PDA

View Full Version : Detangling (Nylon) & Smoothing (BBB): Mason Pearson Brushes for Long Hair

LillithTheFirst
October 19th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Hi,
So I have a white nylon Mason Pearson brush that I love for detangling, works like a tangle teaser, but I prefer it much more.
I was thinking about getting a black 100% BBB from Mason Pearson for "Smoothing" as I realised that just detangling is the first step and I've obviously been missing this and as my hair gets longer it gets less smooth and dryer at the ends even with oiling and the boar bustle is supposed to fix all that.
The "problem" is that apart from my hair being TBL there is quite a lot of it. I can't find many videos or explanations of how to use the brush but wondering how you may tackle it? Would you think it's best to section the hair after detangling to then use the BBB so you get ALL the hairs and not just those sitting on the top. I do remember using my sisters Mason Pearson 100% BBB in childhood and just remembering thinking it did nothing cause it would just brush the surface of my hair if that makes sense. But obviously now I realise that it isn't meant to detangle the hair.

Thoughts????

Many thanks.

sumidha
October 19th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I'm not a BBB expert by any means, but you already have the right idea. Detangle first, section the hair into small enough sections that the brush will get through it, then brush each section. Waaay too much work for me, but lots of people love it. :)

ETA: I've also seen people say that for thicker hair it's better to get a brush with stiffer/thicker bristles in thinner rows with spaces between them, as opposed to a brush that's a solid mass of finer bristles.