PDA

View Full Version : Do You Include Fringe/Bangs Diameter in Hair Thickness?

kittengirl
October 16th, 2016, 08:38 PM
I was wondering, for those who have a short fringe in front, do you measure that separately and add that amount to your pony diameter or just go by the pony? My pony diameter is about 3.5 ", if I add my fringe and "fuzz halo" to that I get about another .5" So should I just take the pony and call it ii, or should I add it and call it iii? I think I have ii/iii on my profile now so maybe that works. I used to be a just over 4" but illness and meds took away a good bit. Now it's growing back some but hard to measure fuzz :p I'm curious to know what others with fringe/fuzz do!

vampyyri
October 16th, 2016, 08:46 PM
I don't, but I have measured it before. My length is about 4", with my bangs included it adds an extra .5".

school of fish
October 16th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I've never included my face-frame in my pony measurement before - truth told it never even occured to me to do it! :P

I'm going to guess that it might add maybe 1/4-1/2" to my current 3-1/4" pony thickness, so I'd still be in the same ii classification :) Maybe I should measure my face-frame - now I'm kind of curious ;)

In your case it would feel logical to me to go with ii/iii if your combined fringe/pony measurement is around 4" - that's probably what I'd do if it were me :)

kittengirl
October 16th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Ok I think I will keep it at ii/iii then. I miss it being thicker but am just glad it finally stopped falling out in clumps.

Groovy Granny
October 16th, 2016, 09:51 PM
When I was growing mine out, I only counted it when it was contained securely in the ponytail I was measuring.

animetor7
October 16th, 2016, 10:22 PM
I think it depends on if you're trying to measure the entirety of your natural thickness or your "functional" thickness as it were. :)

hayheadsbird
October 17th, 2016, 02:50 AM
I think it depends on if you're trying to measure the entirety of your natural thickness or your "functional" thickness as it were. :)

This ^^
For me it would be functional thickness, as that's what I'm dealing with, my fringe/face framing layers have grown and can now fit in my pony since I last measured though. I was 11cm then (so into iii anyway)

lapushka
October 17th, 2016, 05:34 AM
I think you can count it, yes. Just make a ponytail on the top of the forehead instead of in the back, and if you can manage to squeeze them in, measure it. All the hair counts!

Nique1202
October 17th, 2016, 05:50 AM
I think you can count it, yes. Just make a ponytail on the top of the forehead instead of in the back, and if you can manage to squeeze them in, measure it. All the hair counts!

Yes, this. If you have two circles with a circumference of 2 inches each, if you smush them together you won't get a circumference of 4 inches, so just plain adding won't work even if it's only a tiny second ponytail. You have to make a single ponytail way up on top of your head to measure all your hair with your fringe included.

Also, don't confuse diameter (the length across the widest part of the circle) for circumference (the length around the outside of the circle) since it's the circumference that we count here for hair thickness. If that's what you meant all along, no worries, but it's better to be specific so nobody gets confused.

MidnightMoon
October 17th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Yes, this. If you have two circles with a circumference of 2 inches each, if you smush them together you won't get a circumference of 4 inches, so just plain adding won't work even if it's only a tiny second ponytail. You have to make a single ponytail way up on top of your head to measure all your hair with your fringe included.

Also, don't confuse diameter (the length across the widest part of the circle) for circumference (the length around the outside of the circle) since it's the circumference that we count here for hair thickness. If that's what you meant all along, no worries, but it's better to be specific so nobody gets confused.

Same thing I thought :)
+ a 3.5''pony diameter would be sick hahah

Kajzh
October 17th, 2016, 06:45 AM
I don't. My bangs are very bulky 2" deep into my scalp, and also include my left sideburn and temple. But even when I exclude all that hair, my ponytail circumference is still 11". So yeah ....

kittengirl
October 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Oh that's a good point. Since to measure for a hairtoy you would only want the functional amount.

Oh gosh, yeah, I meant circumference. Sorry about the confusion! :o

I don't. My bangs are very bulky — 2" deep into my scalp, and also include my left sideburn and temple. But even when I exclude all that hair, my ponytail circumference is still 11". So yeah ....

WOW that is such a nice thick pony!!

kittengirl
October 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the input!! I suppose I could bump it back to ii or I may leave it as as attempt at optimism :p

Lanalavallama
October 17th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Hmm, I'd never have thought a fringe would make much of a difference.

meteor
October 17th, 2016, 10:30 AM
If your bangs are too short to be added into the ponytail to measure the circumference with a string or a measuring tape, then you can measure the two circumferences (for bangs and main length) separately and then use this formula to get the total:

total circumference = square root of ( (circumference 1)^2 + (circumference 2)^2 )

(The reason the 2 circumferences can't be simply added together is because the circumference is just Pi * Diameter so adding the circumferences is the same as adding the diameters and if you simply add them together, you can see that you could fit a lot more hair inside that one larger circle (where Diameter = diameter 1 + diameter 2) than inside 2 separate smaller circles put together.)

