PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed- Breakage

Bea18
October 24th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Lately I've been having a lot of breakage in my hair, I've tried to stop brushing so much, stop tying it too harshly, and yet it still happens with me.

Does anyone have a good tip I could use?

Thank you in advance, Bea.

vampyyri
October 24th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Well, what does your routine roughly look like? If it's not mechanical damage it may be something else.

Nique1202
October 25th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Damage takes a long time to build up to the point of making hair break, and it can take a long time for that damage to grow itself out, too. Even if you stop all your most damaging habits now and even if you start wearing it up more, it might take several inches of trims to get rid of all the hair that's damaged enough to break easily.

Still, you might consider switching from using a brush to using a wide-toothed comb or a Tangle Teezer, and find ways to put your hair up to prevent it from getting damaged by rubbing on everything that touches it throughout the day. Those two things can make a BIG difference in hair quality at the ends with minimal trimming.

Bea18
October 25th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Well, what does your routine roughly look like? If it's not mechanical damage it may be something else.

It's a simple routine, vampyyri. I just wash my hair every third day and gently brush it with a wide tooth comb. Use my hair cream to help get my curls into shape. that's all...

Bea18
October 25th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Damage takes a long time to build up to the point of making hair break, and it can take a long time for that damage to grow itself out, too. Even if you stop all your most damaging habits now and even if you start wearing it up more, it might take several inches of trims to get rid of all the hair that's damaged enough to break easily.

Still, you might consider switching from using a brush to using a wide-toothed comb or a Tangle Teezer, and find ways to put your hair up to prevent it from getting damaged by rubbing on everything that touches it throughout the day. Those two things can make a BIG difference in hair quality at the ends with minimal trimming.

Thank you for your tips! I already switched to the wide-toothed comb and I've noticed a slight difference. And yes, the longer my hair grows the more it gets damaged from rubbing with other tihngs, I'll look up a few styles to help me prevent that.

animetor7
October 25th, 2016, 06:15 AM
I would also add that depending on your hair type, a braid might not be protective enough once it gets long enough to rub on things. For me, I get increased breakage when I wear a braid rather than a bun because even though it's better than loose, I have very fine hair and the mechanical damage from the braid rubbing on clothing etc. is still too much for my hair. Buns with ends tucked in are much better for reducing breakage IMHO. I also agree with Nique about it taking a while for good habits to "show up" in the hair as it were. You may also look into how you're washing your hair and the quality of the tools you're using, what do you use? How much do you scrub at it? Do you use something to aid in detangling? Are there any seams or sharp edges on the tools you use on your hair (combs, hair toys, etc.)? All of these are possible sources of damage that are often overlooked.

Bea18
October 25th, 2016, 06:22 AM
I would also add that depending on your hair type, a braid might not be protective enough once it gets long enough to rub on things. For me, I get increased breakage when I wear a braid rather than a bun because even though it's better than loose, I have very fine hair and the mechanical damage from the braid rubbing on clothing etc. is still too much for my hair. Buns with ends tucked in are much better for reducing breakage IMHO. I also agree with Nique about it taking a while for good habits to "show up" in the hair as it were. You may also look into how you're washing your hair and the quality of the tools you're using, what do you use? How much do you scrub at it? Do you use something to aid in detangling? Are there any seams or sharp edges on the tools you use on your hair (combs, hair toys, etc.)? All of these are possible sources of damage that are often overlooked.

Thank you for your reply! I'll try to do more hair buns, as yes my braids get long enough already to rub on the clothing, itend to be very carefull with my hair tools and hair products, I'm using a shampoo to help give strenght to my hair and try to deep contioner and oil weekly, and I hope my good habits will help me with time.

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Do you use any heat on your hair? Like a straightener, or curling iron?

Bea18
October 25th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Do you use any heat on your hair? Like a straightener, or curling iron?

Hi! I rarely use it, as for only in very special ocasions, about three times a year.

Katia_k
October 25th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Depending on how your hair likes it, might not be a bad idea to try some protein treatments. My hair breaks if I sneeze funny, and seems to get a little sturdier if I'm doing these regularly.

Bea18
October 25th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Depending on how your hair likes it, might not be a bad idea to try some protein treatments. My hair breaks if I sneeze funny, and seems to get a little sturdier if I'm doing these regularly.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Protein treatments seem like a very good idea! Thanks for the tip!

lapushka
October 25th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Hi! I rarely use it, as for only in very special ocasions, about three times a year.

Examine your hair for white dots up the strand. That is a sure sign of heat damage, and it can already happen from using heat once.

Bea18
October 26th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Oh good idea! I'll try to see if I can get my hands on some protein treatments! Thank you for your reply and help!