PDA

View Full Version : Cone-converts!

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
So..

Well, I'm a cone-convert. I have been without them for about 9 months and I recently tried them again.

Woha! Crazy shine and pretty much tangle-free hair! Now I won't be afraid of wearing my hair down anymore...!

Darscilla
March 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Oh yes, I can't go without my cones, either. I just had four months off them and got my first two splits in six years trying to detangle all the time. IMO, cones don't conceal damage, they prevent it.
And you gotta love the shine and sleekness!

Tapioca
March 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Cone, cone, coney-cone! I'm a conehead, and proud of it. I also clarify weekly, to prevent buildup.

Carina
March 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM
I have to agree with you.Cones do rock:heartbeat:.I'm addicted to the Dove pro age conditioner.You just have to try it.The slip is out of this world:p.

Niphredil
March 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yep, been without for like 4 years and recently switched back to them...
Less tangles (= less damage from detangling), less frizz, more shine...
Happy me!!

Have to wash more frequent though, otherwise I get major tangles, dry brittle ends and greasy roots.

Neon Gloss
March 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
I LOVE CONES!! I've been debating on going back to them! I'm not sure if being cone-free (for only 2 weeks, ha!!) is making me shed/frizz/tangle more because I've been playing with my hair A LOT since I've started going without cones (my bad...). It's very brittle-feeling now, and I can feel that each strand is eerily bumpy. Is this is my real, non-silicone-coated hair that is saying, "Jezka, you've damaged me to this point with all of your no good blowdrying, straightening, and coneriffic washings, now fix me"?

Either way, I'll be going back to cones once my no-cone stuff is done. =) I love em.

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2008, 02:46 AM
I have to agree with you.Cones do rock:heartbeat:.I'm addicted to the Dove pro age conditioner.You just have to try it.The slip is out of this world:p.

Which cone does it contain?

Unofficial_Rose
March 22nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
I went cone-free when I henna'd, as they made my hair feel overconditioned, greasy and stringy.

However, now I'm highlighting again, my hair looks much better with cones.I think cones protect against mechanical damage somewhat. Bring on the Kérastase, I say! But I do alternate with Aubrey S&C and oilings to avoid too much coney build-up.

However, when I'm having a day when I really need it to look good, it's cones for me!

Carina
March 22nd, 2008, 04:52 AM
http://www.unilever.com/PIOTI/EN/p4.asp?selectCountry=UK&language=EN&productid=2095699 .Enjoy!

Phalaenopsis
March 22nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
IMO, cones don't conceal damage, they prevent it.

I agree! I was coneless for a year, recently I have tried Elvive Nutri-Gloss Light and I love it. It's so much nicer if you don't have to 'fight' with your hair. Although my hair is more static and I get some frizz. But I'm going to try some other products with cones before I can be sure that it is from the cones.

My hair just got damage because I had to detangle it all the time. I really got big knots and everything I had to fight against. Now it is much easier to slip my comb through my hair!

jupiterjuniper
March 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Hi there, newbie here. What are cones? Would somebody be so kind as to direct me to info?? Thanks!

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Hi there, newbie here. What are cones? Would somebody be so kind as to direct me to info?? Thanks!

There is an excellent article about cones under Articles section.

jupiterjuniper
March 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Cool, thanks. I didn't even notice there was an articles section. Hooray! :D

cuddledumplin
March 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
I went cone free for a few months, and it didn't do my hair any favours. My hair gets a lot fewer tangles, and cones don't seem to damage my hair at all.

ChloeDharma
March 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
I keep working at going cone free now but still use them a bit.

I must say that when my hair was mainly still the chemically processed stuff cones helped alot in dealing with that and giving it slip. I didn't actually shampoo though.......i was CO using cone products for over a year and never found problems with that.

I think cones have their place and for people growing out damage especially they can make the process much easier.

squiggyflop
March 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
i went without cones for a couple of months when i first joined this site because it seemed that every post i read was saying that they damaged hair... without cones my hair suffered alot of breakage and splits... so many that i think that when get to hip im going to have to trim it back to waist.. 40% of my hairs were split before this months search and destroy... and im sure it was from when i used no cones... also the bottom half of my hair has been dyed many times.. i think cones are great as long as you remember to clarify... i clarify pretty often with a mixture of clarifying shampoo and baking soda...at least twice a week...

CurlyOne
March 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
I went cone free for a while and tried them again a little while ago. I love the slippery feel and the less knots I have the happier I am. However, my hair responded violently to them! I had much more breakage and splits, I am very sad. :(

All I can say is simply pay attention to your hair, they all have different needs.

xrosiex
March 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I also went cone-free for a few months when I first joined TLC. I saw very little difference.I started using cones again. Now I feel the difference my hair is alot softer and shinnier. I lose alot less hair when I brush or comb it. I love cones.:cheese:

Sillage
March 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I LOVE CONES! I went cone-less for a few months (daily shampooing, daily oiling), but nothing works like cones do. Unbeatable smoothness and shine, way less frizz and tangling. I swear I will never stray again. They make my hair look so much better.

