PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Years of growth. [Help Needed!!]

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Hello there,
I am totally new here so please forgive me if I am violating any rules, I am still reading them tho!
My hair growth journey started 2.x years ago. I grew it out till 18cm(7.1) inches then I cut it and now I've reached 7.1 inches again. I don't think I am taking care of my hair. Other than washing it daily and shampooing it twice a week I guess I am not doing anything beside that.
I was thinking it would start to hand down but it's not. And I honestly don't think it ever will at this rate. My hair is pretty dry and broken. I understand that genes play an important role in my hair structure but I wanna know if something could be done to improve it. I'll leave a few pictures so you can see how my hair looks.
http://i.epvpimg.com/qAXCh.jpghttp://i.epvpimg.com/Uu2yf.jpghttp://i.epvpimg.com/7Uutf.jpg

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 01:21 PM
If you guys can give me some tips or advice to improve my hair quality that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

SpinDance
October 13th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Generally the more curl in hair the more easily it dries out. How are you washing your hair? Washing daily may be more than your hair needs and can handle well. Do you use oils, leave ins? It looks like you have some nice shine, though, which is good. It doesn't look like you have splits or damage, also good. As for hanging down, you've got some wonderful curls there, and it will probably take more length and weight for it to hang down. If you don't want to deal with the 'poof' factor as it gets long enough to hang down you might try some gentle updo's, clips, scarves, hats. When my hair was growing out from a short cut, many years ago, I did small braids and twists around my face to keep it out of my way.

spidermom
October 13th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Add moisturizing hair masques once a week or once every couple of weeks.
Here is a recipe for a mix-it-yourself moisture treatment:
1 part conditioner (whatever you like to use)
1/2 part honey
1/2 part aloe vera gel - the clear kind, not the green kind. Avoid gels containing lidocaine.

EXAMPLE:
1/2 cup conditioner
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup aloe vera gel

You can change the exact proportions to suit yourself.

I like to whisk mine up in a bowl sitting in a basin of hot water.

Coat hair with it, cover with plastic, top with a warm hat or scarf. Heat helps it penetrate. I have a bonnet dryer that I use instead of a warm hat or scarf on occasion.

Finish by rinsing really well or even washing out the treatment. Mine comes out easily enough by rinsing, but I don't have your hair type. Honey is pretty sticky stuff, so wash it out if you have to.

littlestarface
October 13th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Are you doing conditioner only washes? Do you use LOC on your hair? These methods might help you tremendously, as curly hair needs lots of moisture.

202_bh_rider
October 13th, 2016, 01:41 PM
have you ever thought of trying coconut oil? or olive oil? they do excellent things to your hair! all you have to do is put some of the oil of your choice in a bowl, and heat it up (i use a microwave) for about 30 seconds. the oil will be warm. massage the oil into your scalp, then hair. cover it with a shower cap (or tie a plastic grocery bag around your head if you don't have one!) and leave it in for a few hours. sometimes, i do mine overnight...in that case, i leave my hair down and sleep with a towel over my pillow. hop in the shower when ready, and wash it all out! your hair should feel a lot better afterwards :)

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Generally the more curl in hair the more easily it dries out. How are you washing your hair? Washing daily may be more than your hair needs and can handle well. Do you use oils, leave ins? It looks like you have some nice shine, though, which is good. It doesn't look like you have splits or damage, also good. As for hanging down, you've got some wonderful curls there, and it will probably take more length and weight for it to hang down. If you don't want to deal with the 'poof' factor as it gets long enough to hang down you might try some gentle updo's, clips, scarves, hats. When my hair was growing out from a short cut, many years ago, I did small braids and twists around my face to keep it out of my way.

Nah, I am not using any oils, at least not in anyway what you'd call a "routine". I like the curls indeed, especially once I am out of the shower when my hair is hanging about chin-shoulder level but then it dries and turns somewhat like an afro. The hair in the picture was still moisturized from a quick wash. The problem is once it's completely dry, hair gets up and its volume gets bigger.

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 01:51 PM
I'd try stretching your washes & moisturizing more (using a deep conditioner + LOC method). Also joining a no-trimming challenge might be nice.

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Are you doing conditioner only washes? Do you use LOC on your hair? These methods might help you tremendously, as curly hair needs lots of moisture.