Of course, if measuring circumference can be already tricky, and if you measure 2 circumferences separately, there might be an even bigger chance of getting the measurements a bit off (e.g. if some hair is overlapped or if it's just hard to compact all that hair in a way that gives always the same, repeatable tape measurement)...

kittengirl
October 17th, 2016, 11:02 AM
If your bangs are too short to be added into the ponytail to measure the circumference with a string or a measuring tape, then you can measure the two circumferences (for bangs and main length) separately and then use this formula to get the total:

total circumference = square root of ( (circumference 1)^2 + (circumference 2)^2 )

(The reason the 2 circumferences can't be simply added together is because the circumference is just Pi * Diameter so adding the circumferences is the same as adding the diameters and if you simply add them together, you can see that you could fit a lot more hair inside that one larger circle (where Diameter = diameter 1 + diameter 2) than inside 2 separate smaller circles put together.)

Of course, if measuring circumference can be already tricky, and if you measure 2 circumferences separately, there might be an even bigger chance of getting the measurements a bit off (e.g. if some hair is overlapped or if it's just hard to compact all that hair in a way that gives always the same, repeatable tape measurement)...

Thanks for that info! That's awesome that you were able to figure out that formula; I'm terrible at math!
I suppose I should go by the length only as that's what I need to measure to use hairtoys. I recently gave myself a fringe because I looked like I was going to fly away with my regrowth fuzz (pretty sure I still do) and while it is helping with that, it also made the rest of my hair a tiny bit thinner. Not much, since I had growing out fringe anyway. I'm trying to be happy with what I have, it being thinner than before just reminds me of being sick and on all the meds.

littlestarface
October 17th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I don't include my bangs, just the back bulk of my hair I measure.

Arctic
October 17th, 2016, 02:11 PM
I do, that's how I've understood the instructions: to gather as much of one's hair as possible into the pony. My face frames reach a high pony with no problems, if they wouldn't then I wouldn't measure them.

Larki
October 17th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I am 3.7" without including my bangs and just a hair over 4" with them included in the ponytail.

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2016, 02:34 PM
I am 3.7" without including my bangs and just a hair over 4" with them included in the ponytail.

I cannot imagine that :hmm: wow!!

I am 2" in dry air and a 2.5" in humid air :rollin:

kittengirl
October 17th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I cannot imagine that :hmm: wow!!

I am 2" in dry air and a 2.5" in humid air :rollin:

You sound like me! I get so puffy and frizzy! (Not saying you are frizzy just meaning that my hair also expands in humidity) :)

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2016, 04:00 PM
You sound like me! I get so puffy and frizzy! (Not saying you are frizzy just meaning that my hair also expands in humidity) :)

Glad to have company :)

My poof comes from all my new silver growth from crown to ends that has curl to it in humid weather.

It expands plenty....2x the volume when the length is long; 3x when short lol

People used to ask me if I had gotten a perm :wink:

kittengirl
October 17th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Glad to have company :)

My poof comes from all my new silver growth from crown to ends that has curl to it in humid weather.

It expands plenty....2x the volume when the length is long; 3x when short lol

People used to ask me if I had gotten a perm :wink:

Wow that really sounds like my hair although mine is just regrowth from major hair loss.....I don't know why it's so curly! Sometimes I can slick the front bits into pretty ringlets by my ears but usually it's like an auburn cloud above each ear lol. I call it my "Balrog" hair. (Balrog is a fiery creature from Lord of the Rings, for those who don't know).

spidermom
October 17th, 2016, 10:29 PM
In my mind, it doesn't add to visual thickness so I don't count it.

Groovy Granny
October 18th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Wow that really sounds like my hair although mine is just regrowth from major hair loss.....I don't know why it's so curly! Sometimes I can slick the front bits into pretty ringlets by my ears but usually it's like an auburn cloud above each ear lol. I call it my "Balrog" hair. (Balrog is a fiery creature from Lord of the Rings, for those who don't know).

LOL

I use a BBB with a spritz of hairspray to blend those wispies in, if I want a smoother look :wink:
It can get WILD at times :lol:

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 22nd, 2016, 04:41 PM
I dont, though I am sure if i did it wouldn't change much. lol