PDA

View Full Version : Combining no-poo and hair treatments

Ginger Power
October 25th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

First I'm sorry if this subject was already treated, I'm having a bit of a problem getting used to this huge forum ! :rolling:

I have a question for those who have a no-poo routine. I do lots of WO and I can successfully shampoo only every 10-15 days... (especially if I do henna because it makes my hair clean too) but then I'm a bit puzzled because when I do hair treatments I have to use shampoo if I want to remove correctly the oil (for example)... but I don't want to use agressive shampoo. To me if it can remove oil then it's already too agressive. :crazyq: (love this emoji omg)

What I'm trying to say is : how do you do masks when you have a no-poo routine ? What do you use ? Do you even do hair treatments ?
I've noticed that since I don't wash my hair that often, it has become softer, hydrated-like, and it seems like it doesn't need that much masks as before... but still I couldn't be comfortable with the idea of stoping haircare masks. :rolleyes:

:idea: I used to do "washing masks" with plants that I would leave in all night and it worked pretty well to get rid of oil without shampoo but I'm looking for something more practical, I don't want to do that all the time, it's too binding (if that even makes sense).

So... what's your big secret ? :pinktongue:
Thanks !

sarahthegemini
October 25th, 2016, 03:37 PM
You can remove oil treatments with a lightweight basic conditioner :)

Ginger Power
October 25th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Sarahthegemini : I don't understand... how can you remove oil with a conditioner ? It doesn't wash... :confused:

animetor7
October 25th, 2016, 04:50 PM
You can remove oil treatments with a lightweight basic conditioner :)

Yup, I like to heavy coconut oilings sometimes, and never have any trouble removing all the oil doing CO with good ol' Suave. That said, I find that to avoid build-up and make the treatments easier to remove, it's better to add only a bit of oil to your hair more regularly rather than heavy oiling infrequently. My current preferred oiling method is just enough to make my hands shiny from the ears down every day rather than a heavier oiling once a week.

ETA: Most conditioners still contain surfactants which allows water to interact with the oil and wash it away. So they have cleansing properties, just milder ones than shampoos do.

Ophidian
October 25th, 2016, 09:00 PM
I'm WO and I use small amounts of oil from time to time. It just soaks in. That's just my experience, but I think it is possible to have a no- or low-poo routine and use things like oils, fruit masks or herb washes successfully. If you want to oil more heavily then I've actually heard people say that CO washing removes excess oil quite well (like post above).

Ginger Power
October 26th, 2016, 03:52 AM
I find that to avoid build-up and make the treatments easier to remove, it's better to add only a bit of oil to your hair more regularly rather than heavy oiling infrequently
You have a good point ! I already do that, I put argan oil in small amounts everyday on my hair. I just thought that it couldn't replace heavy oiling... but why not. :)

Most conditioners still contain surfactants which allows water to interact with the oil and wash it away.
It's my bad actually, I only use conditioners that DON'T contain surfactants as I really don't want any surfactant touching my hair most of the time. So I could buy a conditioner especially for gentle oil removing. ^^ That's a good idea.

That's just my experience, but I think it is possible to have a no- or low-poo routine and use things like oils, fruit masks or herb washes successfully. If you want to oil more heavily then I've actually heard people say that CO washing removes excess oil quite well
I guess I have the answers I seeked : I can continue with the little amounts of oil every day and quit the heavy oiling, or I can buy a product for CO washing that will be less agressive compared to shampoo. :)

Thanks for your replies ! :D

sarahthegemini
October 26th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Sarahthegemini : I don't understand... how can you remove oil with a conditioner ? It doesn't wash... :confused:

You can either slap a load of conditioner on dry hair, leave for half an hour and then hop in the shower. Wet it a little and massage well. Rinse verrry well. Or you could get straight in the shower, saturate your hair with water and add conditioner all over. You just have to massage thoroughly and rinse thoroughly.

TatsuOni
October 26th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I CO-wash (conditioner only) and it works for getting oil out of the hair. The easiest way is to do as sarathegemini suggests and put conditioner in dry hair. I leave it in for around 15-20 minutes and then I just wash my hair as usual. Some people can get oil and stuff out with just WO, so it isn't completely impossible either.

I wash my hair every other week and haven't used shampoo at all in 3,5 years bye the way. Not that it makes a difference for my suggestion:p

Ginger Power
October 26th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Thank you for all your responses ! :D I'll buy a good conditioner for CO washing. :3