PDA

View Full Version : Hair Glossing - What the flip is it and will it help or hinder?

OhSuzi
October 14th, 2016, 03:23 AM
So Hair glossing – does anyone know what it is?
It suggests it’s good for your hair and conditioning and it’ll make it shiny and lovely.
See this article I found that has very little scienceyness and just says, yeah you should totally have this done!

http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/985711/gloss-hair-treatment-what-it-is-why-get-one

Is it totally made up rubbish by the hair industry to make you spend cash on a treatment that doesn’t really do much.
Will it make my hair shiny now, but over time wreck it in the same way hair dying / bleaching might.

I like the idea of a clear gloss that conditions my hair & apparently helps to keep it smooth & get rid of some of the frizzy little fly away bits – but not at the cost of ruining my hair in the long run?

Has any one had this treatment done?
Does anyone know if contains anything like ammonia or loads of 'ates' and 'cones'?

LadyCelestina
October 14th, 2016, 03:29 AM
I once used a product which I think could be similar to these glosses. It was by Taft, and it was basically a semi-permanent dye with very very tiny golden shimmery particles in it. It worked quite well and brightened my natural colour, but the semi-permanent dye is formulated as a shampoo and you have to leave it on for a while so I don't use it often.

OhSuzi
October 14th, 2016, 03:29 AM
Also just discovered glosses last up to 4 - 8 weeks so there must be something in them to make them permanent and then there's a thing called hair glazing that is pretty much the same but only lasts 1-2 weeks? I can't tell if you put it only like a hair dye and leave it then wash it off or if its just some shiny oily stuff in a bottle that you squirt and leave in at the end of your usual hair styling routine?
Has any one tried doing this at home or going to the hairdressers for a glossing / glazing?

LadyCelestina
October 14th, 2016, 03:31 AM
If it's demi permanent that probably means they use some bleach to get the 'colour' to stick.

OhSuzi
October 14th, 2016, 03:32 AM
I like the idea of shimmery sparklyness - so it gave vibrancy to your natural colour? that sounds good.
Just a sparkly shampoo, was there any draw back e.g. did it dry out your hair or make it feel greasy or anything?

ETA:
Ive also read this article it seems you could be right! I think a gloss which is semi-permanent has peroxide or ammonia in it. A glaze adds shine but is less permanent and therefore I assume less damaging?

http://www.instyle.com/news/hair-gloss-vs-hair-glaze-we-learned-difference

LadyCelestina
October 14th, 2016, 03:38 AM
I like the idea of shimmery sparklyness - so it gave vibrancy to your natural colour? that sounds good.
Just a sparkly shampoo, was there any draw back e.g. did it dry out your hair or make it feel greasy or anything?

As far as I remember it didn't leave my hair feeling weird, but I did it quite a while ago. I can pick up some if it's still sold and let you know if you want to.

But honestly any conditioner or shampoo with shimmer will do the same job. You can even add shimmery eyeshadow to your regular s/c if you want to. I like the L'oreal Extraordinary oil conditioner (it sucks otherwise but the golden shimmer looks great on my hair). Also Syoss makes a conditioner called Keratin something which has a nice shimmer.

ETA:
Err well honestly I don't really go to the hairdresser so I'm not 100% sure what is in the glosses they do there. I just think they are more or less just shimmery dyes or perhaps with some pigment to make your hair reflect more light (based on the experience I had with a store-brought gloss). So maybe someone else could chime in who actually had the treatment done at a hairsalon?

OhSuzi
October 14th, 2016, 04:06 AM
Eyeshadow sparkle mixing sounds genius - I am trying this!
Don't buy experimental hair products on my account - but if you can remember what its called I might google it & test it out.

ETA:
Thank you for your input by the way LadyCelestina

LadyCelestina
October 14th, 2016, 04:51 AM
http://www.taft.schwarzkopf.sk/content/dam/taft/sk/sk/products_CC_220x320/dwt_CC_ShineRelaunch_7dayBooster_220x320_SK.jpg

this is the product, it costs about 1,50e which is I think about 2 dollars. But I only get results from a couple countries when I google it so it might not be available everywhere. But maybe a similar product could be?

