PDA

View Full Version : Clear Hair "Dye"

FennFire911
October 22nd, 2016, 04:01 PM
I have reservations about this, it sounds too good to be true.
I was with my partner from work a few weeks ago and we decided to go to Sally's. We were talking about glosses and I mused that it would be really cool if there were clear dye that did nothing but add shine and make hair glossy looking. On a whim I asked one of the ladies working there if such a thing existed and sure enough it does. It was only $5 for the bottle so I figured why not. The label boasts of no ammonia and no peroxide, so the lady working at Sally's assured me it doesn't cause damage the way other hair dyes do.
I don't dye or perm my hair because I don't want to deal with harsh chemicals. I haven't used it yet because I'm still a bit skeptical. Even without ammonia or peroxide, is this still not a chemical? If I use it, will I officially have to care for my hair same as other dyed hair?
It's by Clairol, and the bottle says "Jazzing." The directions look to me the same as directions for all other hair dyes.
Has anybody here used this? Does it really gloss hair up nicely? Is it truly gentle like the bottle says?
As an aside, my hair has gotten shinier on its own over the past month or so. I had noticed it being dull, so I started more regular oilings that I would leave in for a few hours, stretching washes to longer than ever other day, got back to taking my daily multi-vitamins, and more gentle handling in general.
It would be great to have even shinier hair, but I'm scared to officially have processed hair.
Thoughts?

lapushka
October 22nd, 2016, 04:36 PM
I think a gloss is still a "dye" of some sorts. Have you looked at the ingredients on the package?

OhSuzi
October 22nd, 2016, 04:43 PM
I asked about this in a similar thread, what the flip is hair glossing / glazing and is it good / bad for your hair. I learned that most glossing products seemed to be similar to semi permenant hair dye, but with no pigment, but they still seemed to contain ammonia or peroxide and lasted about a month. And make your hair shiny / boost any colours you've dyed your hair with. Hair glazes seemed to be more like a leave in oil / glittery shampoo and lasted til you washed your hair. And it was possible to make your own with eye shadows. Have a good google of your product and ingredients and reviews etc if you're not confident to just stick it on. Iv not dared try anything yet.
Please keep us updated with the results if you do have a crack with it.

FennFire911
October 22nd, 2016, 04:46 PM
I think a gloss is still a "dye" of some sorts. Have you looked at the ingredients on the package?

The ingredients are
Water
Propylene glycol
Hydroxyethyl-cellulose
Ammonium lauryl sulfate
Fragrance
Polysorbate 20

I avoid sulfates in shampoo, but I'm guessing just one use wouldn't cause too much trouble. I do after all have a clarifying shampoo with sulfates. An occasion here and there is Ok I guess.
But I don't recognize the other things. I don't know what hair product ingredients are harmless and what should be avoided, and I don't know what the ingredients are in other dyes as compared to this one.
And how does this one say on the front of the label that in containts no ammonia, but the ingredients list ammonium lauryl sulfate?

FennFire911
October 22nd, 2016, 04:48 PM
I asked about this in a similar thread, what the flip is hair glossing / glazing and is it good / bad for your hair. I learned that most glossing products seemed to be similar to semi permenant hair dye, but with no pigment, but they still seemed to contain ammonia or peroxide and lasted about a month. And make your hair shiny / boost any colours you've dyed your hair with. Hair glazes seemed to be more like a leave in oil / glittery shampoo and lasted til you washed your hair. And it was possible to make your own with eye shadows. Have a good google of your product and ingredients and reviews etc if you're not confident to just stick it on. Iv not dared try anything yet.
Please keep us updated with the results if you do have a crack with it.

Well maybe I should try a glaze first. I'm down to shampooing twice a week so that sounds simple enough and worthwhile since it would last a few days and not be an every day thing.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2016, 04:49 PM
The ingredients are
Water
Propylene glycol
Hydroxyethyl-cellulose
Ammonium lauryl sulfate
Fragrance
Polysorbate 20

I avoid sulfates in shampoo, but I'm guessing just one use wouldn't cause too much trouble. I do after all have a clarifying shampoo with sulfates. An occasion here and there is Ok I guess.
But I don't recognize the other things. I don't know what hair product ingredients are harmless and what should be avoided, and I don't know what the ingredients are in other dyes as compared to this one.
And how does this one say on the front of the label that in containts no ammonia, but the ingredients list ammonium lauryl sulfate?

There doesn't appear to be any "dye" in this product at all - so that's one thing. I think it's just "expensive" shampoo, TBH.

FennFire911
October 22nd, 2016, 04:57 PM
There doesn't appear to be any "dye" in this product at all - so that's one thing. I think it's just "expensive" shampoo, TBH.

Good grief I'll fall for just about anything I guess. It was in the dye section and says "clear" in the place a colour would be named on the label. It says it's semi-permanent, lasting around 6 weeks.
If that's all it is I guess it can't hurt to give it a shot. I'll kick it around a few more days before I do it, and let y'all know how it goes. :)

spidermom
October 22nd, 2016, 06:57 PM
A stylist in the past used a product called Sebastian Cellophanes (I think) on my hair, clear. It was ultra-crazy shiny and smooth! I loved it. I don't remember it causing any damage.

gypsycolleen
October 22nd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Those are shampoo and soap ingredients, but I'm interested to see if this particular combination makes your hair shiny. :-)