PDA

View Full Version : A list of the various methods and techniques for making hair shiny?

DarleneH
October 18th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Does this exist somewhere? I know different people will make use of different methods. For example, someone with shorter hair can probably use a bit harsher shine method because their hair is less fragile than longer locks. So I'm hoping for a somewhat comprehensive list so I can study each method and pick what's best for my particular hair. TIA!

spidermom
October 18th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Some say that a vinegar rinse increases shine, but I haven't noticed this. A silicone spray or shine serum definitely increases shine, also oil.

DarleneH
October 18th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I found a list of ideas here: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-smooth-shiny-hair.html/3

But the only one I'm even tempted to try is the gelatin one:

Stir one tablespoon of gelatin in one cup of warm water until it dissolves completely.
Mix in one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of lavender essential oil.
Apply the mixture on your hair and scalp.
Leave it on for 10 minutes.
Rinse it out with lukewarm water.
Follow this remedy once a week.

I actually have some unflavored plain gelatin in my kitchen cabinet right now, so it wouldn't be an extra expense. Have any of you ever used gelatin like that?

Entangled
October 18th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I'' fairly sure gelatin is frequently used as a protein treatment.

animetor7
October 18th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Any sort of cone will increase shine. But I must confess I've never looked much into this because my hair is pretty shiny on its own. Too much so sometimes because it's so slippery it can be difficult to put up. This would also be a risk of using a lot of cones, difficult, slippery hair. :)

summergame
October 18th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I am interested in this too but don't know if I can get shiny hair because I have dark ash blonde/light ash brown hair from my own.

sarahthegemini
October 18th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Well when my hair was damaged, silicone serums worked great as did argan oil and sweet almond oil.

calmyogi
October 18th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Pantene conditioners make my hair really shiny. It's because of all the silicones in them though.

lapushka
October 18th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Does this exist somewhere? I know different people will make use of different methods. For example, someone with shorter hair can probably use a bit harsher shine method because their hair is less fragile than longer locks. So I'm hoping for a somewhat comprehensive list so I can study each method and pick what's best for my particular hair. TIA!

It also, honestly, depends on your hair type. 1 hair is far more shiny than 2, or 3, or 4 hair is. Yes, you can use oil or a silicone serum, but only so much. So, what is your hair type?

LadyCelestina
October 18th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Ok so I posted this in another thread, but glitter. It's really effective as it actually gives something reflective on the hair surface and doesn't require your hair to be in top condition or anything. It's also in many commercial conditioners, like L'Oreal or Garnier. You could add some eyeshadow to a hairproduct you like. It's not noticeable as long as you stick to small shimmery particles.

Upside Down
October 18th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Glitter is in conditioners? Which ones, can you name a few?

How anout diy option, what would you use? Body glitter? Eyeshadow or something third? As a leave in product or in a conditioner?

Wouldn't it get rinsed out if in a conditioner?

Can you tell I am intrigued :eyebrows:

PixieP
October 18th, 2016, 02:51 PM
ACV rinse really helped me get shine! But it's always individual.

Flipgirl24
October 18th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Rinsing in cold water. I don't know if that is a crock but I do it. Supposedly it closes the cuticle but not sure if the cuticle opens or closes. I get hot after a shower even though the water during the shower isn't that hot. So it's nice to have a shot of cold at the end.

Llama
October 18th, 2016, 06:17 PM
A little argan oil on dry hair makes my hair really shiny.

LadyCelestina
October 19th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Glitter is in conditioners? Which ones, can you name a few?
Garnier Damage Control/repair in orange bottle has very fine glitter. L'Oreal Extraordinary oil and Nutri-Gloss and Nutri-Gloss Crystal. Do you have DM in Serbia? Then Balea conditiner for Brown hair....Syoss Keratin Perfection...

How anout diy option, what would you use? Body glitter? Eyeshadow or something third? As a leave in product or in a conditioner?
I have used eyshadow/ pigment in a pot (Essence sells them if you have dm) and applied it as it is by spreading some in my palms and running them through my hair, and mixed with oil. It can be used in a rinse-out conditioner as the glitter sticks really well to hair.

