PDA

View Full Version : Traction Alopecia. ballerina and my own edges!!! O.O

yahirwaO.o
October 18th, 2016, 09:14 PM
So I was wearing my hair almost daily in a finger comb still somewhat neat top knot high bun everyday (watch my siggy) for almost 2 weeks in a row because I've been pretty active yet lazy to wash or brush my hair... My scalp doesnt hurt as bad as it used to, but now my front part edges feel funny in that area....

Anyways, I found this article and notice how bad can be wearing a super tight bun! http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/news/a40540/ballerina-traction-alopecia-hair-loss/

.... how do girls from my guy vision can handle such pain when putin their in a tight pony and let this happen! :pumpkin: Do athlests and dancers bear with it?

I dont know if backlashing tight buns in recital or balllet evens would be nice, but I think having other options for these girls and women would be nice right? Also this thing becoming now maintream kinda helps to others that probably have a rather stress hairline and avoiding hair transplants.

mz_butterfly
October 18th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Personally, when I have a bun and it hurts, I re-do it. I have never worn my hair in an uncomfortable style, even before finding LHC.

I think a lot of folks who are in sports, acting or high maintenance jobs simply deal with the pain because it's expected of them to look a certain way.

I don't care how bad my hair looks, I refuse to have a bun that hurts.

Simsy
October 18th, 2016, 11:02 PM
A lot of them get so used to the tightness that they don't feel it anymore. Bring super tight means the little hairs at the front aren't carrying the load as much, and the whole style sits a bit better. Also, if your sweet spot is right where the tight pony/bun sits, then you would probably find it really comfortable and stable.

I used to do something similar with a pony when I was in high school, and I rarely got any pain. If I loosened it at all, it tend to sag and start pulling on the little hairs at the front; that is unbelievably painful, especially if you can't fix it right away.

Cg
October 19th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Yes, athletes do get used to pain regardless of where, and yes, we continued to use tight ballerina buns because it would be distracting to have to think about hair when you're focused on performance.

M.McDonough
October 19th, 2016, 10:35 AM
A messy bun would be fine, but of course you must never wear your hair in a tight bun or a high ponytail. If you're new to wearing such styles, you'll have a headache at first which is an indication that roots are not loose and therefore you're not comfortable.

Anje
October 19th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I'm echoing the suggestion that if a style is uncomfortable, it's time to take it down and redo it. Don't power through follicular pain.

If you're finding a style uncomfortable repeatedly, one thing to look at is how you're securing it. I find styles are much more comfortable secured with hairsticks, forks, and LONG pins (preferably stiff and U-shaped, not bobby pins). Elastics seem to force all the load of supporting the hair on the hairs at the edges of your face, whereas these other securements tend to distribute the load more evenly and keep it away from those relatively fragile edge hairs. Buns can be snug -- I typically find overly loose styles aren't as well-supported and are more likely to pull hairs.

If you want the smooth, snug, slicked-back look of ballerina-style buns, I suggest you brush the hair into place, and use some product to hold it. Tighter buns won't stop most of the short hairs from sproinging out every whichway, but a little bit of gel or pomade around the edges sure will.

yahirwaO.o
October 19th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I like both messy and neat bun styles however I have yet to find a nice method that will hold my hair without an elastic or a pony base since my hair is the king of sliperiness even if it has products like gel, hairspray, dry shampoo or textued braid waves, still struggle to keep it up without faling every 15 minutes! What really works for me, and its kinda counteractive, is dirty oily hair which stays nicely but the down side is drandruff and smelly scalp!!!

... Lucky me I can wear my hair down without being umpractical or annoying and give it a nice rest!!!!!! :magic:

I think If I was a very active atlhete or sports person, either would go for something that can be french-dutch braided or cuting it short-bald because the weight and my tender scalp wouldnt handle the whole tension going on.

And proper ballerina buns are friightning to me. I mean too much product and too much pins in repeted occasions must damage the hair and scalp so bad!!!!

Anje
October 19th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Length will help you get more stable, secure buns, eventually. Your hair looks pretty thick, which makes securing everything harder. My hair is slipperiest when it's clean, too. For now, don't be afraid of the ponytail base, but don't let the elastic be the only thing holding your hair.

yahirwaO.o
October 19th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Anje thanks I often feel guilty about the pony base but for now its the only way to keep things in. I've tried double buns with u pins and those seem to work but it takes me more than 5 minutes and if something takes that long I prefer to just let it down or a nice down style!... not gonna lie if im able with longer lenght and a hairstick to replicate the time of my messy elastic bun and pins which is less than a minute Id switch completly to it!

EdG
October 20th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I too think that more length will help, especially with thick hair like yours. You could then make a very comfortable Nautilus bun that holds with only a hair stick.
Ed