Here is a b&a from some polish blog ETA i'm not sure if it's a b&a or not as it only says 'effect after drying' http://thebeautyguardian.blogspot.sk/2015/05/2-niedziela-dla-wosow_24.html

and also another one which I think might be a pic taken with different lighting as there is quite a lot of extra colour. It didn't stain this much. Perhaps the person used more of it? http://madamlaiton.blogspot.sk/2014/01/taft-7-day-shine-booster.html

ETA:
No problem :) I hope you can come up with something that will work for you.

Larki
October 14th, 2016, 10:57 AM
The ingredients in a few popular glosses:

Water, Propylene Carbonate, Alcohol Denat., Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Mica, Sodium Hydroxide, Dimethiconol, Titanium Dioxide, Malic Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ext. Violet 2

Water, Hexylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Ethanolamine, Soytrimonium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Fragrance, Ethoxydiglycol, Oleth-5, C11-15 Pareth-9, Oleth-2, Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Jojoba Seed Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Dilinoleic Acid, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Oleic Acid, Erythorbic Acid, Sodium Sulfite, Oleamide MIPA, C12-15 Pareth-3, Oleth-10, Panthenol, EDTA.

dansyl
October 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I have used red glosses to keep my hair red longer... they do work... but I felt they were too heavy for my hair.

long and strong
October 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Eye shadow in hair products??!! I think my mind has been blown!!

Have you actually tried this???

To be fair I've not even come across sparkly conditioner before!!

I wonder if mixing a bit in with a post wash oil/serum would work??

I've got a couple of old eye shadows that I don't use anymore that might be good

...... Oh the posibilities!!!!

LadyCelestina
October 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Eye shadow in hair products??!! I think my mind has been blown!!

Have you actually tried this???

To be fair I've not even come across sparkly conditioner before!!

I wonder if mixing a bit in with a post wash oil/serum would work??

I've got a couple of old eye shadows that I don't use anymore that might be good

...... Oh the posibilities!!!!

No I haven't done it with conditioner yet, but I applied sparkly eyeshadow/pigment to my hair before. I think I also used some oil for it to stick better, not sure. I did it with silver and neutral pink. It's like highlighter you would use for face, only for hair.

I guess you could use whatever colour you'd like, as long as it's mostly shimmer and not a whole lot of colour (the eyeshadow should probably consist mostly of shimmery particles, not pigment with some shimmery particles, I don't know how to explain it better) :D

It's funny since sparkly conditioners are everywhere where I live. I honestly think that nearly all brands of conditioner that you can get here have a shimmery product.

The downside is that some of the glitter gets rubbed off your hair on your skin. That's why it's preferable that the particles are fine.

Larki
October 14th, 2016, 02:16 PM
You can also just buy clear mica powder (or gold, brown, red, etc) and mix it in the conditioner or into oil, I suppose.

BookishRay
October 14th, 2016, 09:24 PM
*snip*

The downside is that some of the glitter gets rubbed off your hair on your skin. That's why it's preferable that the particles are fine.

That sounds like it could be quite irritating to some skin types. I've always had problems wearing shimmery eye shadows because it felt like small pins poking my eye lids by the end of the day. Don't wanna think how it would feel on the back of my neck if it rubbed out of my hair...

LadyCelestina
October 15th, 2016, 01:52 AM
That sounds like it could be quite irritating to some skin types. I've always had problems wearing shimmery eye shadows because it felt like small pins poking my eye lids by the end of the day. Don't wanna think how it would feel on the back of my neck if it rubbed out of my hair...

Never had this problem, but thanks for pointing it out!

Perhaps it also depends how big the glitter is? I mean these look painful to have in the eye https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-QdPmsDkK1Y/maxresdefault.jpg and it would be quite noticeable that you have glitter in your hair. But this is quite enough http://images.beautyandmakeupmatters.com/2013/03/Inglot-Freedom-System-Eye-Shadow-402-Pearl-Swatch.jpg and I think many people use a product like this :)

ETA : Anyway I feel you - having sensitive eyes sucks :( don't have a problem with eyeshadow, but eyeliner, mascara, makeup removers, whatever skincare I apply to my face, wind, sun :wail:... life is pain