PDA

View Full Version : Messy buns?

LadyCelestina
October 13th, 2016, 02:22 PM
How do you personally do a messy bun (if you wear them that is)?

My messy bun is a variation on nautilus or something close to a celtic knot. I just wrap my hair around over my head, then wrap it around and pull the ends through the loop around my hand.

Most of the messy buns on youtube don't work for me because they require an elastic and my hair is heavy.

By messy I mean buns with little pieces deliberately hanging out or without a visible structure, not hair in a neat bun that has frizzed up a bit- just to clarify :)

missrandie
October 13th, 2016, 02:30 PM
All my buns are messy :p

Mostly because my hair is still too short to stay tucked, so the ends are always poking out. I just pretend I mean for them to be messy :)

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 02:38 PM
I have layers. Mostly my hair stays in its LWB fine, but sometimes a layer pokes out (a strand, or two) - it's not exactly that messy, but messy enough for me. :)

school of fish
October 13th, 2016, 02:41 PM
All my buns are messy by default too, it's just the way my hair is ;) I've given up on the sleek and structured bun look - it's too big a fight so embracing the messy has kept me from fighting a losing battle :p

Usually I do a nautilus secured with a short hairstick (can barely see the hairstick) and the pieces just slip out on their own. My hair is sliptastic!

Cherrys
October 13th, 2016, 10:26 PM
I grab my hair into a ponytail and put the elastic in, twist the elastic (as if I were going to tighten it around the ponytail) but only pull the hair halfway through, leaving a large loop of hair (which used to be small enough to leave as is, with longer hair it's just too big) which I then wrap the elastic around... it's actually a terrible way to put my hair up because it puts tension on the scalp and is hard to het out. Usually only do it if I'm at the gym without my trusty hair fork.

animetor7
October 13th, 2016, 11:25 PM
I used to do these more before I hit waist. I'd make a ponytail, wrap the elastic around once, make a loop on the second wrap (catching maybe the top 1/4 or so of my hair), then wrap the wrest of the hair around like a cinnabun and slid the third twist of the hair tie over this. I used very stretched out or large hair ties for this. Then I'd pull at the bun and scalp hair pinning pieces down as I saw fit until I was happy with how it looked. I don't do it so much anymore because at hip my hair is just too heavy for it to be comfortable!!! I do still pull a bit at my scalp hair to make it a bit puffier and looser even with neater buns, and I pull my wispies out around my face to give a softer look. I don't like the fully neat/slicked back look on me. It doesn't fit with the rest of my aesthetic which is more casual.

missblueeyes
October 14th, 2016, 03:02 PM
I wear them quite frequently, actually. I dislike very neat buns on myself so most of the time I wear a mess bun with a hair elastic. I use the same technique that was already mentioned here and it's working out quite well at BSL. I know I had problems doing it like that at waist+ but tbh that's probably because I hardly had any practice on shorter lenghts and didn't use any bobby pins to pin my hair in shape. It fits my aesthetic and makes me comfortable with my hair so it's worth whatever it may cause for me, which is probably not a lot because I use phone cable hairties or very loose ones so they don't strangle my hair too much.

sarahthegemini
October 15th, 2016, 09:23 AM
My hair is perpetually messy. A cinnabun secured with a 2-pronged fork. Bits will inevitably escape.

triumphator!
October 15th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I grab my hair into a ponytail and put the elastic in, twist the elastic (as if I were going to tighten it around the ponytail) but only pull the hair halfway through, leaving a large loop of hair (which used to be small enough to leave as is, with longer hair it's just too big) which I then wrap the elastic around... it's actually a terrible way to put my hair up because it puts tension on the scalp and is hard to het out. Usually only do it if I'm at the gym without my trusty hair fork.

I call this "the softball player bun " and I'm guilty of using it constantly until my hair can be put up with a fork!

Arctic
October 15th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I make a loose, minimally twisted cinnabun with U-pins and gently pull it out bigger (like pancaking but for buns).