Delila
March 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm a conehead again, after a long break.

Buddaphlyy
March 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
I occasionally go cone free in the summer, but I think I will always use cones in some form or another. I sometimes straighten my hair with heat and my cone filled serum is the only thing that works for my hair for that.

Stagecoach
March 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
So..

Well, I'm a cone-convert. I have been without them for about 9 months and I recently tried them again.

Woha! Crazy shine and pretty much tangle-free hair! Now I won't be afraid of wearing my hair down anymore...!

Yes indeed! For along time I'd been wavering between cones vs. no cones. But since last November I've been using cone-laden-Dove. I just ran out of it and have had to use cone free condish for the past two washes.... awefull tangles, and just a general pain-in-the-neck fight with my hair. I've got to get more Dove!

HeatherAngela
March 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have a serious love affair with cones. I love the slip and shininess that I get with them. I switch back and forth every other wash between Aussie Moist and Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal.

royalscorpio
March 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
No cone-free product could keep my fine hair from turning into a rats nest within an hour. I love my cones. Didn't matter what I did to it, how much coconut oil I used, etc. Now, all that, combined with my cone conditioner, is making for a happy scalp, and happier, tangle free (well, not totally, but more so!), hair. :)

Celebrian
March 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, oh, oh... I knew it! I've been using Lush S&C while I've been cone-free for about two months now - and my virgin hair (well, non-bleached/PPD dyed hair) is lovely! But the bottom 6 inches or so are not too happy at all.

Doesn't matter how many SMT type treatments/moisture baths/oilings etc. it just stays rather 'woody' feeling - and the static! Also a Velcro effect of hairs winding around eachother, to the extent that I practically have to rip 'em apart (although I try to be patient!).

My latest theory is that - provided we clarify every so often - those of us with heat/chemical damage may need some form of 'cones on those areas 'til we've grown them out.

I was looking at Aussie Moist conditioner (which only has Hydrolysed wheat protein in) and I read somewhere that that is a water soluble 'cone. :shrug:

magicatt
March 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I had been 'cone free for about five years but last fall my hair was getting so tangled that the knots were looking like Tribbles and I was afraid I was going to have to cut them out or cut my hair shorter. I tried 'cones as a last resort and was amazed at how few tangles my hair had. I recently wound up having to use some cone-free conditioner and the difference was shocking. The Tribbles came back in force and it only took two washes before my hair was a disaster! Yay for cones. They have saved my hair.

addikted
March 28th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I can't live without my HG Kerastase conditioner. I tried going cone free as an experiment and my hair hated it. Became very knotted and tangled.

Emme76
March 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hey,
I just joined LHC a while ago, and been cone free since then. I will try cones again just to see the difference. I don´t really know what my hair likes....
I read that you n eed to clarify to get rid of build up. What is this and how do you do it???? My hair is very fine and thin...

THANK YOU! :)
/Emme

Forever_Sophie
March 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I can't imagine going without them! They make such a difference. I use a clarifying shampoo at least once every couple wks.

Forever_Sophie
March 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hey,
I just joined LHC a while ago, and been cone free since then. I will try cones again just to see the difference. I don´t really know what my hair likes....
I read that you n eed to clarify to get rid of build up. What is this and how do you do it???? My hair is very fine and thin...

THANK YOU! :)
/Emme

With enough products/"cones," you can feel the heavy buildup on the hair, & it may seem dull. The clarifying shampoos remove this :)

HaiirPEACE
March 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
what is a cone? i don't understand the crazy lingo here =[

Forever_Sophie
March 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
what is a cone? i don't understand the crazy lingo here =[

Silicones...they're found in many conditioners & styling products. If you check your conditioner ingredients and see words ending in "cone" - that's it. Some are water soluble - I *think* those aren't as bad? i.e. Ive read that the ones found in Brocato Cloud 9 are water soluble, for what it's worth :p

carloota
March 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM
OMG I am so glad somebody started this thread. My hair loves cones. The problem is, I don't like cones since I believe it makes my psoriasis flare up. Talk about a quandary.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/jedi.gif :luke:

Elle
March 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I don't think I'm a convert because I never really stopped using them. Well, except for that one week where I unknowingly went without them. Mannn... did my hair suffer that week. :shake: I'm definitely a conehead! :lol:

Arashi
March 29th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cones cones cones!
I recently switched back to 'cones, post chop (cut some pretty bad damage, went from hip length to shoulder blades-starting over) and my hair seems to only be happy with them. They don't seem to be causing any adverse effects, so I'm perfectly happy with using them. Whatever works, right?

I currently use Garnier Fructise Length and Strength conditioner. It smells like apples.. yummy :)

Anyway, glad to see some other coneheads on LHC.

rymorg2
March 29th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Conehead here......

