PDA

View Full Version : I have a curl.

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Singular. One curl.

https://s21.postimg.org/558s7q82v/IMG_20161025_015606511_HDR.jpg

I also have a few waves, like the one to the left of the curl. But most of my hair is still predominantly straight.
I don't know if you can tell, but starting at about my shoulder, the hair goes from curly/wavy to completely straight. This is after washing my hair with a sulfate shampoo.

So I'm toying with the idea of cutting off the bottom straight part. For several reasons, I have not been bothering to take very good care of my hair, and the ends aren't in super shape anyway. I admit I'm also a bit curious to see how my hair is without the weight of the length on it. As someone who has had straight hair her whole life, it's weirdly exciting to see it changing.

Sooo, thoughts? If nothing else, I hope my lone curl will make you guys laugh/smile. It does me. :)

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Oh no ~ don't cut that length off :tmi:

I was looking at your album and you have plenty of wurl potential if you encourage it just by scrunching with a leave in or gel and air drying.

Unless your ends are breaking off....but they look fine from here.... I would keep the length and just micro trim.

And..... is that a SNAKE wrapped around your bun in the avatar? :hmm:

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 12:18 PM
If your hair is mostly straight and this is a "lone" wurl, then it's not worth it to cut the length off - for NO reason! Healthy hair shouldn't be cut off for no reason. If your entire head of hair had wurl and you had straight heat damage, that would be different!

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Groovy Granny, that's the thing. I've tried using a leave-in and a gel, and while they look fine on the top half of my hair, the straight length gets stringy and dirty-looking.

Also, yes, it is a snake! When I was working at Petco, I'd wear him around while I was opening the store. He liked to wrap around my bun and look out over the top of my head. :lol:

Lapushka, it seems like I've got some waves, but they're mostly on the underlayer of hair. My length isn't super damaged, although the ends really need a trim.

hayheadsbird
October 25th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I have similarities in my hair, the back of my head has a strong wave, the front straight. If I wear it in a half up I look like I have proper wavy hair!

M.McDonough
October 25th, 2016, 12:48 PM
You know my bangs kinda look like your strands here, but my hair from behind is curly. So you said sulfate shampoo, do you think it's responsible for shaping up your hair, curls, waves, etc.? Cuz I think that's probably it..

calmyogi
October 25th, 2016, 12:50 PM
NO! Don't cut off your healthy hair! Like others have said. Don't cut off your hair just for the sake of one curl. It is mighty cute though :)

I have been noticing a slight wave in my daughters straight hair the last six months or so. I wonder with puberty if it will wave up more :cool:

calmyogi
October 25th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Groovy Granny, that's the thing. I've tried using a leave-in and a gel, and while they look fine on the top half of my hair, the straight length gets stringy and dirty-looking.

Also, yes, it is a snake! When I was working at Petco, I'd wear him around while I was opening the store. He liked to wrap around my bun and look out over the top of my head. :lol:

Lapushka, it seems like I've got some waves, but they're mostly on the underlayer of hair. My length isn't super damaged, although the ends really need a trim.

Watch out you might start a new Hairtoy/ornament trend on here hahaha!

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 12:59 PM
You know my bangs kinda look like your strands here, but my hair from behind is curly. So you said sulfate shampoo, do you think it's responsible for shaping up your hair, curls, waves, etc.? Cuz I think that's probably it..

I've heard that sulfate shampoos can lessen curls, so I was merely saying that my one curl has a 'strong' enough curl pattern to still form even if I'm using sulfate poo. If I use sulfate-free, I get slightly more waves on the underlayer.

NO! Don't cut off your healthy hair! Like others have said. Don't cut off your hair just for the sake of one curl. It is mighty cute though :)

I have been noticing a slight wave in my daughters straight hair the last six months or so. I wonder with puberty if it will wave up more :cool:

Well, it wouldn't just be for one curl... more of an experiment to see what my new wavy hair does without the length weighing it down. :P I see your point though.
I've heard that hair texture can change with puberty. Being almost 25, I don't think that's what caused my texture change! The only thing I can think of is that I moved from dry, dry Colorado down to humid Texas about 1.5 years ago. I can't imagine that that would cause the change, though...

