PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hair up under a baseball cap.

Addy
October 19th, 2016, 09:13 PM
It's been awhile since I've been here and I need some help with updos that will fit under my work hat which is a baseball type hat with no hole in the back and has an elastic type band. I have to wear the hat 6 days a week. I'm in need of hair styles that are close to my head because the hat is one size (large/extra large) n it's getting tight with my BSL hair. lol I really don't want to cut my hair either. My job requires that my hair be up n off my collar too. I try to keep it as close to my head as possible. I've been wearing it in 2 box braids and pinned to my head and even that makes my hat feel tight.

Any suggestions you Ladies can help me with? I'd much appreciate it!

lithostoic
October 19th, 2016, 09:18 PM
You could do a low bun

Addy
October 19th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I work with inmates and do not want them to have anything they could grab onto if you know what I mean. That's why I want it as close to my head as possible.

Anje
October 20th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Maybe look into something like a vortex bun, which might sit closer to your head than a couple braids. But I've never had much luck getting my hair under a hat; my head is a bit large to leave adequate hair room.

lapushka
October 20th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Yeah, if you can't wear a low bun, then you're basically stuck. Your hair will grow longer and there will be more bulk there as you go. So... If it's tight now at BSL, then what are you going to do with more length? What about a cinnabun or LWB done high up on the head?

Entangled
October 20th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I like long and low buns, like Spidermom's bun or the L-finity (that way of making bun works much better for me than the conventional infinity bun). That fits underneath my bike helmet.

Shorty89
October 22nd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Would a crown braid be less bulky?

morrigan*
October 23rd, 2016, 02:21 AM
Do you wear regular baseball cap that has a strap on it's back ? If so i just do a cinnamon bun and then tighten strap over bun.

Under riding helmet i wear hair net like that. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJNOyqAvAY) It works like a charm.

Wildcat Diva
October 23rd, 2016, 09:04 AM
I thought I had this for you, but when you said you work with inmates my idea fell flat. It involves using a hair stick to secure the bun over the cap strap, which is not good because the cap coming off would also yank your hair.

You could simulate this a bit more safely I think... With a low cinnabun bun, with spin pins at the bottom and the top of the bun over the hat bottom but not secured.

I would put on the cap first and bun over it. Probably use a pony tail holder for security. Small spin pins on the sides of the bun. I have a cap, I'll do a trial run for you soon.

laceyfairy
October 23rd, 2016, 09:17 AM
Oval buns can get pretty flat

Wildcat Diva
October 23rd, 2016, 09:29 AM
Basically, you only have a couple of inches of scalp up from your nape to work with, so you have to figure out how to secure it to your scalp considering that. In thinking on this, especially with someone with thicker hair (not me). Using two ponytails and bunning from those might make it easier. Less bulk in one place.

Addy
October 27th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I thought I had this for you, but when you said you work with inmates my idea fell flat. It involves using a hair stick to secure the bun over the cap strap, which is not good because the cap coming off would also yank your hair.

You could simulate this a bit more safely I think... With a low cinnabun bun, with spin pins at the bottom and the top of the bun over the hat bottom but not secured.

I would put on the cap first and bun over it. Probably use a pony tail holder for security. Small spin pins on the sides of the bun. I have a cap, I'll do a trial run for you soon.

I can not cut the hat and it doesn't have a hole. It's basically an elastic band and I fill that l/xl hat up with hair. Lol Spin pins are awesome. I can get through the metal detector without setting it off. I have tried the ponytail with 3 braids or rope braids wrapped around it, one above the next and it has helped a lot than just wearing a twisted bun. I can not do hair sticks because of the potential of it being used as a weapon. I just don't want to cut my hair. I want to grow longer. I appreciate all the help thus far.