I've been conefree and didn't have good luck with it, though it did make my wave look good. I really tend to go back and forth. If I'm straightening or the weather is getting warmer and humid and I get a lot of frizz I will use cones. In the winter or if I am planning on wearing it wavy for awhile I'll go cone free. It works for me.....but right now I'm a conehead. :)

BittSweetCherry
March 29th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I've tried to go cone-free. I've really tried. While my current S&C are certainly wonderful, they don't control the velcro effect and there's no way I can leave my hair out. I wish I could find a leave-in/post-wash smoothing serum or somesuch that had water-soluble cones only! I need the slipperiness of cones, but not the build-up :sad:

Is it just me, or is it the reasonably straight and fine end of the spectrum that can't let their cones go? Ironic - prior to joining LHC, I would have thought curly hairs needed the slippage more!

Sunderella
March 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
It's definately cones for me now. I did an experiment: I calrified my hair 3 months ago and did a S&D to make sure I started with no damage or splits. 3 months later I S&D again and had more splits then I ever have had. I usually do S&D every 3 motnhs and at the most I would only have 2-3 splits.

I think the cones actually protect my hair from splitting. I know I surely don't struggle with comb outs with cones and my hair doesn't retangle as bad during the day. I also noticed that my hair feels more moisturized at then end of the day with the cones.

I actually experiended more build up and faster with suave co's as compared to say sunilk or pantene. Suave would cause major dulling tacky buildup in 3-4 days. It takes cones about a month before they start to buildup.

Conehead I will be :D

Patrycja
March 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I went about a month without cones and I simply could not survive.Even with oils and aloe,my hair just wasn't the same.I do know now that I have to clarify about once every two weeks to "wake"my hair up when I do use cones on a regular basis.

I just bought herbal essenses Hello Hydration and sauve coconut.I can't wait to use these!:cheese:

Lamb
March 29th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I went back to cones because the cone-free conditioners I could afford didn't do a thing for my hair. I certainly didn't want to pay $$$ for Aubrey Organics, so I stick with Dove and it works great! My winter-damaged hair needs it, I have quite a few splits and don't want to get more.

funnybunny668
March 29th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I haven't really paid that much attention to the cone/no-cone debate. I think most of the products I use are probably cones, since I just use drugstore products... Dove, Suave Naturals, and VO5 are some of my favorites. I just go with what's not too expensive! LOL

Flutterbee
March 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Another cone fan here. I can't hardly comb my hair without them. I went cone free for over a year and fought with my hair so much that I think I did more damage working out tangles with my comb than anything else. I've really gotta try Dove too, after reading this thread!

itslex71
March 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Wow. Renegades! I recently had a trim in a salon and, of course, they washed and conditioned my hair with cones. The result was AMAZING shine and since then I've be thinking of going back.

Are there any condishes and shampoos that have cones but no sulfates or do the two usually go hand-in-hand?

Brun
March 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I was really persuaded of the cone-free treatment of my hair for two years. Today, I believe it's more like an urban legend thing. I like that new shine and the feeling of the slippery. I think it is more healthier because of that slippery prevents breaking my hair.

lisanoemi
March 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Conehead here!! I went without cones for almost 2 years and all I had was broken hair everywhere. I henna my hair once a month, don't use any kind of hair dryer or chemicals. I now use Pantene Pro-V and I have seen an improvement, my hair looks fuller, shinier, softer and best of all no breakage. So for now I am loving it, the only thing is that I have to use a clarifier once a week or so. ;)

Emme76
March 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Today I just had to try my deep treatment and it hs cones in it.
I feel like it lookes and feels the same, almost softer (the ends that I have a big problem with)with cones...

Can a hair like both cones and conefree???:rolleyes:

/emme

Loviatar
March 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
If I'm COing, I don't use cones. But if I'm SCing, I use cones. Seems to work :shrug:

Favourite coneys include Tresemme anti breakage, Dove and John Frieda Radiant Red. The first and the last have Cyclopentasiloxane. I'm not sure what Dove has.

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
It is strange how some people absolutely love cones and some people absolutely hate them.
In my experience, my hair hates them, but you never know, maybe one day it will love them again.

itslex71
March 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
After my earlier post I ran out and bought new shampoo and conditioner with cones: Biolage SmoothTherapie (http://www.matrixbeautiful.com/products/biolage/smootherapie.aspx)

Can anyone recommend a good clarifier? I do happen to have 2 bottles of KLS VO5 condish. Anybody clarify by COing followed by a vinegar rinse?

Loops
March 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Hi all -

yes I have managed to clarify using vinegar - it isn't supposed to be a clarifier but it does seem to work for cones like amodimethicone. If you have a lot of silicone build up on the hair then I have found the baking soda mixed with conditioner method to be a lot more effective. But I don't use tons of the stuff - I find just a teaspoon mixed in with a bottle of cone-free conditioner gets rid of cones really well (I don't use the whole bottle either, just a palmful).

I don't use clarifying shampoos because my hair hates shampoo, but it loves cones and oils mixed together! I also found that to do a really good clarifying it helps to oil my hair before washing, using some essential oils with a carrier (jojoba is good because it comes out with conditioner quite easily). Silicones dissolve in oil, and oil can be removed by COing - that's been my experience anyway.

