PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Wear Your Hair In Public?

M.McDonough
October 19th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening.

As always, I'm trying to start an interesting discussion.

We all know that there are some certain rules as to what you should wear to a certain occasion, dress code or something like that. For example, you can't wear your hair down to a class or something..So I was wondering how do you wear your hair in public?

I'll start.
I used to wear my hair down almost all the time. I don't like to tie back. Now, however, that it's quite long I usually wear it in a bun when I'm running errands or something cuz it's easier and I don't really like how some people stare at me.. I mean I don't care, but I just don't like that. :rolleyes:

So?

Acid
October 19th, 2016, 07:55 AM
i always wear mine down, in two small princess leia inspired side buns or in two chunky dutch braids (my favourite is to leave them in ponytails at the bottom like this: http://www.number4hair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/How-To-Rock-The-Double-Dutch-Braid-3.jpg,

i grew it long just to have it falling down my back and over my shoulders not to wear it in a nape bun because updos dont suit me much so i dont mind that its more prone to damage than other peoples hair is. if im home i will wear it in a top knot to keep it off my face, balance the weight and stop it tangling but i dont like how i look very stern and harsh with it so i wouldnt wear it out.

calmyogi
October 19th, 2016, 07:59 AM
At work I usually just wear a top knot. I actually don't like my hair down a whole lot anyways, it kind of bothers me. I can rest my head against my car seat or lay on the couch when I'm at home with it piled on top of my head too. I do braids sometimes at work but I don't really like how English braids frame my face and I can't do a side braid because it would be a hazard in my work environment. I do like how French braids frame my face, but I usually don't like doing those so early in the morning when I'm getting ready. I do a lazy wrap bun secured with a hair stick when I'm feeling tired of the top knot, but that would only be at work before when I'm commuting or hanging at home other leveled buns would irk me. I would wear my hair down while running errands, when I go to church, or sometimes when I'm just going on a lazy walk with the dog. I don't mind it down if I'm not working or exercising. anything that I'm moving around and sweating a lot I just can't have it down. I always wonder when I'm watching a movie and the heroin is running around with her long hair flowing around. If it was me the first thing I would do is pull my hair back then proceed with saving the world lol.

EDIT: I guess when I say I don't like it down a whole lot I mean I don't like it down if I'm cleaning, working, exercising, or again any type of movement where it might get in my way. I will wear it down at any other chance I get like what I said above. Because I agree with what Acid said above. I grew it long because it's pretty and I want to enjoy it not have it in a bun ALL the time.

Cg
October 19th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Always bunned. At work it's necessary and otherwise it's just easier not to deal with potential snags and hair in the face.

lithostoic
October 19th, 2016, 08:25 AM
At work I typically wear a low pony or braid because it's the only thing that doesn't hurt throughout the day. Otherwise. my hair is loose.

GrowingOut
October 19th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I tend to keep it in a braided LWB secured with sticks because I do a lot of heavy lifting in very cramped spaces and work with food. I like it out of the way so I can focus on doing my job, and as long as my bun is neat and I use a pretty stick most people just ignore it or comment on the stick.

animetor7
October 19th, 2016, 08:48 AM
I'll leave it down some at home or for special occasions. But I work in a lab with potentially dangerous chemicals, machines, and exposure to fire(Bunsen burners). So if your hair is past about shoulder length it's a safety hazard unless it's up in a bun. Even braids can be dangerous because they can get caught in things, set on fire or doused in chemicals more easily than hair that is bunned. So up it is. I'm also trying to reach terminal, so I want to give my hair the best chance to grow very long, so I usually wear it up on my off days too if I'm out and about, for protection and convenience. :) Perhaps if I'm maintaining ever I'll wear it down more often.

Gem
October 19th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Nearly always up, occasionally in a braid. I like my hair long for the braids and updos - I'm not a fan of how it feels down.

lapushka
October 19th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I just wear it the very same, at home, in public (which I rarely am). Just a basic LWB. Done. Boom! :lol:

raemarthe
October 19th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Typically it is in some sort of braid or a bun held by a hair stick. My exceptions are on Mondays because I have school, and occasionally on the weekends I wear it down.

vampyyri
October 19th, 2016, 09:14 AM
In various buns/braids. I used to wear mine down all the time, but since I'm doing the Wear Your Hair Up challenge, it's been faithfully up since July!

CrazyWaves
October 19th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Mine has to stay up while I'm at work because I work with food and it has to be covered with a hair net. Usually down at home, unless it's in need of a wash, if my daughter (17 months) is in a mood to pull on it. If I'm going out somewhere other than work, to all depends on my mood at the time, but I always have something with me to put it up if need be.

hayheadsbird
October 19th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Most of the time up in a bun or braids, at work or at home. Only really down to dry or detangle, occasionally I'll wear it down if it's a wash day and it's particularly wavy because I like it.
I work in a fairly busy environment, so it's easier to have it out of the way, and small children at home, so it helps not to give them something else to swing on.

