PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss after giving birth

Lisa-K
October 14th, 2016, 03:03 AM
I gave birth 3 months ago and started losing so much hair in the past 6 weeks, I just want to cry. My overall head of hair looks fine, no bald spots or anything. But I can tell my braid is not quite as thick as it was several months ago. Is there anything I can do about this? I keep hoping less hair will fall out at the next wash, but I'm always disappointed when I brush it, as I don't seem to notice a significant improvement yet. *sigh* I'm not quite sure if it's hormonal or vitamin-related.

lapushka
October 14th, 2016, 03:29 AM
No, it's called post-partum shed and every mom goes through it. It will have to stop automatically, but in the mean time it is always a good thing to keep your eye on potential deficiencies. Have your doctor run some bloodwork if you are truly concerned, but I wouldn't be. It's *perfectly* normal, and no... there is nothing you can do about it.

hayheadsbird
October 14th, 2016, 04:07 AM
I think it's to do with hormones. Basically you didn't lose as much while pregnant, so now the extra hair you hung on to the last nine months is shedding. (I could be wrong, I'm not 100% sure about the science!)
It's really common though, big hugs and congratulations on the new baby 👶

Kake
October 14th, 2016, 05:09 AM
I don't think there is anything you can do about it. :(

I think some women get it worse than others, I lost loads.

long and strong
October 14th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Nothing you can do I'm affraid. And its completely normal.

Just make sure your diet is good and your drinking plenty of water so your body is getting the nutrients it needs (especially if your breast feeding).

My girl has just turned 1 and I lost a lot of hair after her birth... so much so I had bald spots on my temples. My hair has now started to grow back, I now have short hair all around my hairline from regrowth, it looks quite funny but it's comforting that it is growing back.

Just hold on in there, it'll get better.

Anje
October 14th, 2016, 07:18 AM
It's discouraging but absolutely normal. Just stay healthy, take care of yourself and your little one, and try not to stress about it. You'll probably lose a lot, and then it'll start coming back in.

Lisa-K
October 14th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. But thanks for all your feedback! It sucks because they are strands of beautiful LONG hair, so obviously it will take years for that kind of length to make a comeback, even if the hair follicles do produce new growth right away. Boohoo! With at least one more future baby in our plans, I suppose I will have my full head of gorgeous long hair right around my 50th birthday lol (and then menopause will kick in and ruin it for good)

Upside Down
October 14th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Lisa, you are not alone. I went through a big pp shed too. I like my hair now but it is way thinner and it isn't easy.

Bangs helped to cover up the poof of new griwth around the temple (which was hilarious).

Cg
October 14th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. But thanks for all your feedback! It sucks because they are strands of beautiful LONG hair, so obviously it will take years for that kind of length to make a comeback, even if the hair follicles do produce new growth right away. Boohoo! With at least one more future baby in our plans, I suppose I will have my full head of gorgeous long hair right around my 50th birthday lol (and then menopause will kick in and ruin it for good)

Nope, menopause will not necessarily ruin anything.

And btw, every pregnancy is different so you might not shed as much the next time. See? Hope before you turn 50.

Kake
October 14th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Nope, menopause will not necessarily ruin anything.

Thank you so much for saying that, says this late 40's poster.

lapushka
October 14th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Thank you so much for saying that, says this late 40's poster.

44 here and still iii hair, just like... always. Menopause hasn't hit yet, but it might be here sooner rather than later. My mom's hair thinned due to pregnancy, then later due to menopause. I was never pregnant, but menopause has to happen sometime. So... I don't know how it's gonna go. :shrug: We'll just have to see, I guess. :)

Lisa-K
October 14th, 2016, 12:55 PM
My mom's hair got pretty miserable in her mid-50's, so I always assumed I was doomed as well lol We'll see! I definitely didn't lose any hair after my first baby. That's why I'm surprised it's happening with this one.

pastina
October 14th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I didn't have a shed with my first child, but I had a major one after I weaned my second child when he was around 16 months old. He's two now, and I have loads of obvious regrowth, so it's more than just what should have shed during my pregnancy. I second UpsideDown's suggestion to get bangs... it does help mask the "halo" you'll get.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but congrats on the new little one!! Big hugs!!

Deborah
October 14th, 2016, 03:34 PM
I'm 63 and don't notice any thinning. Don't worry about it. I think most women keep most of their hair.

Shiranshoku
October 14th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy getting to know your baby :-)

As per the hair: leave it up as often as possible so you don't have to think about it. It'll grow back before you know it!

My mom is 51 and went through menopause 6-7 years ago (due to cervical cancer). Her hairline has gone up just a bit, but she still has luscious long locks, and quite thick too. It's waist length and sprinkled with silvers and basically gorgeous. I wish more women her age would wear their hair long!

calmyogi
October 14th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I remember waking up to my pillow being covered in hairs after my daughter was about 4 months old. I had a pixie cut at the time though so it wasn't as traumatizing for me. If I ever have anymore kids my hair will probably be a lot longer and it will be another experience I'm sure.

calmyogi
October 14th, 2016, 08:24 PM
44 here and still iii hair, just like... always. Menopause hasn't hit yet, but it might be here sooner rather than later. My mom's hair thinned due to pregnancy, then later due to menopause. I was never pregnant, but menopause has to happen sometime. So... I don't know how it's gonna go. :shrug: We'll just have to see, I guess. :)

Im always envious of women who have ultra thick hair because when menopause happens they have plenty to spare. My hair is just average so I fear it will become thin as I age :(

My moms hair thinned out quite a bit before she passed away, but it could of also been the fact that she had done a couple rounds of chemo. I never paid attention before that as to how much it thinned after menopause.

x3leesa
October 14th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I gave birth 3 months ago and started losing so much hair in the past 6 weeks, I just want to cry. My overall head of hair looks fine, no bald spots or anything. But I can tell my braid is not quite as thick as it was several months ago. Is there anything I can do about this? I keep hoping less hair will fall out at the next wash, but I'm always disappointed when I brush it, as I don't seem to notice a significant improvement yet. *sigh* I'm not quite sure if it's hormonal or vitamin-related.

I know how scary it can be when you're shedding hair like that :( :grouphug: Hang in there, and definitely let your doctor know! If it turns out it's not within the normal range you'd definitely want to do something about it sooner than later!!! :heart:

Sarahlabyrinth
October 14th, 2016, 09:53 PM
I don't remember losing hair after the birth of my baby, but I wasn't taking notice of my hair then, it was pre-LHC days. I am coming up to the age of 52 and no hair thinning so far - fingers crossed. My mother is 92 and still has reasonably thick hair, ie: it's not easy to see her scalp.