I avoid dimethicone but all the others seem to be fine with my hair - even some of the lighter serums - the professional stuff seems easier to remove.

I too tried cone-free for a long time and I just never wore my hair down because it was a mess - ends sticking out crazily. I have sun-bleached hair, and it's going to probably continue like that until I stop swimming and living in Chile. So cones help protect it from further damage.

Loops
March 30th, 2008, 07:42 AM
yeah I also found that I got build up faster from COing with stuff like suave and vo5! How crazy is that? I find the new pantene stuff (with only the bis-amino cone in it) foams much more and gets rid of excess oil pretty well!

I also got worse build up from stuff like protein than cones. I used that giovanni direct leave-in for awhile on my cone-free COing kick and ended up with VERY dry ends. I think my hair hates soy protein.

Sunderella
March 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
yeah I also found that I got build up faster from COing with stuff like suave and vo5! How crazy is that? I find the new pantene stuff (with only the bis-amino cone in it) foams much more and gets rid of excess oil pretty well!

I also got worse build up from stuff like protein than cones. I used that giovanni direct leave-in for awhile on my cone-free COing kick and ended up with VERY dry ends. I think my hair hates soy protein.

I agree with that one!! Protiens like wheat or soy are murder for my hair, but I do well with Silk amino acids further down on the list.

Loops
March 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM
yeah I couldn't work out why my hair was getting drier and drier! Funny though because Pantene has some amino acids in it but they really don't bother my hair at all. I also do ok with silk anything - doesn't seem to build up anyway.

My favourite cone serum right now is kerastase oleo-relax serum. It has palm and shorea oil in it as well and it comes out of my hair really easily. Gone are my crazy afro hair days (maybe I'll go cone free again to get the fluffy psycho hair look though lol).

itslex71
March 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
yeah I also found that I got build up faster from COing with stuff like suave and vo5! How crazy is that?.

I hear ya! The first few times I CO'd with VO5 the results were so fantastic that I ran out and bought 7 bottles of the stuff. After about a month, my hair was crunchy and dull. I tried vinegar rinses and all that jazz, leaving the CO on longer, rinsing forever, etc., to no avail and went back to SC with Avalon Organics and oiling with coconut oil. And though that's been better, my VIRGIN hair is still on the dry side so I'm going pro-cone for a while and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip about oiling to remove cones. I love oil so this is good to know. I'm going to avoid serums and product altogether for the time being. I've been product-free for the past year and 4 months and coconut oil seems to do the trick for me.

HappyKarin
March 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM
My hair loves cones!
But I must ask; how does your hair feel when you having a cone build up?
I now how my hair feels when I dont use cones, all sticky, brittle an whith no shine at all.
But I'm a bit worried about the build up.

hairg33k
March 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'd have to say that my hair does not care about cones. Either way, with or without cones, my hair seems to act the same. Nothing different. I used to be cone-free, but i never saw a real difference. So, somedays i shampoo with cones and somedays i don't. It really just depends on what i want my hair to smell like that day out of my bazillion bottles of shampoo and conditioner:).

sowhat
March 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I have had good luck using White Rain Extra Body for CO and Nexxus Therappe and Humectress for SC. When I have used cone products it causes me to get an itchy scalp. I've tried back and forth on cones, but this seems to work for me.

archel
March 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Ohhh I have found the best thing ever for coneheads who also love coconut oil! Organix (I have found this line in Target, Walmart and CVS lately) has a serum that is out of this WORLD. It's called Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-breakage Serum and it ROCKS. It's sulfate free and the ingredients are great:

Cyclomethicone, Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane, C2-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Silk Amino Complex, Vanilla Bean Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, Egg White Proteins, Vitamin E, Fragrance.

Big bottle, inexpensive, and 2 pumps will do it for my thick almost waist length hair. Fabo!:cheese:

Loops
March 31st, 2008, 04:52 PM
Wow archel -

from what I have read the cyclo cones don't actually build up at all in the hair - and can be removed with conditioner only washes. How cool is that? So that serum would be great for anyone who doesn't want to shampoo (technically anyway).

Today I did a cone-free wash to remind myself - and yes, horrible tangles everywhere. Back to my serum and my hair loves me for it.

itslex71
March 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ohhh I have found the best thing ever for coneheads who also love coconut oil! Organix (I have found this line in Target, Walmart and CVS lately) has a serum that is out of this WORLD. It's called Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-breakage Serum and it ROCKS. It's sulfate free and the ingredients are great:

Because of your post, I picked up the Organix Vanilla Silk Blow Dry Cream (http://www.organixhair.com/vanillasilk.asp)today. I RARELY blow dry but this week I am going to our hometown to see lots of old friends and I will be blowing dry to style. I am hoping it is as good as the serum you love so much.

