough wash meaning I will wet all my hair, then wash the scalp and let the suds move down the length as I rinse.

Thoughts?

Nymphe
October 25th, 2016, 07:53 PM
What is the condition of your hair and scalp? If it likes your current regimen, then you have no problem.

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Whatever works; sometimes I do a similar routine depending on my hair needs.
Go by how your hair looks and feels.

Flipgirl24
October 25th, 2016, 08:49 PM
What is the condition of your hair and scalp? If it likes your current regimen, then you have no problem.

I colour my hair to cover the grays and only blow dry my bangs unless I'm going out somewhere nice. So rarely. My hair is pretty healthy and no split ends. It's poker straight and fine in texture.

Kajzh
October 25th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Shampooing above the ears and conditioning below the ears is pretty normal!

Entangled
October 25th, 2016, 09:41 PM
The only thing that sounds odd to me is keeping the length dry while you shampoo--it sounds labor intensive to me, but if it works for you, keep doing it. I generally just hold my length up when rinsing suds out.

Flipgirl24
October 26th, 2016, 04:10 AM
The only thing that sounds odd to me is keeping the length dry while you shampoo--it sounds labor intensive to me, but if it works for you, keep doing it. I generally just hold my length up when rinsing suds out.

The reason I do that is so when I rinse out my shampoo, the shampoo doesn't touch the length. Then after I've rinse the shampoo out, I wet the length and apply conditioner. Does that make sense? I find it easier to put it up than to hold my hair up.

Flipgirl24
October 26th, 2016, 04:10 AM
Thank you everyone for your input!

202_bh_rider
October 26th, 2016, 04:48 AM
I think this is perfectly fine if it works for you. I normally shampoo once a week and do a DT twice a week, as my hair is also colored (although only the last few ends) but you should do whatever works for you!

Sarahlabyrinth
October 26th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Sounds fine to me - as long as your hair is happy and you are happy then all is well :)

Entangled
October 26th, 2016, 04:08 PM
The reason I do that is so when I rinse out my shampoo, the shampoo doesn't touch the length. Then after I've rinse the shampoo out, I wet the length and apply conditioner. Does that make sense? I find it easier to put it up than to hold my hair up.
Yep, that makes sense. Do what works for you!

CarrotTop
October 26th, 2016, 04:51 PM
To me this sounds like a concept similar to CWC- keeping the ends protected while shampooing. If it works for you, keep doing it!

Flipgirl24
October 26th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Yep, that makes sense. Do what works for you!

Awesome! Thank you very much!

meteor
October 26th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I think that's a pretty good routine actually. :thumbsup: I think it's great if you manage to reduce wet manipulation this way. The fact that your hair is dyed is even more reason to reduce exposure to sulfates (as they are known to fade dyes faster).

Should I not bother wetting and conditioning the ends? Every once in a while I will do a more thorough wash meaning I will wet all my hair, then wash the scalp and let the suds move down the length as I rinse.

Thoughts?

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking... if you manage to wash your whole scalp without wetting your length and if your length is looking/feeling good, what's the point wetting and conditioning it? Basically, I'd try it once to leave the length completely alone during one of those scalp only washes and see how it goes... You might be pleasantly surprised. ;)
Personally, the whole reason I do so many scalp only washes (in between full washes) is so I can save my length from extra exposure to detergents, wet manipulation, hygral fatigue and all that drying and detangling after. But that's just because my ends are on the dry side, they like oil and don't like overwashing... It's all very YMMV, of course, so I'd do some experimenting and just follow whatever routine your hair prefers! ;)

ETA: You may need to clarify your length from time to time though, depending on how the hair feels...

Best of luck! :cheer:

Flipgirl24
October 26th, 2016, 05:02 PM
To me this sounds like a concept similar to CWC- keeping the ends protected while shampooing. If it works for you, keep doing it!

Great thank you! When I was reading others' posts about scalp washing and no one put conditioner on the ends (or I missed the ones that do) so I thought maybe there was a reason

Flipgirl24
October 26th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I think this is perfectly fine if it works for you. I normally shampoo once a week and do a DT twice a week, as my hair is also colored (although only the last few ends) but you should do whatever works for you!

So do you do one DT after the one shampoo and the other DT just on wet hair? Or on dry hair? Sorry for the questions....