Wouldn't it get rinsed out if in a conditioner?
:D See above.
Can you tell I am intrigued :eyebrows:
Yeah it's a nice trick/cheatcode for hair :D

characters this thing wont post otherwise

Mimha
October 19th, 2016, 05:18 AM
And what about non-do things to get the same result ? Like no harsh shampoo ? No harsh brushing ? No daily washing ? No heat ? No chemical dye ? No junk food ? No added sugar ? No useless handling or products whatsoever ?... Oh and no stress, of course ? OK, this last thing is more difficult to achieve because it's not necessarily in our hands.

And I know : I always sound like a Nein-Sager. But it works !! :D

Frankenstein
October 19th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Clarifying makes my hair shinier than anything else.

missrandie
October 19th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Clarifying makes my hair shinier than anything else.

I second this! Lol

And Mimha, your suggestions are not naysaying, just healthy habit forming :)

OhSuzi
October 19th, 2016, 06:19 AM
I've heard / tried rinsing with cold water at the end of a wash too - and also using the cold setting on the dryer & and combing & drying the hair in one direction.
for same reasons as flipgirl mentioned, cold water is supposed to close the hair cuticles so they'll all lie flat and smooth
same with the drying, hot air is more likely to open cuticles, cold air closes them & brushing / drying in the one direction ie down wards / out wards keeps everything smooth & doesn't ruck them up.

I find if I want really shiny hair, i wash & end with cold water, put a very small amount of hair straightening heat protecty serum on, dry it cold.
Then just to contradict everything I've just said, use the hair straighteners on it, but i'd only run them through very a quick - too much time & you will frazzle the ends & ruin your hair pretty quick. I'd only straighten if it was an important night out / posh do type affair.

Or I'd go to the hair dressers for a wash & blow dry I don't know what they do & perhaps overall they're doing something damaging, but my hair has never looked shinier than when I have been to the hair dressers.

ETA:
Also if it was a night out / Im going for shiny hair. Id take my time with the drying - not sort of flap the hair dryer all over & that will do, proper clip my hair up out the way & dry section by section.

DarleneH
October 19th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Ok so I posted this in another thread, but glitter. It's really effective as it actually gives something reflective on the hair surface and doesn't require your hair to be in top condition or anything. It's also in many commercial conditioners, like L'Oreal or Garnier. You could add some eyeshadow to a hairproduct you like. It's not noticeable as long as you stick to small shimmery particles.

I saw something in Walgreens yesterday that looked like a shimmer-infused spray. I didn't get it because I figured I'd find it cheaper at Wal-Mart, but they didn't have it and I don't remember the exact name because I was counting on remembering what it looked like when I saw it again. I'll swing through Walgreens again, note the name, and mention it here.

I did pick this up while in Wal-Mart, and the reviews look promising:
https://www.amazon.com/OGX-Weightless-Healing-Biotin-Collagen/dp/B00HVKAUTS

I may try your DIY option of adding eyeshadow pigments to this. Thanks, y'all!

betterhairday
October 19th, 2016, 07:07 AM
I've been using Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil as a leave in treatment applied to damp hair before drying & heat styling and it certainly makes my hair shine, acts as a heat protectant as well but I think I'm going to try the Karmin Heat Protection & Shining Spray also applied to damp hair prior to heat styling, maybe alternate to see which I prefer.

DarleneH
October 19th, 2016, 07:37 AM
OK, since just a few minutes ago when I posted above about the OGX oil mist, I've applied itand I love it!!! Instant noticeable shine boost, and it doesn't seem to be weighing down much at all. It's mostly cyclotetrasiloxane (not sure I got that right because the writing is so tiny it's hard to see) so maybe that's more lightweight than oils.

vampyyri
October 19th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I personally use the Garnier Sleek and Shine Glossing Spray when I want to cheat having my hair be more glossy!

Entangled
October 19th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Honestly, the only thing that makes my hair look shiny is when it has uniform texture (brainwaves, curled) and a flash. My hair tends to absorb more than reflect light--I put it down to texture and color.

mermaid lullaby
October 19th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Give mineral oil a try ;)

DarleneH
October 19th, 2016, 06:33 PM
This is the shimmer mist I saw at Walgreens:

https://www.amazon.com/OGX-QNCHD-SEA-MNRL-WGTL/dp/B00IT0YQV2

Mrstran
October 19th, 2016, 07:11 PM
I heard a boar bristle brush can take your natural oils from your roots and bring the oils down the length of your hair to create more shine. I picked one up a week ago and am in love with it already. Also, Today I bought some avocado oil which works wonders for me as well. I only had to use a very small amount, so a little bit goes a long way.