PDA

View Full Version : Hair Oil Questions

WildIris
October 20th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I like Moroccan Hair oil and Organix Moroccan Argan Oil, but neither has much oil. Both are mostly silicone.

This is my problem. I swim three times a week and wash my hair after swimming. Chlorine is washed out, but my hair can be straw-like the next day hence the reason why I started using hair oil. I tried straight up coconut oil, and a combination of other oils. They leave my hair soft but a bit greasy even when I use sparingly. Am I doing something wrong? I am looking for a leave in oil. Any suggestions? Maybe silicone is the better option?:confused:

adrias
October 20th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Perhaps you may want to try oiling before you swim to aid in protecting your hair from the pool chemicals?

animetor7
October 20th, 2016, 06:51 PM
I second oiling before swimming to protect hair from the pool chemicals. Then if it's still not coming out entirely and leaving your hair a bit greasy, I'd try a CO on the length to remove it which in my experience works better to remove oil than shampoo does.

Larki
October 20th, 2016, 08:45 PM
I used to be a competitive swimmer (six days a week)! Coconut oil or conditioner through your hair before swimming - alternatively, you can just soak your hair in normal water, which will keep your hair from absorbing much pool water. Wear a swim cap (silicone) to protect your hair from the pool (and the pool from your hair!), and wash as soon as possible after swimming. Use a lot of conditioner after washing and use a leave in conditioner before the oil after washing.

WildIris
October 20th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I'll give this a try tomorrow. Thanks

lapushka
October 21st, 2016, 05:05 AM
I like Moroccan Hair oil and Organix Moroccan Argan Oil, but neither has much oil. Both are mostly silicone.

This is my problem. I swim three times a week and wash my hair after swimming. Chlorine is washed out, but my hair can be straw-like the next day hence the reason why I started using hair oil. I tried straight up coconut oil, and a combination of other oils. They leave my hair soft but a bit greasy even when I use sparingly. Am I doing something wrong? I am looking for a leave in oil. Any suggestions? Maybe silicone is the better option?:confused:

You just need a couple drops of oil on damp hair after a wash, spread through palms then smoothed over the hair or scrunched in. It doesn't take much. Less is more!

Saproxylic
October 21st, 2016, 11:36 AM
I actually find that I get less oily result if I apply a few drops of oil first, and a few drops of silicone serum on top of that, seems that oil kinda mixes with silicone and I get best of both worlds. I actually skipped oil this wash, and my hair isn't as soft on coney serum alone. Also, do you swim during the day or in the evenings? I find that with oil if I get the right amount my hair will look a bit greasy the evening after the wash, but will absorb all the oil overnight and be just right the next morning. But we are really talking about small amounts of oil.

Anje
October 21st, 2016, 11:58 AM
I agree with the suggestion to soak your hair in clean water before you put on your swim cap, if your cap doesn't keep your hair dry. At least then your hair isn't absorbing much pool water.

For leave-in oils, the main key is to use very little oil, and usually you need less the straighter your hair is. (Maybe more to the point, straight hair gets stringy if you use much, whereas if you get a bit of excess oil on curly hair, the stringiness makes for defined curls and less frizz.) My hair isn't particularly thick, but it's fairly fine and fairly straight, and it goes down to my fingers. I use maybe 4-5 drops of oil for leaving in. When it was shorter, I used more like 2-3. What works for me is to rub that between my hands and sort of pat it on and then fingercomb it through damp or recently dry hair, and I leave it in til the next wash. It might look slightly stringy at first, but my hair is able to absorb oil in those quantities. (I like a lot of different oils. Light-colored sesame is a favorite, but avocado, coconut, burdock, and olive oil are all currently in my rotation. Olive is REALLY good at making things look stringy, but it also makes my hair softer than the rest of those.)

Some people really like putting oils in before they wash, though -- you can be a lot more heavy-handed with that and leave it in for at least a couple hours. Some oils like coconut have been demonstrated to reduce how much protein gets washed away from your hair if you pre-oil before washing, and a lot of people swear it makes their hair feel great. I don't personally have as much luck with that method, but it's useful enough for many people that you should consider giving it a try.

Saproxylic
October 21st, 2016, 12:05 PM
Wow, Anje my hair must be pretty thirsty then, I use about 4-5 drops of oil and about the same amount of silicone serum on my barely APL hair, if I'm feeling generous, and by second day it's all in! :) Everybody's hair is s different :)

long and strong
October 21st, 2016, 01:24 PM
I'm with saproxylic. I use a tiny amount of pure jojoba oil and then a bit of silicone based serum (ogx argon oil) on top..... if I'm wearing hair down and styled I'll just use the serum (but that isn't very often).

As for swimming, like others have said, oil before hand. I don't know how caps work as I've never used one, but I swim once a week and do Dutch pigtails with coconut oil through it.

Kirby-oh
October 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM
I agree with the suggestion to soak your hair in clean water before you put on your swim cap, if your cap doesn't keep your hair dry. At least then your hair isn't absorbing much pool water.

For leave-in oils, the main key is to use very little oil, and usually you need less the straighter your hair is. (Maybe more to the point, straight hair gets stringy if you use much, whereas if you get a bit of excess oil on curly hair, the stringiness makes for defined curls and less frizz.) My hair isn't particularly thick, but it's fairly fine and fairly straight, and it goes down to my fingers. I use maybe 4-5 drops of oil for leaving in. When it was shorter, I used more like 2-3. What works for me is to rub that between my hands and sort of pat it on and then fingercomb it through damp or recently dry hair, and I leave it in til the next wash. It might look slightly stringy at first, but my hair is able to absorb oil in those quantities. (I like a lot of different oils. Light-colored sesame is a favorite, but avocado, coconut, burdock, and olive oil are all currently in my rotation. Olive is REALLY good at making things look stringy, but it also makes my hair softer than the rest of those.)

Some people really like putting oils in before they wash, though -- you can be a lot more heavy-handed with that and leave it in for at least a couple hours. Some oils like coconut have been demonstrated to reduce how much protein gets washed away from your hair if you pre-oil before washing, and a lot of people swear it makes their hair feel great. I don't personally have as much luck with that method, but it's useful enough for many people that you should consider giving it a try.

4-5 drops of oil is what goes into my beard. Not sure how much would be for my hair normally, I only leave in an oil before washes, but that seems small for me. :)

Flipgirl24
October 21st, 2016, 08:25 PM
Use a lot of conditioner after washing alnd use a leave in conditioner before the oil after washing.

So you would use conditioner, then leave in conditioner, and then oil?

Larki
October 21st, 2016, 08:44 PM
So you would use conditioner, then leave in conditioner, and then oil?

Shampoo, then conditioner - get out of shower, towel dry, use a leave in conditioner and then a few drops of oil. :)

Anje
October 22nd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Yeah, my hair doesn't absorb much, and it's prone to going stringy. Also, it's better to err on the side of not over-oiling, when you're applying oil immediately after you've just washed your hair. :D