PDA

View Full Version : Build up after just one wash?

ebbypip
October 19th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post though I've been lurking around for many months now.

This is a question that's been bothering me for a long time: Why does my hair react so violently against so many products?

Often when I try a new shampoo or conditioner I find that my hair behaves the same way that it does in extreme cases of product build up- the strands simply don't dry properly and stay as if totally saturated with water even days after. Is it possible to have this level of build up after only one wash? The weird thing is that with the shampoos that my hair 'likes' I can go for months/years without getting this effect, despite the fact that they can come from the same range as those that it hates and have almost the same ingredients. There also doesn't seem to be any correlation with the hair type the product is marketed to.

For example, my hair loves Faith in Nature's Grapefruit and Orange shampoo and also their Ginkgo Biloba range, but hates their Hemp and Meadowfoam and Pomegranate and Rooibos versions. As far as I can see, the only different between these is the botanicals used. Could these be causing such a powerful effect?

The Faith in Nature range is actually one of the few that my hair usually reacts well to. In fact, both with mainstream and 'natural' brands, I'd say that the faux 'wet hair' look is more common than normal hair! Does anyone else have this problem/tips on how to deal with it?

RavenRose
October 19th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Herbal and botanical formulas can build up, and may occasionally need clarifying. A grapefruit/orange blend may have more citrus in it, which would be a bit more clarifing/ cause less buildup than a formula with hemp and tea. My hair is fine like yours and hates anything with a tea rinse in it, even Rooibos...

animetor7
October 20th, 2016, 12:13 AM
My hair has acted this way when the shampoo I was using wasn't strong enough to wash out all the sebum or oil that I had used, or when I've used too much conditioner and not rinsed properly. Perhaps with the next wash try rinsing for a longer time and see what happens, and maybe using a little bit less conditioner. Good luck, and welcome to the LHC!!! :)

spidermom
October 20th, 2016, 07:42 AM
You might need to use a clarifying shampoo from time to time, but definitely before using a new product.

My hair doesn't seem very prone to buildup. I can go weeks, even a couple of months, before needing to clarify.

lapushka
October 20th, 2016, 08:59 AM
How do you let it dry? You might have to use a blow dryer on cool or slightly warm (after a few hours of air drying perhaps).

Why not stay with the shampoos that your hair likes in the first place? It's all about finding out what your hair likes, and leaving the things it doesn't behind. Often there is no logic behind it, you just have to go with what's best for you. That's what this "experimenting" stage we often go through when we get here is all about. About finding out what our hair likes.

vampyyri
October 20th, 2016, 01:30 PM
This is me and coney conditioners, I can't even use them once without my hair freaking out. Instant frizz, tangles, and a rough texture. There are some things that work for some, but not for others. Same thing within brands, as frustrating as it may be. It's what we call ymmv (your milage may vary) here