Emme76
March 31st, 2008, 11:51 PM
I have a question!!!Pleaseeeeee help! :)

If I use any product with cones in it - should I then use a schampoo with sulfate to get rid of buildup?

How do I know if it is a cone that washes out???

Thank you so much!!!
/Emme

Katze
April 1st, 2008, 05:48 AM
Emme, as far as I understand, 'cones aren't water soluable (this from BF who has a PhD in Chemistry...) so the problem is that they don't wash out. Many people feel that the shampoos needed to wash 'cones out are too harsh, and would rather stay away from both those kinds of detergents AND 'cones.

For me, my hair and scalp are happier with shampoo that has some sulfates, as my scalp gets gunky really quickly. And 'cones don't make that big a difference, but do make my hair smoother, softer, shinier, and hang better. However, they do seem to make my hair straighter (how can this be?!?) and make my scalp itchier.

I use 'cones every 3rd or 4th wash, as I feel. If I want to wear my hair down and have it look extra special, I use 'cones.

Emme76
April 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Thank you Katze!!!!!!
Now I think I am starting to get a hang of how everything works a bit better....:o!
I think my hair likes sulfates, or atleast needs it once in a while. I tried to go without but my hair just don´t feel the same.

Ans YES Cones also makes my hair straighter....I notice the exact same thing..lol...smoother and shiny!

Good idea not to use cones with every wash...

Thank´s AGAIN:D
/Emme

JasmineDaisy
April 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Im thinking about going back to cones. Does anybody know if coconut oil works well when used with cone products?

getoffmyskittle
April 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Im thinking about going back to cones. Does anybody know if coconut oil works well when used with cone products?

It does. :grin:

I'm a cone user (Aussie Moist all the way!). I haven't found that cones build up on my hair or that they affect any kind of oiling or DT.

Celebrian
April 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Emme, as far as I understand, 'cones aren't water soluable (this from BF who has a PhD in Chemistry...) so the problem is that they don't wash out. Many people feel that the shampoos needed to wash 'cones out are too harsh, and would rather stay away from both those kinds of detergents AND 'cones.

For me, my hair and scalp are happier with shampoo that has some sulfates, as my scalp gets gunky really quickly. And 'cones don't make that big a difference, but do make my hair smoother, softer, shinier, and hang better. However, they do seem to make my hair straighter (how can this be?!?) and make my scalp itchier.

I use 'cones every 3rd or 4th wash, as I feel. If I want to wear my hair down and have it look extra special, I use 'cones.

Katze, it is well established that some 'cones are water soluble. I read this on naturallycurly.com under 'CurlReading' section - but such info. is available elsewhere.

Here is a partial list - please note that only some of these 'cones are water soluble, and the list is not exhaustive...

Silicones.
Used to add shine and gloss to hair, decrease combing friction and tangling, provide conditioning, and act as humectants.

Amodimethicone - not soluble in water by itself
Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride mixture that is soluble in water in the bottle
Behenoxy Dimethicone - Sparingly soluble in water
Cetearyl methicone - not soluble in water
Cetyl Dimethicone - not soluble in water
Cyclomethicone - not soluble in water
Cyclopentasiloxane - not soluble in water
Dimethicone - not soluble in water
Dimethicone Copolyol - water soluble
Dimethicone copolyol - water soluble
Dimethiconol - not soluble in water
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane - water soluble
Stearoxy Dimethicone - Sparingly soluble in water
Stearyl Dimethicone - not soluble in water
Trimethylsilylamodimethicone - not soluble in water
Lauryl methicone copolyol - water soluble

Celebrian
April 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM
It does. :grin:

I'm a cone user (Aussie Moist all the way!). I haven't found that cones build up on my hair or that they affect any kind of oiling or DT.

You use the USA formulation - right? That has one water soluble cone in the conditioner. Forget whether the shampoo has any, but expect it does.

The only reason I mention this is because I decided to return to 'cone conditioner the other day, and whipped out my old friend Aussie Moist. Suprise! My UK formulation has no cones at all (as tomm reliably informs me)! The strange thing is that it gives the same slip and silk to my hair as do products with 'cones. Very strange, huh?

EvilPigeon
April 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
I also love cones :) Without them, my hair is frizzy. With them, my hair is softer,shinier and more...bouncy! I do have to use clarifying shampoo every now and then to prevent buildup...because the buildup sucks. But besides that, cones are awesome.

Loops
April 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Hi getoffmyskittle (great name btw!) -

do you ever shampoo? Does that aussimoist have the bis-amino cone in it? I'm finding that cone really great for avoiding buildup.

Emme - in past experience when I chose to use shampoo and cones, I could easily get rid of pretty much everything using even a decyl polyglucose shampoo, which isn't supposed to get rid of cones, but it did. I don't think you'll necessarily need a sulphate shampoo. I was once using avalon botanics lavender shampoo daily and using a really really heavy cone leave-in - no build up.

