PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Head Sweat at Night?

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Mine does, and that must be why my hair gets lank so quickly. Would a satin pillowcase help with that? My pillowcases now are cotton. I don't know which would be better.
It doesn't help if I put my hair up or leave it down, either. Tips, anyone? I would try having a fan blow right on my head, but I know I'd wake up in the morning with a sore throat.

AJoifulNoise
October 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm glad to hear you say this. My hair looks lovely before bed... When I get up it's lanky. That's one of the reasons I don't wash my hair before bed.

I'm eager to see responses.

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm okay for the first night, but after that, I look like I haven't washed in ages.

amaiaisabella
October 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I find that my satin pillowcase actually makes my head sweat more. I wake up in the middle of the night with my scalp damp :( I would think jersey would be better than regular cotton in keeping cool, but I haven't tested it out.

AngelInDisguise
October 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I do have the same problem - but no solution so far.

But cotton always seemed to me the best solution, satin was a no-go.

I found that braiding my hair (in a French braid) was the best solution so far. Maybe this is because the hair can't move so much over night.

Unfortunately I'm usually too tired or too lazy (or simply both) in the night to frenchbraid....

Vitalai
October 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM
I have exactly the same problem. I take showers at night, and it looks fine when its dried. The next morning, it's completely flat and up it goes.

The only thing that I've done that helps is a high bun. I usually do this while its still damp, because I'm also doing it for the waves.

I'll try the French braid tonight, but I would like an option that doesn't make my hair curly.

Nanni
October 21st, 2008, 12:36 AM
:silly: Hehe, Even when I braid my hair befor bed, my roots get a bit moist during the night and when I wake up in the morning I look like a yeti. A sleepcap would help but my boyfriend would make fun of me. :silly:

Juanita
October 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
I braid, bun or ponytail my hair on the top of my head. Sleep on a cotton pillowcase. 22 C overnight here at the moment rising to 39- 40 C during the day.Quick rinse under the shower in morning. My hair dries in about an hour or so. It's fine and thin barely waist . Put it up with my African butterfly comb when I get to work. I ride a bike to work.

GlassEyes
October 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
I don't have the problem, but maybe misting your scalp at night would help keep it cool and from sweating so much? o-o;; I mean, water and sweat, though both water-based, have different properties, so maybe it would help?

Forever_Sophie
October 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM
I don't have that problem, either...I wash in the evening and use a satin pillowcase.

KnightsLady
October 21st, 2008, 06:36 AM
If your head is sweating at night, it makes me wonder how much and what sort of bedding you use. Sweating from overheating the body usually occurs in the upper portion of the body (chest, upper back, head). It can also cause dermatitis like symptoms (skin problems).

mira-chan
October 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm an unusual case. My scalp doesn't sweat, at all.

Cotton based satin (Synthetic satin is just bad overall) will still act like regular cotton warmth wise I've found. Silk on the other hand keeps cool.

Eden Iris
October 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
My husband and kids are all head sweaters, so it's likely genetic. Try sleeping cooler: lighter clothing and covers.

burns_erin
October 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
My head does sweat. So, Instead of having the head board of my bed, which is not solid, by the wall, the footboard is, so my head can catch a breeze from the fans or AC. I find more head sweating with satin than with cotten, and less with silk.

Tabitha
October 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Not my actual head, but the back of my neck often gets quite warm and sometimes downright sweaty. I'd echo what's been said here about silk rather than synthetic satin (satin just refers to the weave - that shiny finish). Silk breathes whereas synthetics will just make the problem much worse. I have a pair of silk satin pillowcases (I don't use them all the time though) and they go in the washing machine at 40C no problem.

sn0w
October 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
why yes my head sweats at night (but that could be from living in the Caribbean and some times going to sleep with out the AC being turned on :()

i would say cotton is the best thing for a pillow case but then again i have never tried satin nor silk stuff for a pillowcase:confused: as it makes me feel warm if i wear those fabrics any way.

i regards to your hair try putting it in 2 braids or more as the braids let more air circulate to the scalp than having it in a bun or a single braid.

hope that was some what helpful :)

rchorr
October 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
I thought it was just me! I have to say that hot flashes just make that worse!! LOL!

