PDA

View Full Version : Texture change. Why?

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 22nd, 2016, 04:31 PM
So recently I decided to clarify and SMT, for the first time ever.
I had not clarified in at least 1-2 years, at least with an actual clarifying shampoo. And I had been doing SMT wrong for the last 6 months.
I ACV regularly so I thought it was enough because I am a co-washer, but I guess I do not understand the science of clarifying because when I did that it was like my hair, became something else. It felt amazing, almost 100% tangle free, and super soft.
Anyway, I have my hair oiled at the moment and plan to co-wash today and see if there is immediate build-up.. Hopefully not. (I want my hair to feel this way forever, tbh... )

But, I re-took my siggy photo and just noticed the huge change.
My texture and curl pattern looks different. If you compare my siggy to my profile photo, you can tell. My ends however still have a curl.
Any waves you see are from the braids I keep my hair in at night/during the day so they are not my natural curl pattern.
Yes, I did henna and indigo recently as you can see. (I am wondering if this also can change wave pattern?)
It just looks super "straight", or straighter than normal. Im not unhappy about it but it is kind of irritating because I wonder what I need to change about my hair regimen, because if my texture ISNT as curly as I thought; maybe i need to use SLS? Maybe I actually need shampoo?

What do you guys think? What can cause texture changes of this extent?

lapushka
October 22nd, 2016, 04:52 PM
But, I re-took my siggy photo and just noticed the huge change.
My texture and curl pattern looks different. If you compare my siggy to my profile photo, you can tell. My ends however still have a curl.
Any waves you see are from the braids I keep my hair in at night/during the day so they are not my natural curl pattern.
Yes, I did henna and indigo recently as you can see. (I am wondering if this also can change wave pattern?)
It just looks super "straight", or straighter than normal. Im not unhappy about it but it is kind of irritating because I wonder what I need to change about my hair regimen, because if my texture ISNT as curly as I thought; maybe i need to use SLS? Maybe I actually need shampoo?

What do you guys think? What can cause texture changes of this extent?

Have you ever done a real hairtyping picture? That means washing (S/C) and gently toweling the water out, not combing and not touching the hair until it is 100% dry. Then we can tell.

Henna esp. can take out curl or wave to some degree. It can. In my case it got wavier. But YMMV.

I'm not sure if the use of different products can cause a change like this.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 22nd, 2016, 05:26 PM
Have you ever done a real hairtyping picture? That means washing (S/C) and gently toweling the water out, not combing and not touching the hair until it is 100% dry. Then we can tell.

Henna esp. can take out curl or wave to some degree. It can. In my case it got wavier. But YMMV.

I'm not sure if the use of different products can cause a change like this.

I would imagine that my most recent siggy is the texture I received because I did what you described. (S/C and then toweling) I do not really own "real" shampoo, only medicated shampoo for my SD and anti residue shampoo, but I always condition after. However I did brush my hair with a tangle teezer once my hair was half way dry. If I don't brush, my hair wont fully dry and almost clumps together with moisture. So thats the only thing.

I guess I can try again.

I am trying to create a stable regimen, its difficult. Lol.

I do feel that the henna and indigo caused this though. For sure. I am going to leave my hair be until I need to wash again. I will shampoo and condition, then leave my hair be until it dries... it will be hard to keep myself from finger combing but I will try. For the classifying pictures! huzzah.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2016, 05:28 PM
I would imagine that my most recent siggy is the texture I received because I did what you described. (S/C and then toweling) I do not really own "real" shampoo, only medicated shampoo for my SD and anti residue shampoo, but I always condition after. However I did brush my hair with a tangle teezer once my hair was half way dry. If I don't brush, my hair wont fully dry and almost clumps together with moisture. So thats the only thing.

I guess I can try again.

I am trying to create a stable regimen, its difficult. Lol.

I'm thinking you brushed all your wave out. ;) Hairtyping pictures aren't the easiest, I know, but it's just one time. :)

spidermom
October 22nd, 2016, 07:59 PM
If you brush or comb, you disturb the wave pattern. So if you want true hair typing, don't do that.

Obsidian
October 22nd, 2016, 09:20 PM
I've lost a lot of curl to henna, its to the point that you'd never know I had curls there and nothing I do can coax any curls out.

spidermom
October 22nd, 2016, 10:10 PM
My hair went from straightish to wavy/curly to straight/wavy and seems to be getting more curl now. Hair is weird and does what it wants.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 23rd, 2016, 01:20 AM
I still have my curls after my first attempt of henna