HairPlease
October 19th, 2016, 10:18 AM
When it's long I'll just flop it into a nicely done pony tail. Right now at shoulder length I just gel it back like the mafia.

sumidha
October 19th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Always up. 95% of the time in a bun, sneaky braids get into stuff way too much.

littlestarface
October 19th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Most of the time up in a bun or braids, at work or at home. Only really down to dry or detangle, occasionally I'll wear it down if it's a wash day and it's particularly wavy because I like it.
I work in a fairly busy environment, so it's easier to have it out of the way, and small children at home, so it helps not to give them something else to swing on.

Lol

If I go out (and that's rare) my hair is always in twin braids but it's under a scarf and dress as well.

spidermom
October 19th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Around here, you most certainly can wear hair down to a class.

Usually mine is up in some sort of bun or braids pinned up. It's just easier if my hair isn't all over the place, tickling my neck and making me hot.

Chromis
October 19th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Up, up, and away! Pretty much always up and I braid it for sleeping.

To me one of the most fun things about long hair is how many different updos I can do and all the cool hairtoys I can use to accomplish that.

Anje
October 19th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Mine is braided or bunned most of the time. Braids are easier to drive in (I've complained about the Civic's headrests here countless times) and more comfortable for me, but buns are nice for being inconspicuous and staying relatively nice for many hours. Occasionally I'll wear it down if I'm out and not eating/drinking and don't mind the attention, but that situation isn't super common.

missrandie
October 19th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Mine is nearly always up in a twist or a bun, with a tucked French braid thrown in now and then.

Seratopia
October 19th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Always in a side braid, thought this was a protective hairstyle but the hair tie is causing me massive splits because of my stupid layers I got half a year ago.. The hair tie sits right on the little delicate ends of my layers no matter where I tie it off. Waiting on funds to get that stick I wanted and then I should be okay.

yahirwaO.o
October 19th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I have moments in which I either wear it dow all the timen or up all the time. This would mean down,brushed and straight casual everyday or night out or a high top knot if im cleaning or carring weight. If im studing or reading most of the time is a low pony or low bun.

The way I enjoy it more is just simple down 70's kinda and middle parted, I feel so confident and good like this.... and its dead easy since my hair is silky and naturally looks great when down!

I like half ups and braids but I reserve those when I have braid waves or feel sick!

Mrstran
October 19th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I have collar bone length hair, but I fake a longer pony tail. I tie up my hair into a semi high pony and take a little hair from the base of my neck and wrap it up around my pony tail. It pulls up my hair underneath just enough to make it look like I have a longer ponytail than I actually do. .. I'm such a cheater :D

Mrstran
October 19th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Correction: I tie HALF of my hair up into a pony tail, then take some from down by my neck. :) sorry!

samanthaa
October 19th, 2016, 01:57 PM
For me, it depends how far from wash day I am. My hair is really only wear-down-able on day 1. I can do a half-up on day 2. Days 3-7 are up, typically in a bun. If I SMT or DT on a weekday, I might sleep in a braid and rock a half-up of braid waves the next day.

Groovy Granny
October 19th, 2016, 02:14 PM
If it is hot weather I wear it up, otherwise I prefer it down....but it is usually contained either in a half up,French Braid, Topsy tail, barrette, or ponytail.
I'm retired so I wear it as I like....any day.....any occasion :p
Usually the weather determines the style for the day.

7thOfTheDamned
October 19th, 2016, 03:49 PM
If I leave my house, it's in some kind of bun. I usually just do basic cinnamon buns with a Ficcare or Flexi. I never have my hair down outside of our bedroom or the shower - I haven't since I hit TBL.

Katrina
October 19th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Always bunned. My hair tangles very quickly and easily and I don't like to wear it down because of that.

gthlvrmx
October 19th, 2016, 06:07 PM
I usually have my hair in a bun either held by itself in a nautilus, or with a hairstick. Sometimes I use a spin pin instead when I don't want to use a hairstick. I have worn my hair down to class a few times, but I usually put it up in a bun after a while because I don't want mechanical damage.

matentur
October 19th, 2016, 06:38 PM
On a good hair day i'll wear it down, though definitely not down to work. Generally I go back and forth between a ponytail and a bun there. Both are easy and convenient and generally "appropriate" for a longhaired gentleman who needs to be "professional".

triumphator!
October 19th, 2016, 07:44 PM
My hair is up 4 days for every 1 or 2 days it is down.

