PDA

View Full Version : dry shampoo.... yay or nay ??

long and strong
October 14th, 2016, 11:00 AM
With not washing my hair as often, and not "fluffing" it with a blow dryer like I used to, I find myself turning to dry shampoo on day 3 or 4.

Is dry shampoo bad for my hair??

lapushka
October 14th, 2016, 11:05 AM
With not washing my hair as often, and not "fluffing" it with a blow dryer like I used to, I find myself turning to dry shampoo on day 3 or 4.

Is dry shampoo bad for my hair??

No it isn't bad at all. :) Don't worry.

As long as you wash it out properly there is nothing to worry about. You might need to clarify-wash a little more often if you use it a lot, but that's easy enough to do, right? :)

animetor7
October 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I really like dry shampoos for helping to stretch washing. I do find that if I leave them on for too long, then my scalp gets a bit itchy, so I generally save them for the morning of a scalp wash day (I scalp wash in the evening once a week) or the day before a full wash (I do full washes in the morning). But I don't think they're harmful to the scalp or hair, my scalp just gets annoying when it itches. :) And as lapushka said, they can cause build-up, but not more than say CO washing can, it just will eventually all need to be washed out with a clarifying shampoo. :)

czech it out
October 14th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I recently realized that most, if not all, dry shampoos in aerosol cans contain alcohol - and not the moisturizing kind. I stopped using them and now stick only to powders. I'm curious - were you all referring to powdered dry shampoo or do you think that the alcohol denat in canned dry shampoos won't have a drying or detrimental effect long term? Thanks!

animetor7
October 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I recently realized that most, if not all, dry shampoos in aerosol cans contain alcohol - and not the moisturizing kind. I stopped using them and now stick only to powders. I'm curious - were you all referring to powdered dry shampoo or do you think that the alcohol denat in canned dry shampoos won't have a drying or detrimental effect long term? Thanks!

I use both depending on how much time I'm willing to spend waiting for it to work. I use plain corn starch with essential oils when I can leave my dry shampoo in overnight. I use spray can type dry shampoos when I'm in more of a hurry. I figure since it isn't sitting on my hair a long time, it's not doing damage. And I wouldn't worry about the alcohol, it's just in there to make the powder spray uniformly, it evaporates quickly once exposed to the air. The alcohol is not sitting on your scalp for more than 30 seconds to a minute or so.

vampyyri
October 14th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Oh.... it's not bad? That's news to me! :bigeyes: I used to use it often but always wondered... this is awesome to know!

animetor7
October 14th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Oh.... it's not bad? That's news to me! :bigeyes: I used to use it often but always wondered... this is awesome to know!

Nope. The process of evaporation itself can take moisture and oils with it and since alcohol is particularly fast at evaporating when exposed to air, it can enhance this process. So if you were to use an alcohol laden product on your length, or if you have a particularly dry scalp or hair type that could be bad and drying. But, since the point of dry shampoo is to dry out the scalp a bit and take some oils away when there is too much present, it's not harmful. :)

FrayedFire
May 5th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Nay, usually. I don't really care for the way it makes my hair/scalp feel. However, it's really good for creating volume and it's alright if I'm planning to wash soon.

abribun
May 5th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I say nay to dry shampoo! If I really need to stretch another day with greasy hair I'll brush in some cacao powder and corn starch! It sounds weird but it kinds helps to soak up the oils. I think it's much better to use than dry shampoo with all of the alcohol in it!

Aunt Rapunzel
May 5th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Nay for me as well. I steer clear of dry shampoos.

Hairkay
May 6th, 2017, 12:30 AM
They're not for me.

akurah
May 6th, 2017, 12:41 AM
I say nay to dry shampoo! If I really need to stretch another day with greasy hair I'll brush in some cacao powder and corn starch! It sounds weird but it kinds helps to soak up the oils. I think it's much better to use than dry shampoo with all of the alcohol in it!