RCHORR'

MadHatter
October 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Okay, so last night I slept for most of the night without the covers. I use the covers as a habit, mainly, I don't generally get cold at night, but I feel weird if they aren't on me. I also ponytailed my hair on top of my head. I didn't seem to have sweat as much, but my hair was still lank.

peachy.pudding
October 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Try sleeping on a plastic protector cover, pop it on you pillow that should work, plus stop oiling, wash your pillow cases often as oil can build on your case

mugglemomof3
October 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
All I know is that my head sweats even when I sleep with only a sheet and the ceiling fan running. I tried four different typs of silk/satin pillowcases and they were all just horrible! I can only sleep on 100 cotton pillowcases on top of cotton pillows. :confused:

intothemist1999
March 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The back of my head sweats almost every night. One more reason I pull all the hair up and over the pillow/the head of bed.

Although I like to sleep with heavy blankets (more for the coziness and the weight) they were definitely making it worse. I've learned that I actually need only a sheet and maybe one blanket to be warm, and my head also sweats less.

rhubarbarin
March 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I guess mine does, cause my hair gets moisturized overnight! This is a plus for me because my hair is dry.

Shermie Girl
March 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Yup. Stupid hot flashes, anyway. :lol:

I have found that high thread count cotton sateen pillowcases and natural fill pillows (feather and/or down) do help, as does getting my hair up and using a fan. But, I still get head sweaties. Probably will for some time to come.

DelynofRhondda
March 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Have you tried flannel pillow cases over feather/down pillows? I like both the cotton and the wool flannel ones. They aren't "hair friendly" since they don't have a lot of slip, tho. They do help wick the sweats.

One trick I've learned: cold piggies. Keep the feet uncovered or at least the covers untucked at the bed-end. This helps draw off a lot of heat from night sweats and flushes.

Night sweats can happen to guys and gals ;) at any age.

p.s. Yes, I'll still wake up with sopping wet hair occasionally. And the suggestions to French plait or two side plaits-- it really does help let the air circulate and keep the hair from being tangled and as bedraggled otherwise.

Carolyn
March 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I'm through menopause but still suffer from night sweats. Joy :( I use high thread count cotten sateen pillowcases and down pillows. I keep my house on the cool side and my feet hanging out of the covers. I still wake up drenched in sweat. Then I get cold. Night sweats are one reason I like to wash my hair in the mornings. I can get the sweat washed off my scalp and have nice hair for the day.

Shermie Girl
March 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM
For me, personally, flannel pillowcases just made my head even hotter. I am better off with cotton sateen. :)

Carolyn, I also hang my feet out of the covers. Or all of me. :lol: Even in the winter, with no heat running, I am throwing my covers off and picking up my book to fan myself. Ugh. :p

RancheroTheBee
March 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
:hmm: What an interesting idea for a thread. I like.

It does sometimes, but I tend to overheat. Which is why I leave the window open a crack. In the dead of winter. The DBF hates it. "You're like a bear!"

Debra83
March 9th, 2009, 11:22 PM
My head used to sweat at night too, until I started using a buckwheat pillow I bought at the chiro's. I cover it with a satin pillow case too. Haven't had it happen since I bought it over a year ago now.

jera
March 10th, 2009, 01:30 AM
My head used to sweat at night too, until I started using a buckwheat pillow I bought at the chiro's. I cover it with a satin pillow case too. Haven't had it happen since I bought it over a year ago now.

What's a buckwheat pillow?

My head sweats at night when I sleep. This got much worse when I bought a satin pillowcase last spring to improve my hair's slip. :( So I wnt back to cotton pillowcases, and though sometimes my nape hair is a bit sweaty it's not as bad as it was with the satin. The satin case drenched my hair.:p

Finoriel
March 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM
No I donīt sweat at night, we keep our bedroom at cool temperatures about 62°F. Which makes a huge difference in how good I sleep. If itīs too hot I my scalp also sweats :wink: but that rarely happens here, maybe a month in summer :p depending on the summer. I prefer good old cotton for my bedclothes, for some odd reason satin really bothers me.