I have found also it is easy to confuse general build-up with cone build-up if I am really going a long time just using conditioner to wash. I once did a two month stint on holiday doing COing with a non-cone, followed by a pretty hefty dose of amodimethicone leave-in. What I found was I had manky puffy hair for about 2 weeks, but I continued without clarifying and....suddenly after about 3 weeks my hair became gorgeous. That was with NO clarifying, and I was convinced I had the dreaded cone buildup.

So then I did another experiment with no cones, and the same thing happened (horrid hair for 3 weeks) and then hair became nice again, but not as nice as with the cones on the ends it was forever tangly and messy, which was fine, I'm sure I was the only one to notice, but I prefer having tangle-free hair.

I can even get second-day hair with cones, which never ever happened with cone-free regime.

Patrycja
April 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm so slow.Obviously,I don't know a cone if it kicked me in the behind.Sauve coconut is cone-free....derrrr me :blush:

Myrddin
April 2nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
You use the USA formulation - right? That has one water soluble cone in the conditioner. Forget whether the shampoo has any, but expect it does.

The only reason I mention this is because I decided to return to 'cone conditioner the other day, and whipped out my old friend Aussie Moist. Suprise! My UK formulation has no cones at all (as tomm reliably informs me)! The strange thing is that it gives the same slip and silk to my hair as do products with 'cones. Very strange, huh?

Does ist contain behentrimonium or cetrimonium chloride?

Celebrian
April 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Does ist contain behentrimonium or cetrimonium chloride?

Here is the ingredient list:

AQUA-CETEARYL ALCOHOL-BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE-CETYL ESTERS-ACETAMIDE MEA-SODIUM PCA-DMDM HYDANTOIN-PARFUM-PHENOXYETHANOL-METHYLPARABEN-CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE-CETEARYL ALCOHOL-POLYSORBATE 60-LINALOOL-PROPYPARABEN-HYDROLYSED WHEAT PROTEIN-HYDROLYSED WHEAT STARCH-BUTYLPHENYL METHUPROPONAL-ALOE BARBADENSIS-LIMONENE-TRIDECETH12-PROPYLENE GLYCOL-MACADAMIA TERNIFOUA-ANTHEMIS NOBILUS-ANICOZANTHOS FLAVIDUS-TARAXACUM OFFICINALE-CALENDULA OFFICINALIS-PRUNUS SEROTINA-EQUISETUM ARVENSE-SAMBUTUS NIGRA-ALUM SATIVUM-ERTICA DOCA-ETHYLPARABEN-BUTYLPARABEN-ISOBUTYLPARABEN-Q19140-Q17200

Myrddin
April 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Here is the ingredient list:

AQUA-CETEARYL ALCOHOL-BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE-CETYL ESTERS-ACETAMIDE MEA-SODIUM PCA-DMDM HYDANTOIN-PARFUM-PHENOXYETHANOL-METHYLPARABEN-CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE-CETEARYL ALCOHOL-POLYSORBATE 60-LINALOOL-PROPYPARABEN-HYDROLYSED WHEAT PROTEIN-HYDROLYSED WHEAT STARCH-BUTYLPHENYL METHUPROPONAL-ALOE BARBADENSIS-LIMONENE-TRIDECETH12-PROPYLENE GLYCOL-MACADAMIA TERNIFOUA-ANTHEMIS NOBILUS-ANICOZANTHOS FLAVIDUS-TARAXACUM OFFICINALE-CALENDULA OFFICINALIS-PRUNUS SEROTINA-EQUISETUM ARVENSE-SAMBUTUS NIGRA-ALUM SATIVUM-ERTICA DOCA-ETHYLPARABEN-BUTYLPARABEN-ISOBUTYLPARABEN-Q19140-Q17200

Yes, it does contain behentrimonium chloride and it helps with detangling.

magicatt
April 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
JasmineDaisy says:

I am using a cone conditioner that already has coconut oil in it. One of their product line has already been mentioned here, actually. Organix Coconut Milk conditioner has both coconut oil and coconut milk in it--and it leaves my hair nice and moisturized. The Shea Butter one is good too. http://www.organixhair.com/

JasmineDaisy
April 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Magicatt: I am going to have to try the organix hair products. I have seen them several times, but I wasn't sure if I should purchase them or not. My only problem is that it has protein in it and my hair doesn't like protein if I use it every day. I think the pomegranate doesn't have any protein so I am going to try that one and see how it works.

magicatt
April 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Magicatt: I am going to have to try the organix hair products. I have seen them several times, but I wasn't sure if I should purchase them or not. My only problem is that it has protein in it and my hair doesn't like protein if I use it every day. I think the pomegranate doesn't have any protein so I am going to try that one and see how it works.

I actually just bought the Pomegranate and Green Tea one last week and, unfortunately for you, they do have the silk proteins in them. I thought I'd save you a trip to Target just to be disappointed.