Stub
October 19th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Most often I do pigtail braids because that keeps the most hair out of my face. Some days buns, some days single English braid, french braid, dutch braid. Yeah braids! Always down for church.

trolleypup
October 19th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Up down hmmm? what was your question? Depends what I am doing, but can be down anytime, or up anytime, except for hiking or trailwork, when it is always up. In the classroom (teaching) sometimes down (my workplace is more interested in whether I can do the job then whether my hair is long), driving or coaching driving usually up, but sometimes down (except for when operating our 120 year old streetcar, where it is down, with the front window open because it floats my hair (willing to pay the tangle price)), in public doing errands or commuting usually up, but not always. Going out...usually down.

EdG
October 19th, 2016, 08:51 PM
In public, I always wear my hair in a bun. Wearing hair down is only for home.
Ed

cailinbee
October 19th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I go back and forth between hair down and hair up in a twist. I've been wearing it down a lot lately but I think I'm going to swing back toward an everyday twist with a flexi 8 soon.

Frankenstein
October 19th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Usually down since I'm still insecure about how I look with my hair up. Lately I've been wearing braids more when I go out.

Tosca
October 19th, 2016, 10:59 PM
In a bun, or a fake crown braid if I plaited it that morning. I only have my hair out at home when it is cold, or for special occasions.

Flipgirl24
October 20th, 2016, 06:43 AM
I prefer wearing my hair down -I have a round face with football cheeks so having my hair up accentuates this. I have to wear it back for work so usually it's in a ponytail or a half- ponytail (when you don't pull the tail through all the way) or a jaw clip. I prefer the latter as it seems it would incur less damage but I always break them.

JaneHathaway
October 20th, 2016, 07:25 AM
In the best lazy wrap bun or twist I can manage as I grow out layers and overall length. I'm working on French and Dutch braids for another option.

I've read that some folks find buns and twists too severe. Other than face-framing bangs, which I intend to keep, I don't worry about it. I had resting bitch face even as a child and no hairstyle is going to magically change that.

Here's an emoji to show the inner me: :laugh:

See, I'm approachable. No, really.

Todd
October 20th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I wish I could wear it down all the time but if I as much as walk outside for a minute it tangles badly. So as a minimum its in a ponytail.

Lize
October 20th, 2016, 09:26 AM
I usually wear it up in some type of bun out of the house. At this length with layers I can only do a cinnabun, so that's what I usually wear. I expect that the next one that I will be able to wear is the lazy wrap bun. I work in a hospital so I have to wear my hair up, at least when I am around patients. Sometimes I will wear it down a bit when I am in my room charting. In general I mostly wear it down indoors and up outdoors for protection. It's very often windy were I live.

sarahthegemini
October 20th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Cinnabun secured with a 2-pronged fork. Every day. Should I experiment? Probably. But I can never be bothered and I know this holds well. I don't work though so I don't need to worry about looking formal or whatnot. Plus my hair by nature is quite messy so ill often have bits sticking out :p

Platzhalter
October 21st, 2016, 03:40 AM
In a ponytail... some people may say that's the worst things I could do, but a bun in public makes me feel weird in an uncomfortable way.

Arete
October 21st, 2016, 08:36 AM
I wear my hair as I feel like it. I'm not here to decorate people's worlds, as is often said here. Down, braided, bunned, fauxhawk, mismatched double buns....I have fun with my hair and enjoy it, and that's what matters and why I have long hair in the first place.

Ellethwyn
October 21st, 2016, 08:59 AM
When I'm out in public i wear it down, loose or in some kind of side braid. I've been trying to wear it in a side braid more because I'm tired of my hair getting caught on things. I wear my hair in a bun when I'm at home doing chores, cooking, and gardening.

kidari
October 21st, 2016, 01:03 PM
in a messy topknot bun or down with loose waves

Thoughtcriminal
October 21st, 2016, 03:10 PM
At work, usually a cinnabun. Whatever I do for work I keep in to exercise (I work in a gym so I either work out during or right after work), for class or anywhere else I'll leave it down or do something a little nicer like a more complex bun or a Torrin style if I have the time.

Gragraeos
October 21st, 2016, 03:34 PM
Since joining LHC it is up most of the time. Before that, I used to do lots of ponytails or just leaving them down.

Hairkay
October 21st, 2016, 05:49 PM
I mostly wear braids/plaits which I tuck up into updos most of the week. If I put my hair in one style it will stay the same at home and in public. What I don't wear in public is my satin bonnet which is for bed time. I do have occasional days where I let my hair out but it's best to plait/braid it up for bet at least on those nights. That way I don't have to deal with massive tangling.