If I owned a snake, you can bet I would be wearing him around my bun all the time! I loved that little guy.

calmyogi
October 25th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I've heard that sulfate shampoos can lessen curls, so I was merely saying that my one curl has a 'strong' enough curl pattern to still form even if I'm using sulfate poo. If I use sulfate-free, I get slightly more waves on the

Well, it wouldn't just be for one curl... more of an experiment to see what my new wavy hair does without the length weighing it down. :P I see your point though.
I've heard that hair texture can change with puberty. Being almost 25, I don't think that's what caused my texture change! The only thing I can think of is that I moved from dry, dry Colorado down to humid Texas about 1.5 years ago. I can't imagine that that would cause the change, though...

If I owned a snake, you can bet I would be wearing him around my bun all the time! I loved that little guy.

Humid weather an most definitely cause curls or waves. That's why I'm not a hundred percent sure my daughters hair has changed either. We live in Tnnessee and have the humid summers as well.

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2016, 01:06 PM

Oh I see!
You know....sometimes we just have to do the best we can and accept our hair for what it is....beings UNIQUELY OURS rather than perfection :shrug:
It does change over time, so we must be patient and versatile, and if something NEEDS a fix, then do it. Just my :twocents: :o

Well that's cool (snake) LOL

So yeah....give it a trim, lots of love, use a new hair toy/style.... and let it be (It is pretty) :wink:

calmyogi
October 25th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Oh yeah I was also going to say... A lot of the sulfates shampoos have silicones in them and the sulfate free kinds don't, usually. Silicones weigh my wurlies down after awhile. If I use a sulfate shampoo without silicone my curls bounce back better.

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah I was also going to say... A lot of the sulfates shampoos have silicones in them and the sulfate free kinds don't, usually. Silicones weigh my wurlies down after awhile. If I use a sulfate shampoo without silicone my curls bounce back better.

I'm just using Suave Naturals 'poo right now, which I believe doesn't have cones. I first noticed the waves when I stopped using coney conditioner.

Oh I see!
You know....sometimes we just have to do the best we can and accept our hair for what it is....beings UNIQUELY OURS rather than perfection :shrug:
It does change over time, so we must be patient and versatile, and if something NEEDS a fix, then do it. Just my :twocents: :o

Well that's cool (snake) LOL

So yeah....give it a trim, lots of love, use a new hair toy/style.... and let it be (It is pretty) :wink:

I think a trim is next on my agenda... I totally agree that accepting and loving your hair the way it is is important! My personal dilemma is figuring out if I would be happier with long, two-textured hair or with shorter hair with the straight ends cut off. I'm not stressing about the decision, and the great part about that is I can just leave it alone and it will keep growing until I decide what to do!

Humid weather an most definitely cause curls or waves. That's why I'm not a hundred percent sure my daughters hair has changed either. We live in Tnnessee and have the humid summers as well.

If all of my hair had changed, like the humidity brought out a wave pattern that was absent in a dry climate, that would make more sense. But this is more like, one day my hair stopped growing out of my head straight and started coming out wavy. I've read that that can just happen sometimes, with no explanation. Still weird, though!

calmyogi
October 25th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I'm just using Suave Naturals 'poo right now, which I believe doesn't have cones. I first noticed the waves when I stopped using coney conditioner.

I think a trim is next on my agenda... I totally agree that accepting and loving your hair the way it is is important! My personal dilemma is figuring out if I would be happier with long, two-textured hair or with shorter hair with the straight ends cut off. I'm not stressing about the decision, and the great part about that is I can just leave it alone and it will keep growing until I decide what to do!

If all of my hair had changed, like the humidity brought out a wave pattern that was absent in a dry climate, that would make more sense. But this is more like, one day my hair stopped growing out of my head straight and started coming out wavy. I've read that that can just happen sometimes, with no explanation. Still weird, though!