My hair, on the other hand, is in heaven. I honestly think they made this shampoo/conditioner just for me. My hair loves protein and jojoba oil, I can't use SLS or SLeS (This shampoo has neither,) I wanted to have cones in both my shampoo and conditioner and I have allergy issues with a lot of smells except for fruits. Not asking for much, huh? This shampoo + conditioner combo has given me the soft, shiny, tangle-free hair of my dreams--no allergy issues, no build-up, no tangles or dryness. I'm just so happy and wanted to share. :)

Nevermore
April 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Does the Sauve citrus smoothie conditioner have cones? I don't think it does, but I'd like someone to confirm my reality and make sure no sneaky cones have snuck in. Thanks!

Celebrian
April 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Does the Sauve citrus smoothie conditioner have cones? I don't think it does, but I'd like someone to confirm my reality and make sure no sneaky cones have snuck in. Thanks!

Well, I found this under Commercial hair conditioners under Reviews on this site:

Unilever Suave Naturals Citrus Smoothie Conditioner Post a Review

Reviews Date product posted
0 Tue March 18, 2008

Description: From the bottle:
Replenish the natural beauty of your hair with this special blend of vitamin E and milk protein. Enjoy the fresh scent of oranges and grapefruits in a formula that restores shine to each strand.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Citrus Gandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Prunus Persica (Peach) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Oil, Honey Extract, tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate], Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Propylene Glycol, Methylchioroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolin-one, Yellow 5 (Cl 19140), Red 4 (Cl 14700)

Keywords: citrus smoothie suave milk protein extracts

I can't see any cones there. Anybody?

Nevermore
April 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM
That methylchioroisothiazolinone one is what I'm not sure on, I've seen some cones that end in none here.

Phalaenopsis
April 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I think it is a preservative (the one you mention in the last post, but is to long to write imo :p)

Hypnotica
April 9th, 2008, 02:32 AM
That methylchioroisothiazolinone one is what I'm not sure on, I've seen some cones that end in none here.

It's a preservative with antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Tapioca
April 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
JasmineDaisy says:
Im thinking about going back to cones. Does anybody know if coconut oil works well when used with cone product?

I use cones, and I deep treat with a coconut oiling. I've never had any problems. I do clarify before I oil, though.

Nevermore
April 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Part of the reason I want to switch to all natural products is so I can spell and say everything in them XD Thanks for your input :)

Nevermore
April 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
It won't let me edit (there's no edit button for me, am I too new here?) so

Phalaenopsis: my last post is to you

Hypnotica: yay! It's a not-cone-none. Thanks!

birthmarkie
April 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I used to use all sorts of cones in the past and then went mostly cone-free. Now I am using some dimethicone again and it is working fine for S&C or CO or CWC. So I guess I am converted as long as this huge bottle of conditioner lasts!

Loops
April 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hey I have found that it really depends on the product - I got some build up from a cheapie conditioner containing the same cones as a more expensive one that didn't (build up). It confused me so I just stopped trying to read into everything on the ingredients list. It could be some companies use a different molecular weight of cone than others.

shellblue1
April 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
My hair seems to like cones too! Cheap or expensive, doesn't matter to my hair.

HappyKarin
April 13th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I just tried Dove Intense care repairing conditioner, the dark blue bottle.
It´s great I can really recomend it!

Myrddin
April 13th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hi everybody,

regarding build-up: There are not necessarily the cones responsible for that. It could be also other ingredients in a conditioner like emulsifying waxes. I found out, when I used only organic shampoos and conditioners that I had veeery quickly build-up, but I cannot remember it has been that bad with coney conditoners.

My two cents.

Phalaenopsis
April 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Part of the reason I want to switch to all natural products is so I can spell and say everything in them XD Thanks for your input :)

I went natural for a year and I still found ingredients I couldn't pronounce :p
It's just the chemical (not meant in an unnatural way, chemics is everywhere) side of shampoo and such.:)

snowflower
April 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I tried conefree for 3 months. But my hair looked so heavy on the top and looked unwashed most of the time, lots of bad hairdays.. I have lots of splitends now, maybe my hair hated conefree..

Now I am happy with cones and my hair is shiny.

I wonder how you know you have build-ups, I never have noticed that

Phalaenopsis
April 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Me neither, I've never noticed buildup. Even never heard of it until hairforums.

Kunzang
April 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I use cones in the summer when its humid, otherwise my hair gets too frizzy and too many flyaways.

DolphinPrincess
April 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I LOVE my cones! I use the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Shampoo, Conditioner, and Leave-in. This set is WONDERFUL!!

RachelRose
December 29th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I went come free for quite awhile and for the first time my hair was super tangy I would get baby dreads under my hair when I woke up and it just felt dry dry dry . Coconut oil made it worse , smt was ok but didn't make miracles . I cut off length thinking it was just damaged but I couldn't figure out why as I don't hardly mess with heat or anything . I went back to cones and added in mineral oil after and it's like I have new hair . I went cone free for natural products but now I'm conventional all the way on hair products .

meteor
December 29th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks a lot for reviving this thread! :D

I tried going cone-free a couple years ago, when I blindly believed that if "all-natural" routine is being pushed everywhere, then it had to somehow make sense, even if my hair disagreed. I was so naive at the time that I had no clue how "natural" companies may promote universal chemical-phobia for pure business reasons. Then I researched cones a bit and I saw no problems with them at all. :shrug:
So I use products as cone-full as my hair likes. I like cones especially on damaged ends and during seasonal dryness since they are good occlusives and emollients. Some of my products are cone-free, some are coney. Whatever is safe and whatever works is good for me. ;) Simple!

