PDA

View Full Version : Hair snapping when putting a toy in

lora410
October 15th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Seriously no matter how GENTLE or loose I make a bun etc or wjat toy I use I always hear hair snapping.. ehhhh.. please tell me im not alone in my dilemma!!!!

calmyogi
October 15th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I hear a snap or two when detangling my hair. Always happens ever since I have reached my current length.

Shiranshoku
October 15th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I regularly have this with forks or sticks. Not with u-pins or amish pins though. It sound harsh, but I really don't think it's that many hairs so I don't worry about it.

missrandie
October 15th, 2016, 02:53 PM
I always wiggle whatever toy I'm putting in. The gentle wiggle and twirl seems to move the hairs out of the way so I can move the fork/stick through.

lapushka
October 15th, 2016, 03:00 PM
You might be compacting your bun too much due to length, making it too tight, and that's why there's hairs snapping. I had that too whenever I would "force" a bun. Then I waited until my hair was effectively long enough to make a looser bun, and that all was gone. I use a 2-prong Quattro fork (and those tines are thinner than any regular stick), and I no longer have that issue.

CarrotTop
October 15th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I usually hear a couple of hairs snapping if my bun is too tight or if I'm using one of my wooden or bone toys that aren't quite sanded down enough. I too love metal forks and sticks– OverTheHawaiianMoon is my favorite. I have yet to get any snapping with any of their aluminum toys.

sarahthegemini
October 15th, 2016, 04:14 PM
You might be compacting your bun too much due to length, making it too tight, and that's why there's hairs snapping. I had that too whenever I would "force" a bun. Then I waited until my hair was effectively long enough to make a looser bun, and that all was gone. I use a 2-prong Quattro fork (and those tines are thinner than any regular stick), and I no longer have that issue.

I definitely experience the sound/feel of a few hairs snapping if I coil my cinnabun too tightly!

I would suggest making as loose a bun as you can manage and gently wiggling the stick/fork. If you feel too much tension, try wriggling or repositioning the fork a little.

Cg
October 15th, 2016, 04:16 PM
You are not alone! Even a loose bun doesn't eliminate those snaps for me, so I figure it's perhaps the most fragile strands. I don't ever see damaged ends though, so it may not be breakage but something else. Hair trolls cackling?

vampyyri
October 15th, 2016, 04:17 PM
This happens when I make a bun too tight, try loosening it up!

DarkChocolate
October 15th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Always happens when i use hair sticks.

lora410
October 15th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Thanks ladies, I've loosened the buns it didn't do any good, prob just too tight yet . Guess I'll just have to cringe and bare it or lazy wraps for awhile as it's only cinnabun I hear the snaps. Glad to know it is normal.

lora410
October 15th, 2016, 04:29 PM
I usually hear a couple of hairs snapping if my bun is too tight or if I'm using one of my wooden or bone toys that aren't quite sanded down enough. I too love metal forks and sticks– OverTheHawaiianMoon is my favorite. I have yet to get any snapping with any of their aluminum toys.

love OTHM forks. have 2 metal and one wooden one. I'll have to give it a listen next time.

animetor7
October 15th, 2016, 05:10 PM
As others have said, this happens when a bun is too tight for the particular toy you're using. Something that helps me is to hold my tighter buns with claw clips rather than a fork or a stick. Also have you considered a horn fork or stick? I find my horn hair toys slide much more easily through my hair and I only ever have any trouble sliding them into a bun that's very tightly twisted and compacted. Perhaps try claw clips for your cinnabuns for a while, until you have the length to do them more loosely.

lora410
October 15th, 2016, 06:04 PM
As others have said, this happens when a bun is too tight for the particular toy you're using. Something that helps me is to hold my tighter buns with claw clips rather than a fork or a stick. Also have you considered a horn fork or stick? I find my horn hair toys slide much more easily through my hair and I only ever have any trouble sliding them into a bun that's very tightly twisted and compacted. Perhaps try claw clips for your cinnabuns for a while, until you have the length to do them more loosely.

Ive been eyeing up quecraft horn forks; their wood forks are great if you dont mind sanding tips to a point as they are too blunt. I have an acrylic stick coming in from acryliccandyshop. not enough length to really hold without 2 sticks. I'll have to start utilizing my ficcares more or stick with a lazy wrap bun for a bit. Thanks ladies.. grow hair grow!!!!!

spidermom
October 15th, 2016, 06:29 PM
It has happened, but not in a good long while. It seems to be a combination of bun being tight and not having a good technique. Now I kind of wiggle and twist a little bit when I feel resistance as I'm sliding my stick or fork in, and I can't remember the last time I heard a hair snap.

EdG
October 15th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Snapping when putting in hairsticks may be due to tangles. I know that as I eliminated deep tangles, the snapping went away too.
Ed

jfg1987
October 15th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I was just thinking about this today...I tried a looser bun but I still heard a snap :shrug: sometimes if I wiggle it slowly it's fine.

lapushka
October 16th, 2016, 05:17 AM
I was just thinking about this today...I tried a looser bun but I still heard a snap :shrug: sometimes if I wiggle it slowly it's fine.

Normally buns at your length can't be done but tight. It is the way it is. You're ii and shoulder length. You'll learn the definition of loose with length, trust me on that. ;)

Elly May
October 16th, 2016, 05:54 AM
I had this issue on Friday--I was wearing a 3 prong dymondwood and had a snap each time I had to rebun--couldn't get it to stay put. I do not have this issue with my Crockett Mountain or Jeters.

Lize
October 16th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Normally buns at your length can't be done but tight. It is the way it is. You're ii and shoulder length. You'll learn the definition of loose with length, trust me on that. ;)

Yes I agree. I can only make somewhat tight buns at my length. I can't wait to make looser buns again!

DweamGoiL
October 16th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I'm at hip but my hair is very slippy so if I don't bun pretty tightly, whatever toy it is will slide right out of my hair. I just find taking it really slowly and wiggling the toy usually works for me. The only way I can get a toy to stay in my hair with a loose bun is by using a tusk. Other than that, it's not happening!

embee
October 16th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Some toys are not smooth, and there will be snags and snaps.

Groovy Granny
October 16th, 2016, 09:44 AM
I'm at hip but my hair is very slippy so if I don't bun pretty tightly, whatever toy it is will slide right out of my hair. I just find taking it really slowly and wiggling the toy usually works for me. The only way I can get a toy to stay in my hair with a loose bun is by using a tusk. Other than that, it's not happening!
That is my hair and remedy to a *T* :wink:

Some toys are not smooth, and there will be snags and snaps.
I ALWAYS check for that if I hear the snaps....but they are fine lol

I just need try to loosen my bun a bit..... take it slower if I can't.... or re-style it :shrug:

It happens mostly with larger wood forks...never with sticks or forks of other materials (metla/antler)

Frankenstein
October 16th, 2016, 10:14 AM
This happened to me a lot when I first started using sticks. It still does, but not as often.

Deborah
October 16th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Thinner, very smooth sticks help with this. Also, sticks and forks just work better when the hair is longer. For now, to avoid breakage, maybe try some tiny claw clips around the perimeter of your bun. These hold well and comfortably, and won't break any hairs.

Whatever hair toys you use, putting them in slowly and wiggling them, rather than just pushing them, into place will put less stress on your hair.