This is incredibly pedantic since OP is clearly talking about commercial dry shampoos and not homemade, but... technically.... that's a dry shampoo. Just a nice homemade one. :cheese:

Agnieszka
May 6th, 2017, 02:53 AM
I would prefer not to use it but they are necessary for me. Dry shampoo makes my hair appear thicker and keeps my hair in an up-do, otherwise hair would slip out of pony tail if I wouldn't use dry shampoo. I have very thin, slippery hair and not lots of it. I can't imagine living without dry shampoo ;-). I've been doing this for years now on my non processed fragile hair and can report no damage so far, but my hair is just collarbone length.

Kellwise Gamgee
May 7th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Yay for me! I only use it on my temples, really. They get so greasy even on day 2 compared to the rest of my hair... A little Batiste and I'm good to go! I wash every 2-3 days depending on my running schedule!

remlapthide
May 7th, 2017, 07:49 AM
My hair gets very greasy very quickly so i use a mixture of Lush's No Drought Dry shampoo and cocoa powder to help it match my hair colour.

Kellylee
May 7th, 2017, 09:55 AM
I think they are fine in a pinch but if you holding off on washing your hair so it can get you scalp oils it's counter productive. They soak up all your good oils so I just wash instead of using dry shampoo. I find my hair gets very dry and so does my scalp. So overall if you don't have time to wash your hair they are great but beyond that they are useless for me. My hair would much prefer a wash and a good conditioning.

lizardspots
May 7th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Yay for me. I use dry shampoo on my crown on third day hair, just to tide me over til wash day the following morning.

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 7th, 2017, 11:48 AM
It's a yay for me. I have straight across bangs so I need it other wise I would need to wash my hair a lot more than I need to.

Suze
May 7th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Yes, I use it. Commercial dry shampoo like Batiste made my scalp hurt though so I use a diy dry shampoo (cocoa powder with buckwheat powder).

Aredhel
May 7th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Nope, not for me. My scalp is very prone to buildup, so adding dry shampoo to the mix would just make things worse.

SunnyRose
May 7th, 2017, 01:45 PM
I use dry shampoo occasionally, but it makes my scalp itch. I'd rather just wash my hair and have a clean scalp than extend to an extra day. Feel clean and happy.

Siv
May 7th, 2017, 01:53 PM
I use it to stretch washing another day! I was on a twice a week washing schedule but had to shampoo two days in a row because of a henna experiment and my scalp suddenly started producing sebum like crazy after that! I've used it before to slowly go from washing every other day to far less frequently, and that's what I'm doing now as well :)

oatmeal1991
May 7th, 2017, 08:23 PM
My hair is prone to product build up, so I save it only for when my roots start to look oily but I really don't want to shower before bed (my hair takes forever to dry so washing it in the mornings is not an option). I'd say I end up using it maybe once or twice a month.

Horrorpops
May 8th, 2017, 12:57 AM
I've never seen any negative effects from dry shampoo, and based off the ingredients and mechanism of action it doesn't sound bad for your hair.

WavyWannabe
May 8th, 2017, 11:14 AM
I use it too when I'm way too heavy-handed on oil and put it too close to my roots. And it really helped me too while I was stretching washes.
Unless your dry shampoo contains ingredients that are too harsh for your hair, and most don't, I think it couldn't damage it in any way.

Cherriezzzzz
May 8th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Yay. All. The. Way. My favorite hands down is Morrocainoil's. I can use the light or dark colour! I can't even tell I'm wearing it. No itch, no weird smells... I've tried everything at Wal-Mart, no dice there! The Morrocainoil is completely different. I'll never try another!

Hay_jules
May 8th, 2017, 02:07 PM
It's a no for me too. I've read a lot of anecdotal stories about people who experienced hair loss from it. They may or may not be true but totallt not worth the risk for me.

Aredhel
May 8th, 2017, 02:27 PM
It's a no for me too. I've read a lot of anecdotal stories about people who experienced hair loss from it. They may or may not be true but totallt not worth the risk for me.

Pretty much my thinking too heh.

Siv
May 8th, 2017, 03:16 PM

Wait, yikes, what? I've never heard that! Tho, I shed a lot when I use stronger ingredients like SLS, so I'm not disbelieving.