PDA

View Full Version : color and texture change on length

Bucatini
October 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi all!
The last time I had long (for me) hair, was in high school and into college. I had never colored it, but it had been permed (once, then again a year and a half later) and the ends and the canopy were a COMPLETELY different color than my roots and the underneath. Coppery-blonde almost, and crunchy/crispy dry frizzy and hay-like because I didn't know how to properly care for my hair. The underneath was a silky deep brown.

I had blamed it on the perm back then, but now growing it out again ten years later, I notice that my completely virgin hair is doing the same thing! My roots and my underneath are really dark brown and smooth in texture, but the canopy and the ends are reddish and coppery. Since finding TLHC I don't have such a bad issue with crunchy/crispy dry frizzy hay problems (THANKS, TLHC!!) but I do have that distinct color change again, accompanied by a less severe texture change.

Is there any way I can (1) reverse this (please don't tell me to color or to try henna, I know myself and I will NEVER maintain it properly) and/or (2) stop the progression? I don't know what the cause is, whether this is from sun and the elements, a chemical reaction in my routine, or something else entirely.

By the way if it helps, my routine is like a lot of wavies. CO or S&C probably 4-5 days a week give or take. Plop with coconut oil and either aloe or a nice cone-free gel. Almost never brush, almost never blow-fry. Braid or bun to sleep if I'm deep oiling, otherwise I leave it loose.

Thanks in advance for the info!