PDA

View Full Version : Clean or not clean hair?

LynnaMaroo
October 25th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Might sound silly, but before LHC I never ever used conditioner. I think I'm classified as 1b/F/i/ii and thought my hair was always gross after conditioning. Well over the last 2-3weeks I've started new natural shampoo and conditioner. I'm just not sure what my hair is supposed to be/feel like clean after using conditioner. It seems ok after washing (washing every 2-3days now) but within 5-6 hours after it's dried starts to look oily again. Which makes washing every 2-3 days extremely difficult.

Shiranshoku
October 25th, 2016, 01:59 AM
Do you apply the conditioner on your scalp, too? Myself, I only add conditioner from my ears/chin down.
I've also switched from CWC, which tended to be a bit too much, to condition - wash - leave in + few drops of oil.

Also, ymmv of course, but stretching washes isn't the holy grail of getting long hair, so don't worry too much if you need to wash sooner. :-)

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 04:22 AM
Might sound silly, but before LHC I never ever used conditioner. I think I'm classified as 1b/F/i/ii and thought my hair was always gross after conditioning. Well over the last 2-3weeks I've started new natural shampoo and conditioner. I'm just not sure what my hair is supposed to be/feel like clean after using conditioner. It seems ok after washing (washing every 2-3days now) but within 5-6 hours after it's dried starts to look oily again. Which makes washing every 2-3 days extremely difficult.

Do you apply the conditioner on your scalp, too? Myself, I only add conditioner from my ears/chin down.
I've also switched from CWC, which tended to be a bit too much, to condition - wash - leave in + few drops of oil.

Also, ymmv of course, but stretching washes isn't the holy grail of getting long hair, so don't worry too much if you need to wash sooner. :-)

Yes, do not apply it to your scalp, only ears down, and then you normally won't have those issues.

There is a thread on here, I believe, of people who never use conditioner, because they just can't and won't use it. It is not necessary, if you are fine without it (and have no tangles in the hair without it).

animetor7
October 25th, 2016, 04:26 AM
I concur with the others about using conditioner only from the ears down unless CO-ing. You might not need conditioner at all, some people just use oil to moisturize and detangle and some can even get away with not using anything at all (LUCKY!!!). As for stretching washes, the main reason for me is that my hair is long enough now that washing and drying it takes a while and can be a bit of a hassle, so I stretch washes mainly so that I don't have to deal with that hassle as often. It also helps protect my ends from drying out too much, but for me it's mainly because I don't like waiting for my hair to dry so I'd rather just not wet it as often. :)

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 04:31 AM
This might be a good thread to check out, I think this is the thread I was referring to (could be wrong though):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138673

sarahthegemini
October 25th, 2016, 04:36 AM
Maybe you need a stronger shampoo and a lighter conditioner?

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Yep, sarahthegemini has a good point about lighter conditioners. Lighter conditioners are conditioners that accompany volumizing shampoos and also the Pantene Aqua Light conditioner is a light one. For oilier hair those shampoos are great too.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 25th, 2016, 05:49 AM
You have received all good advice here.

animetor7 is correct. I tried to stretch my wash and it was not for me too

spidermom
October 25th, 2016, 06:51 AM
You can always condition before washing if it weighs your hair down too much. You still get benefit, or at least I do.

animetor7
October 25th, 2016, 07:12 AM
You have received all good advice here.

animetor7 is correct. I tried to stretch my wash and it was not for me too

Oh I do stretch my washes I'm firmly in the once a week camp. It just might not be necessary for everyone. :) :flower:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 25th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Oh I do stretch my washes I'm firmly in the once a week camp. It just might not be necessary for everyone. :) :flower:

thank you animetor7

LynnaMaroo
October 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have been trying to only use conditioner on the length which really means the just the back of my head towards my neck cause my hair is short right now, haha mid/lower neck area. But I do have old lights towards the bottom so that area is a little more dry. Funny cause before I switched shampoos to a more natural one I was using Pantene aqua light shampoo, didn't try their conditioner. My hair did really well with that one. I do think the conditioner I'm using might be too heavy for my baby fine hair and/or need a stronger shampoo. Maybe I'll rotate my new stuff with the old stuff.

Thanks for the other thread link, I'll check it out. I've been trying to search my guestions first before I ask.

Would an ACV rinse help or is that going to make it more oily?

Kajzh
October 25th, 2016, 10:43 AM
ACV will help keep your hair moisturized if you have high porosity or hard water buildup. It will backfire if you have low-porosity hair though.

calmyogi
October 25th, 2016, 11:51 AM
How long have you been using this natural shampoo. A lot of the time if it's not as strong as your usual SLS shampoo your scalp needs time to adjust to the less strong cleanser. Also some scalps really need that extra cleaning power that the sulfates provide, Mine does.

calmyogi
October 25th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Well I just read that you were using the aqua light shampoo. That's a pretty strong shampoo. My guess is that your scalp needs time to adjust to the natural, probably less harsh, cleanser.

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Also, I have oily hair. Sulfate-free just didn't clean well enough for me. So my SD flared, *and* I had hair that refused to feel clean aka it felt oily even after a wash. If that is the case with you, maybe you *need* sulfates and a regular light conditioner? And this natural shampoo just isn't cutting it.

Kajzh
October 25th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Also, I have oily hair. Sulfate-free just didn't clean well enough for me. So my SD flared, *and* I had hair that refused to feel clean aka it felt oily even after a wash. If that is the case with you, maybe you *need* sulfates and a regular light conditioner? And this natural shampoo just isn't cutting it.

You can also find clarifying-strength sulfate-free shampoos. :) I use one to clarify (since I can't use anionic detergents, including sulfates, on my locks with my water quality) and it works great; it all depends on the specific ingredients and concentrations, though, because I've used some sulfate-free shampoos that are laughably weak!

But I do agree: DIY/natural "shampoos" and soaps do noooot cut it for me. So I definitely recommend that Lynna experiments a bit, because everyone "draws the line" at different places regarding what works or not!