Yeah those don't have cones that I know of either. That is weird! I have heard of it happening though.

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Yeah those don't have cones that I know of either. That is weird! I have heard of it happening though.

I think my hair is having an identity crisis! :p :shrug:

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Two textures can be tough....my silver is curly and the darker remaining hair is more wavy.
Some sections have more silver than others...and it is more wispy and fine.
It can make for very interesting hair styles some days :lol:

Sounds like a solid plan ~ good luck :thumbsup:

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I've heard that sulfate shampoos can lessen curls, so I was merely saying that my one curl has a 'strong' enough curl pattern to still form even if I'm using sulfate poo. If I use sulfate-free, I get slightly more waves on the underlayer.

I wonder, where did you hear that? :confused: First time I've heard of this, and it certainly doesn't seem to be the case with me.

sarahthegemini
October 25th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Just chiming in to say I use sulfate shampoo every couple days and I have a strong-ish wave pattern (2b until I touch it) When I was co-washing, I had spirals particularly on my under layers.

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I wonder, where did you hear that? :confused: First time I've heard of this, and it certainly doesn't seem to be the case with me.

I think that it's one of the 'rules' of the CurlyGirl method. They recommend CO-washing or using a sulfate free or low-poo. I've noticed that my wave pattern is much less prominent if I use sulfate poo.

Just chiming in to say I use sulfate shampoo every couple days and I have a strong-ish wave pattern (2b until I touch it) When I was co-washing, I had spirals particularly on my under layers.

Thanks for chiming in! I didn't notice quite that significant of a difference, but that's cool that you did. Do you know why underlayers seem to sometimes curl more than the top layer? Is it just because the top layer is exposed to sun, wind, etc?

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I think that it's one of the 'rules' of the CurlyGirl method. They recommend CO-washing or using a sulfate free or low-poo. I've noticed that my wave pattern is much less prominent if I use sulfate poo.

I know the CG method doesn't advocate sulfates, but where does it say that it is to preserve the curl? I've never heard that.

sarahthegemini
October 25th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Thanks for chiming in! I didn't notice quite that significant of a difference, but that's cool that you did. Do you know why underlayers seem to sometimes curl more than the top layer? Is it just because the top layer is exposed to sun, wind, etc?

I noticed it after months of co-washing so it wasn't an immediate change, a welcome one nonetheless though! I think you're right, the top layer/canopy is more exposed and suffers more environmental damage. My under layers are shinier too.

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 03:00 PM
I know the CG method doesn't advocate sulfates, but where does it say that it is to preserve the curl? I've never heard that.

IIRC, I think they recommend avoiding sulfates because they tend to be more drying to hair, and curly/wavy hair tend to need a lot of moisture for the curls to look their best. Don't quote me on that though, I'm definitely no expert!

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 03:04 PM
IIRC, I think they recommend avoiding sulfates because they tend to be more drying to hair, and curly/wavy hair tend to need a lot of moisture for the curls to look their best. Don't quote me on that though, I'm definitely no expert!

Yeah I thought that was the reason. But that it would take out curl, that's new to me!

Hairkay
October 25th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Hi Leilan,

I'm liking your curl. I hope you find a way to enjoy it.

leilan
October 25th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Lapushka, I guess well-moisturized hair has a better curl pattern than dry hair? I know that the day I wash is when my waves/curl are most prominent. The next day they're all but gone.

Thank you, Hairkay! I do quite enjoy my curl. It cracks me up that there's just the one!

Hairkay
October 25th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Lapushka, I guess well-moisturized hair has a better curl pattern than dry hair? I know that the day I wash is when my waves/curl are most prominent. The next day they're all but gone.

Thank you, Hairkay! I do quite enjoy my curl. It cracks me up that there's just the one!

I had just the one curl when I was born. No it was not in the centre of my forehead but behind one ear. It took some time for the rest to develop curls.