PDA

View Full Version : Is having wispies associated with long hair?!

M.McDonough
October 24th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Is having wispies associated with long hair?! This may sound dumb. But I don't recall having them when I had short hair.

Entangled
October 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I notice them more on long hair, but I've always had them.

Mrstran
October 24th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Is having wispies associated with long hair?! This may sound dumb. But I don't recall having them when I had short hair.

I have a dumb sounding question as I am new to this. What are hair wispies?

long and strong
October 24th, 2016, 12:53 PM
They are shorter new hairs around the hair line.... Mine look like a fluffy halo when I've got my hair tied back!!

Mine are due to new hair following a large post-partum/post baby shed that left me with bald spots.... I'm hoping they grow out and eventually blend with the rest of my hair!!!!

Mrstran
October 24th, 2016, 01:06 PM
They are shorter new hairs around the hair line.... Mine look like a fluffy halo when I've got my hair tied back!!

Mine are due to new hair following a large post-partum/post baby shed that left me with bald spots.... I'm hoping they grow out and eventually blend with the rest of my hair!!!!

Oh I see, ok. Thank you for explaining that to me. I really had no clue lol.
I have those also and always have with long hair. I never notice a change in them for some reason though. Even now with short hair, I still have them.

mira-chan
October 24th, 2016, 01:10 PM
The hair around the hairline is always shorter because of hormonal signals from the skin layers next to it. It's essentially intermediate between head hair and vellus hair on the rest of the skin, which has a shorter terminal length due to androgen. When hair is cut shorter than shoulder then those hairs are short enough to be cut as well so not noticeable, or blend into the hair better. Longer hair is worn up more and these hairs are usually too short to stay tied back so we see them more with long hair.

Anje
October 24th, 2016, 01:34 PM
How much shorter was your short hair?

If it was shorter than your wispies get (say, pixie or a crew cut), then yeah, you probably never saw them.You cut them back to the same length as the rest of your hair. But when your hair is longer than those little hairs around the edge ever get, they begin to get apparent. My "short" hair was a little past shoulder so I could still put it up, and I still had them. The more disparate the length (3 feet of hair vs those little tufts that get about 4 inches long, for example!), the more obvious they're likely to seem to you.

jfg1987
October 24th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I call them baby hairs; when I had a pixie cut mine were only noticeable when I had my hair slicked back flat, they never wanted to (and still don't!) behave.

lapushka
October 24th, 2016, 02:41 PM

When you have short hair, they tend to blend in. ;)

Don't forget we have an entire club for wispies here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Kajzh
October 24th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Even some people with hair shorter than an inch take time to style their "baby hair," so I don't think it's only a longhair thing. :)

MsPharaohMoan
October 24th, 2016, 03:18 PM
The hair around the hairline is always shorter because of hormonal signals from the skin layers next to it. It's essentially intermediate between head hair and vellus hair on the rest of the skin, which has a shorter terminal length due to androgen. When hair is cut shorter than shoulder then those hairs are short enough to be cut as well so not noticeable, or blend into the hair better. Longer hair is worn up more and these hairs are usually too short to stay tied back so we see them more with long hair.

Fascinating response! Thanks mira-chan.

Kajzh
October 24th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Yes! I forgot to mention that: Very informative, thank you!

Hairkay
October 24th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Like everyone said, they'll blend in better if your hair is cut short enough to match the wispies.

mira-chan
October 24th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Fascinating response! Thanks mira-chan.

Yes! I forgot to mention that: Very informative, thank you!
You're welcome. :D

Kamille
October 24th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I always had them, even with super short hair. When my hair was super short, it just blended more naturally into the rest of the hair! :)

M.McDonough
October 25th, 2016, 01:31 AM
My bangs are pretty long, so mine are actually pretty long too, way past my chin. They're cool, but they just keep sticking out everywhere. Some people think that you get them because of heat styling?? I don't know.. I suppose all of us go 'em then, huh?

Anje
October 25th, 2016, 04:04 AM
My bangs are about bsl, and haven't been heat styled since they were actually bangs, yet I've got a few chin length wisps. It's not heat for me, just the way the hair naturally grows (or doesn't), like Mira-chan described.

animetor7
October 25th, 2016, 04:22 AM
I guess I'm the odd duck in that even when I had chin length hair, my wispies have never blended. They're a different texture than the rest of my hair and much finer. Most of my hair is 1a/1b and my wispies are more like a 1c or even possibly a 2a, especially after a shower they form very fine waves that are sometimes almost ringlets. When my hair is down this looks kind of silly because the rest of my hair is so straight, but in an updo I think they're cute. :)

Hairkay
October 25th, 2016, 05:52 AM
I guess I'm the odd duck in that even when I had chin length hair, my wispies have never blended. They're a different texture than the rest of my hair and much finer. Most of my hair is 1a/1b and my wispies are more like a 1c or even possibly a 2a, especially after a shower they form very fine waves that are sometimes almost ringlets. When my hair is down this looks kind of silly because the rest of my hair is so straight, but in an updo I think they're cute. :)

My wispies won't blend in if I cut my hair to chin length either. A few will but the rest won't. They will blend in if I cut my hair to twa because even the wispies will be getting cut as well.

animetor7
October 25th, 2016, 07:51 AM
My wispies won't blend in if I cut my hair to chin length either. A few will but the rest won't. They will blend in if I cut my hair to twa because even the wispies will be getting cut as well.

Oh, my wispies are at chin length or a bit longer, so they're cut when I had my hair cut to that length, they're just a markedly different texture than the rest of my hair, and that's why they don't blend. :)

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Wispies are a sign of new growth.... usually; it is a fact of life...but shows more with long hair than short.

I use a spritz of hairspray and a fine tooth comb or BBB to blend them in if I need a polished look for a special occasion.

Most of the time I just let them be....and celebrate that my hair is GROWING OUT.....and not falling out :wink:

trolleypup
October 25th, 2016, 06:10 PM
At terminal lengthish, I have all lengths of wispies...more than 3 inches tends to get with the length, unless I am out in the wind with my hair down then they all get picked out and float around. Of course, if I've gone past the wash schedule, they get stuck down a bit.

There are always wispies/regrowth, you just may not see them due to hair length and hair care...

M.McDonough
October 26th, 2016, 05:37 AM
I guess that's why this guy trims his hairline..

http://67.media.tumblr.com/cd85ff3f3b973b10ca075b7ab8c52c65/tumblr_inline_nc9gydv9Yu1s47533.jpg