PDA

View Full Version : what am I doing wrong with this bun?

Stub
October 22nd, 2016, 08:27 AM
This is the best cinnabun I can do, and it ALWAYS stacks. I try and try to make it lay flat but it stacks. Is it because my hair is still short (bsl) or not very thick or what?? It FEELS like it is laying flat, I pin it, and look in the mirror to find this stack. It's making me nuts!

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/Stublet/IMG_1649_zps1lqde7xh.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/Stublet/media/IMG_1649_zps1lqde7xh.jpg.html)

The other side of my head:
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/Stublet/IMG_1650_zpsflo8r5e9.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/Stublet/media/IMG_1650_zpsflo8r5e9.jpg.html)

Complexity
October 22nd, 2016, 08:40 AM
This happens to me too. Maybe it's the pins (that's the only way I can get a cinnabun to hold at the moment)? Maybe pinning down the coils as you make them would help it lay flatter?

Sorry I can't be more help here.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2016, 08:47 AM
You might be twisting too tightly, which is why it heaps up. If you coil looser and pin as you go, it might work. But with looser buns also comes length, so it might not be possible right now.

Entangled
October 22nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Pinning as you go is a good tip. However, if you're not holding the bun with straight pins, but with spin pins, that's difficult to do.

Stub
October 22nd, 2016, 09:15 AM
Pinning as you go is a good tip. However, if you're not holding the bun with straight pins, but with spin pins, that's difficult to do.

I am using straight pins, maybe I'll try that. Thanks!

You might be twisting too tightly, which is why it heaps up. If you coil looser and pin as you go, it might work. But with looser buns also comes length, so it might not be possible right now.

I was wondering that too - was I twisting too tight or too loose. I don't think I can go much looser at this length and have it stay. I've tried other buns but I can't seem to do them at all, even following along on YouTube. Maybe I just have to live with the stack on bun days until it is longer!

Deborah
October 22nd, 2016, 10:06 AM
After you make the first swirl, try holding it firmly flat against your head with the palm of your non-dominant hand while you make the rest of the swirls. Then, while still holding the bun flat, finally tuck the ends under and then secure it all with your pins or whatever else you might like to try. This helped me when I was learning to do this type of bun. My problem was always getting the ends to stay tucked under, but you have wave, so that should not be too hard. Good luck!

DweamGoiL
October 22nd, 2016, 10:12 AM
It is the tension of the coils. I have the needed length and my cinnabun does that, too. I have very slippy hair so if I don't twist tightly, my hair just faints and everything falls apart. I don't really mind the hair stacking. It keeps everything more compact for me.

Cg
October 22nd, 2016, 10:34 AM
If your hair is slippery it may not lie the way you want regardless of length. At W+ I still can't get my slick hair to stay in a cinnamon or seashell bun regardless of method and type or number of pins.

At your length a disc bun might work better.

eadwine
October 22nd, 2016, 11:08 AM
Or maybe, since it stacks anyway, try a figure 8 :)

Entangled
October 22nd, 2016, 11:10 AM
I am using straight pins, maybe I'll try that. Thanks!

I was wondering that too - was I twisting too tight or too loose. I don't think I can go much looser at this length and have it stay. I've tried other buns but I can't seem to do them at all, even following along on YouTube. Maybe I just have to live with the stack on bun days until it is longer!

I think I gave the wrong message. Pinning as you go it's a great way to make the bun flat. It only works with straight pins, though-- with spin pins, they get interlocked and it's awkward to pin. I have the same problem as you, and use spin pins, because I don't have good straight pins. So I guess I was just trying to say something about make sure you have the right tools for the right technique.

Kat
October 22nd, 2016, 11:26 AM
I can't get mine not to do it, either-- I always assumed it was a feature of tucking the end under securely. (I just live with it. Twisting it more loosely means I get bits of hair sticking out and it looks messy and unkempt-- and not in that "cool" "I'm doing this on purpose" way but in a "I'm a slob" way. I can't pull off "cool" messy.)

lora410
October 22nd, 2016, 11:43 AM
I've always held my first swirl flat as I wrapped the rest

Llama
October 22nd, 2016, 11:58 AM
Yeah just use the palm of your other hand to hold it flat as you twist

Stub
November 4th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Or maybe, since it stacks anyway, try a figure 8 :)

This! I had to look up what it was, but then I tried it this morning and it has held tight all day and I LOVE it! So thank you eadwine! I was going to post a pic of it but photobucket has been down for ages (or, at least two days) so I can't!