PDA

View Full Version : Hair thinning, help please?

darkgaze2002
October 21st, 2016, 09:58 AM
Hi all, long time lurker but only officially registered today.
I have always had long hair but recently I noticed that I finally reached my goal after a two year stall and it's finally at the top of my knees! However, it tapers drastically and barely a few hairs reach that point making it look straggly and unhealthy. I have been on several different medications over the past three years due to medical issues and I have been have my hair fall out in clumps each time I brushed my hair. I have handfuls of hair coming out each brushing and to me, I notice how thin it is compared to just a few months ago and many of the styles I used to do are no longer possible. I've brought up my concerns to the doctor but the "side effects" don't seem to bother them. I've switched hair brushes from using a old fashion paddle brush to a innovated "Tangle Teezer" after reading positive reviews but my hair is still coming out in chunks. I'm about ready to cut it back to mid back length and see if it looks healthier that way. I am also looking into getting clip in extensions to bulk up my volume for my hair. Someone recommended "Rogaine" but I don't want to go down that road if there are any other options. I have a preferred beautician who has the equivalent of a masters in hair design but I honestly can't justify the money and haven't been in about four years.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Wusel
October 21st, 2016, 10:53 AM
Protein. Eat fat and protein. Up to 100 Grams per day. Since I eat 5 eggs, meat, fish and nuts every day the thinning stopped. And Pura D'Or shampoo. I didn't cut my hair since October 25. 2014 and it recoveredfrom shedding, is thicker again and has no splits. You can see it in the video linked in my signature.

And NO CLIP IN EXTENSIONS! Please! They will make it worse!

Annalouise
October 21st, 2016, 11:31 AM
If your hair loss is due to the medication then that is the reason its coming out, not your brush or what you put on your head, so changing that stuff won't stop it. You'll have to talk to a medical professional because if you have to be on those drugs then perhaps they can help you mitigate the side effects somehow. It sounds like a medical issue.
Good luck. And think long and hard before cutting off your length because it will take you 6 years to get it back to your knees.:)

spidermom
October 21st, 2016, 11:45 AM
Just some ideas, for what they're worth (maybe nothing):
1) Research your medical issues. Are there other things you can do to manage without medications? Diet, exercise, etc.
2) Talk to your doctor about alternatives. There is usually more than one choice of medication you can take to manage medical issues, and side effects vary. You might be able to trade in your hair loss for something less intolerable to you.

I'm not very sentimental about hair length any more and would cut back if I didn't like how thin my hair looked. Change can be good!

lapushka
October 21st, 2016, 12:18 PM
Like Annalouise said, a brush isn't going to change things.

If it's your medications, study them, read the inserts and look for the side-effects of the meds. Don't stop taking your medications, but always consult with your doctor(s) before doing anything.

Cutting it won't change the thickness. :shrug: