PDA

View Full Version : "Red Roots" and the term itself.

Mrstran
October 20th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Have any of you ever heard the term "red roots"? I was told that red roots was a name for the off color in between two colors when growing out dyed hair.

For instance you have bleached hair but have 2 inches of growth that you haven't dyed. In between the bleached hair and your natural color, there is a faded area of color that is nor blonde or your natural color. (in this case it would be orange)

I was wondering if any of you had heard of this term or if it goes by any other name. If you have had "red roots" from dying previously and have now grown them out, how long were/was the "red roots" (the off in between color)? 1inch? 2inch maybe?

Smky_Mtn_Echo
October 20th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I've heard this called hot roots but it sounds like the same thing.
I've never had it though as I always dyed darker; I think it's only a concern when lightening the hair.

meteor
October 20th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Hmm, I've never heard of "red roots"... :hmm: But I know "hot roots" - the term describes the phenomenon of hair very close to scalp lifting to a noticeably higher level (which will often look orange if lifting from darker color), assuming the same vol. lightener and the same application time, compared to lengths, because the heat from scalp speeds up the lifting process dramatically. :)

To avoid this problem, apply bleach or dye that uses developer a little bit away from scalp or do roots at the very end or use a slightly different formula for on-scalp application.

Mrstran
October 20th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I mean like with my hair, it's bleached and between my brown root and the bleach part my hair looks very orange. This orange is 1 inch long on my hair. I was wondering if it was the same on others. :)

Oh! Yes Hot roots are with the lighter areas, I get that. Red roots are the orange transition area.

Deborah
October 20th, 2016, 11:14 PM
This makes no sense unless the hair growing in is red. Then a person would have red roots.

lapushka
October 21st, 2016, 02:06 AM
This makes no sense unless the hair growing in is red. Then a person would have red roots.

Yep. Agree with that.

Now, "hot roots" is a term that is known. But "red roots" sounds like something new. ;)