ARG
December 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Some of my products are cone-free, some are coney. Whatever is safe and whatever works is good for me. ;) Simple!

!!! Quoted for truth!

I left cones for a while because I was under the delusion that softness and shine you get from cones was only an "illusion" of hair health, and thus considered it cheating. While my hair did okay with natural, it just wasn't the same. I did more research into cones trying to figure out what purpose they served, and found that they were actually very useful in keeping hair healthy and even protecting it from damage.

Haven't looked back since. If my hair and scalp like it, then why mess with it?

divinedobbie
December 29th, 2014, 09:27 PM
!!! Quoted for truth!

I left cones for a while because I was under the delusion that softness and shine you get from cones was only an "illusion" of hair health, and thus considered it cheating. While my hair did okay with natural, it just wasn't the same. I did more research into cones trying to figure out what purpose they served, and found that they were actually very useful in keeping hair healthy and even protecting it from damage.

Haven't looked back since. If my hair and scalp like it, then why mess with it?

Very interesting! Love what you said here. I went deeply natural after reading all about conventional evils but slowly I'm going back to my old routines. I've already gone back to daily washing a few months ago, and just started going back to (cool, gentle) blowdrying, and my next experiment is to go back to cones and see what my hair likes more since I'm no longer convinced that they are evil.

JustPam
December 30th, 2014, 03:07 AM
As much as I'm enjoying exploring the natural haircare, I do need the coney serum to finish or my hair just mats. I just think of it as a gloss coating that keeps all the natural moisturising things in that I apply before the serum.

Johannah
December 30th, 2014, 07:43 AM
My hair just feels better with cones. Period.

Not to mention my hair likes hydrolyzed keratin and I can only find conditioners with cones.

lapushka
December 30th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Conditioners with cones are a d**n necessity IMMHO, especially on longer lengths. Otherwise your hair tangles. The "natural" variants just aren't "nourishing" enough, if I can call it that. Or you'd have to buy a really thick, and probably really expensive natural conditioner. I don't know if the "Shea Moisture" range is without cones, though. That would be a good alternative. Although around and over $10 for one product is a lot in my book!

maborosi
December 30th, 2014, 08:38 AM
I love cones- I have mostly cone-free products but I am definitely not opposed to using cones.

I believe, too, that they help in preventing future damage because they coat the hair. For that reason, I use coney conditioner when I want to wear my hair down or in a non-protective style.

curlsgalore
December 30th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I don't use cones at all. I haven't for over 8 years or so. I've considered it but havent decided yet. Honestly, I don't even know how my hair would react. So, I will be watching this thread for product recommendations for conditioners and serums.

sourgrl
January 1st, 2015, 07:10 PM
Bolding my agreement. I have fine, wavy hair; a lot of fine, wavy hair. Since I hit hip the last 3 inches tangle, not horribly so but enough to cause concern. I comb from the bottom up and as I get to the top the ends have started to wrap around each other again. And the fairy knots... grrr. Yup, I'm working cones back into my routine.

Conditioners with cones are a d**n necessity IMMHO, especially on longer lengths Otherwise your hair tangles. The "natural" variants just aren't "nourishing" enough, if I can call it that. Or you'd have to buy a really thick, and probably really expensive natural conditioner. I don't know if the "Shea Moisture" range is without cones, though. That would be a good alternative. Although around and over $10 for one product is a lot in my book!

Amapola
January 1st, 2015, 09:37 PM
**raises hand** Yeah, I'm a Cone Head. Now, I will say this about my experience with cones: my own personal hair does really, really well with cones that I rinse out. The leave-ins do not seem to do me any favors at all. So I stay away from leave-in cones, and use the type that you rinse out after a set period of time.

I was cone-free for ages, but as it started getting longer, I found my hair got really velcro-y and I had to do something about that. Cones were the answer. My hair is very fine, and very fragile. The cones seem to protect it, help it not to tangle, and stop those baby hairs from sticking out quite so bad. Oh yes, I love my cones...

lapushka
January 2nd, 2015, 08:07 AM
I was cone-free for ages, but as it started getting longer, I found my hair got really velcro-y and I had to do something about that. Cones were the answer. My hair is very fine, and very fragile. The cones seem to protect it, help it not to tangle, and stop those baby hairs from sticking out quite so bad. Oh yes, I love my cones...

I remember getting to that point in time also, when my ends were just... *no* *way* is a comb getting through that... mess. And so it was either cut a piece off or use cones full-on. I came to that realization pretty soon, and wasn't even BSL.