PDA

View Full Version : Hair vitamins for us that are acne prone

hopefulred
October 14th, 2016, 09:08 PM
I have pcos so when not on the pill i get hormonal acne, i want to take a hair vitamin to encourage increased hair growth and hair health but Iv heard a lot of them can make you break out, are there any that anyone has found effective but that don't make you break out?

calmyogi
October 14th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I think it's the Biotin in them that make you break out. It did me anyways, I started getting huge cystic pimples on my chin area. You could find one with lower biotin content or find out without it like just a good general vitamin. I know biotin is the one touted to help hair growth, but any vitamin if your body is deficient will help you in that department because you need nutrients to grow hair.

EDIT: I was just taking Biotin, thats how I know it was the biotin that broke me out.

vampyyri
October 14th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Biotin paired with folic acid is supposed to counteract those effects... but biotin will only really work if you're deficient in it.

hayheadsbird
October 15th, 2016, 02:16 AM
I think your nursing your baby,yes? Post natal vitamins should have everything you need in it, like biotin etc. I've only just switched in the last six months from pregnancy/post natal victims to regular, but my youngest is hopefully going to stop nursing in the next 6 months or so now he's turned 2. Try asking your health visitor. If you're in Scotland then they will provide vitamin supplements for you and the baby, not sure if England is the same.

I don't have PCOS though, so no idea about breakouts with vitamin supplements.

Nique1202
October 15th, 2016, 05:24 AM
Unless you're specifically deficient in something, a daily multivitamin is all you probably ever need and shouldn't make you break out unless you're allergic to one of the fillers used in a particular brand. You could see a doctor and see if you have any special vitamin supplement needs or just take a multivitamin off the shelf, but taking vitamins JUST for "hair skin and nails" can be dangerous in the long term and should be avoided. Those things have upward of 5000 to 10000 times the amount of vitamin that your body can process in a day in each pill, and they usually tell you to take several pills each day, and that mega dose can cause things like acne flareups all the way to kidney or liver damage in the longer term.

Kajzh
October 15th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Unless you're specifically deficient in something, a daily multivitamin is all you probably ever need and shouldn't make you break out unless you're allergic to one of the fillers used in a particular brand. You could see a doctor and see if you have any special vitamin supplement needs or just take a multivitamin off the shelf, but taking vitamins JUST for "hair skin and nails" can be dangerous in the long term and should be avoided. Those things have upward of 5000 to 10000 times the amount of vitamin that your body can process in a day in each pill, and they usually tell you to take several pills each day, and that mega dose can cause things like acne flareups all the way to kidney or liver damage in the longer term.
Precisely! I'm taking an Alkaseltzer-type daily vitamin right now and quite like it. It only has 100% of the recommended daily value of each nutrient, rather than 1,000%. I just dissolve one tablet in 8oz of water each morning, drink it, and it's all done! I have a skin injury that I'm trying to heal before I go on vacation, so I really hope that consuming more balanced nutrients will help my skin heal the wound quickly.

So far I haven't noticed a difference with my hair, but I've also been keeping it braided 24/7 except for washes, so I'm fairly oblivious to it.

lapushka
October 15th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Precisely! I'm taking an Alkaseltzer-type daily vitamin right now and quite like it. It only has 100% of the recommended daily value of each nutrient, rather than 1,000%. I just dissolve one tablet in 8oz of water each morning, drink it, and it's all done! I have a skin injury that I'm trying to heal before I go on vacation, so I really hope that consuming more balanced nutrients will help my skin heal the wound quickly.

So far I haven't noticed a difference with my hair, but I've also been keeping it braided 24/7 except for washes, so I'm fairly oblivious to it.

Mine are effervescent tablets too. I also dissolve it in about that much water, and it tastes like oranges. It also has 100% of the daily allowed dosage of most important vitamins & minerals, so... good enough for me!

Llama
October 15th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I take Rainbow Light prenatal vitamins and they don't make me breakout.
I get the "petite" ones since they are smaller and easier to swallow.

Larki
October 15th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I take keratin and biotin separately in addition to hair skin & nails combo vitamins - they keep me from getting zits at all, when normally I have several at all times (before I started taking vitamins). YMMV.

CarrotTop
October 15th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I have acne-prone skin and I have taken hair-skin-and-nails vitamins in the past without having a breakout. I was using the Kirkland Signature ones, and I was only taking half the recommended dose. And to be honest, I didn't notice any improvement in hair growth. :shrug: I'd go for a regular multivitamin, like a lot of others have recommended.

Cheniaa
October 15th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Some people take Silica for hair growth and I haven't heard of breakouts with that stuff.

Magalo
October 18th, 2016, 07:15 AM
MSM (sulfur) makes hair & nails grows faster and it makes your skin BETTER! I also have hormonal acne... do not even get close to any vitamins that has biotin in it! lol! Just looking at the pot makes me break out!

hopefulred
October 20th, 2016, 01:49 PM
MSM (sulfur) makes hair & nails grows faster and it makes your skin BETTER! I also have hormonal acne... do not even get close to any vitamins that has biotin in it! lol! Just looking at the pot makes me break out!

Has your skin improved since taking MSM?