When my hair was a bit shorter than it is now I also did a birdsnest type of "bun". I gathered my hair into a very high ponytail, but without securing it with elastic. I twisted the base of the pony once, turned my head upside down (so hair/pony was hanging down towards floor), then used my free hand to scoop the ponytail and bring it like that towards/against my head. So at this point I had a pile of hair. Then I just started to shape the pile into a more structured and round shape bu tucking the loose ends under the bun, going around and around the bun several times while tucking the loose ends (always working on same direction to prevent tangling). Then I'd pin the rounded pile with u-shaped pins and tug it looser, and tuck and pin more if needed. I continue until I am happy with ti. This will create a bun that looks a lot like cinnabun but is more voluminous and messy (I'd say it's pretty hair friendly too: nothing else to securing it but U-pins, and dispite the birdsnet-y technique it doesn't cause tangling). I haven't been doing it anymore because it takes a bit too long to make and now I can get my normal cinnabun quite big too.

calmyogi
October 15th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Sometimes I do it with a hair tie like others have mentioned or other times I just do a quick top knot secured with two little claw clips. I consider it messy because I don't smooth it out. I just tilt my head forward and gather it then twist it up, there is no effort to make it neat.

M.McDonough
October 16th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I don't like to do that wrapping around technique if you can all it that. Sometimes, I just gather all my hair, pull it half way through, twist the elastic and that's it.

PixieP
October 18th, 2016, 03:08 PM
My favourite way of making a messy bun that creates a nice messy look, it's not the most hairfriendly perhaps but not too bad!
Put in a hih pony with an elastic. Split pony into two sections, and wrap sections around each other a couple of times. Take a tiny strand from one of the sections, hold tight onto that, and pull the hair up along. The hair should bunch up by the elastic leaving that tiny section hanging out. You can pull on it and puff it up more,and then pin it all up :) I'll see if I can a video explaining the technique since I'm not very good at explaining XD

Bun nr 6 in this video shows it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KHQmZf6Thc she does several small sections, while I only do one usually. But I have also does this with lots of smaller sections to make a cool updo with!

It has several other buns in it too that you could try :) I didn't see her do any backcombing or anything.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 20th, 2016, 03:30 PM
My favourite way of making a messy bun that creates a nice messy look, it's not the most hairfriendly perhaps but not too bad!
Put in a hih pony with an elastic. Split pony into two sections, and wrap sections around each other a couple of times. Take a tiny strand from one of the sections, hold tight onto that, and pull the hair up along. The hair should bunch up by the elastic leaving that tiny section hanging out. You can pull on it and puff it up more,and then pin it all up :) I'll see if I can a video explaining the technique since I'm not very good at explaining XD

Bun nr 6 in this video shows it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KHQmZf6Thc she does several small sections, while I only do one usually. But I have also does this with lots of smaller sections to make a cool updo with!

It has several other buns in it too that you could try :) I didn't see her do any backcombing or anything.

Thanks for posting that link! I love a messy bun but the high up ones usually give me headaches but I want to try these.

Coral Grimes
October 20th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Messy buns are the only kind of buns I can do! My hair is too short still and way too thin for anything pretty but I usually do a topknot (that looks a bit like a little fan) or just a normal but teeny tiny bun. I like to call it the profiterole.

yogagirl
October 20th, 2016, 07:36 PM

That's a great video! I had given up on messy buns because I have super slippery hair and they never seem to hold for me, but I'll give these a try tomorrow. (My hair is already in my sleep braid.)

I especially LOVE the idea of using eyebrow gel to smooth down the annoying baby hairs in those corners on my forehead (is there an English term for them, Geheimratsecken, for all German speakers lol). Literally best idea I've heard in the two years since I've started noticing my horrible hairline more and more. Totally going to the drugstore tomorrow to look for the Rimmel product she is using.

yahirwaO.o
October 21st, 2016, 12:02 AM
Yes messy buns are the default bun when you are shorter than waist. I also like pan caked cinnamons that look bigger and messy. But I prefer on my own a mid point, not too neat not too perfect and right on top of my head. And for now I have to use an elastic otherwise my hair would undo itself in no time!

Saproxylic
October 21st, 2016, 01:35 AM
I actually do a spidermom's bun or disc bun, but instead of using a stick, I put a spin pin where stick would go, and fluff up all the loose hair loopies that are created. Looks fluffy but stays put!