Not really, sometimes I use some tonic after shower because I thought oil would isolate my hair from the atmosphere,hence, dry after a longer period. I have used conditioners before but the only effect I noticed after like 3-4 days of using is that my hair gets back to normal after like 5 hours of using the conditioner when it's dry again. So I stopped.

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I'd try stretching your washes & moisturizing more (using a deep conditioner + LOC method). Also joining a no-trimming challenge might be nice.

I haven't got a trim since I started growing it. So count me in tho!

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Also what I think is worth mentioning is that I am from Egypt. The weather is usually 35C+ with 65%+ humidity.

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Add moisturizing hair masques once a week or once every couple of weeks.
Here is a recipe for a mix-it-yourself moisture treatment:
1 part conditioner (whatever you like to use)
1/2 part honey
1/2 part aloe vera gel - the clear kind, not the green kind. Avoid gels containing lidocaine.

EXAMPLE:
1/2 cup conditioner
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup aloe vera gel

You can change the exact proportions to suit yourself.

I like to whisk mine up in a bowl sitting in a basin of hot water.

Coat hair with it, cover with plastic, top with a warm hat or scarf. Heat helps it penetrate. I have a bonnet dryer that I use instead of a warm hat or scarf on occasion.

Finish by rinsing really well or even washing out the treatment. Mine comes out easily enough by rinsing, but I don't have your hair type. Honey is pretty sticky stuff, so wash it out if you have to.
How long should I leave it on my hair before rinsing?

spidermom
October 13th, 2016, 02:13 PM
How long should I leave it on my hair before rinsing?

There's no hard and fast rule. I usually leave mine in for an hour or two, but even 1/2 hour will help.

Wow - Egypt. I've never been there, but it's on my list.

Cheniaa
October 13th, 2016, 02:28 PM
How do you manipulate your hair? Do you roughly wash and detangle it, stuff like that? Do you find yourself playing with your hair alot? This might be mechanical damage...And I second the deep conditioning treatments, those help lots too.

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I haven't got a trim since I started growing it. So count me in tho!

Here's the new thread for 2017!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139906

luxurioushair
October 13th, 2016, 03:05 PM
If you wash it everyday and do not moisturize it, that may considerably affect your progress.
This is just my opinion, but while your hair is curly, it is not the type of curly that can be worn "out" all the time. I'd say if you start wearing your hair in plaits or some other style, you would see a dramatic difference. Also washing your hair everyday will dry it out, I would recommend just wetting it everyday and then washing once a week.

When it comes to my hair, I expect at least average growth. I would tell anyone, if you are not getting the average level of growth, something is wrong and you should adjust your habits. But other people would say "some peoples' hair just grows slowly". I don't really agree that you should accept less than average performance from your hair. If you agree with me then you can look into applying a good oil to your ends everyday, you will see a big difference.

Your hair will not just hang down. Like most African hair types, it will be shrunken if you leave it out like that and wet it. You will have an Afro. If you want it to hang, then stretch it and don't wet it while it's out.

I saw your post about the weather, I live in similar condiitons so that shouldn't be the reason your hair is staying short :)

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Hello there,
I am totally new here so please forgive me if I am violating any rules, I am still reading them tho!
My hair growth journey started 2.x years ago. I grew it out till 18cm(7.1) inches then I cut it and now I've reached 7.1 inches again. I don't think I am taking care of my hair. Other than washing it daily and shampooing it twice a week I guess I am not doing anything beside that.
I was thinking it would start to hand down but it's not. And I honestly don't think it ever will at this rate. My hair is pretty dry and broken. I understand that genes play an important role in my hair structure but I wanna know if something could be done to improve it. I'll leave a few pictures so you can see how my hair looks.
http://i.epvpimg.com/qAXCh.jpghttp://i.epvpimg.com/Uu2yf.jpghttp://i.epvpimg.com/7Uutf.jpg

You don't need to cut it that much. Might have taken all your growth off. Hair only grows 4-6 inches a year, at best. :)

Nymphe
October 13th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Keep in mind, it will take time to find the right combination of products and techniques your hair likes, so take a deep breath and let patience wash over you. Take baby steps towards progress.

From the looks of your hair, I would suggest the Tightly Curly method (http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/), using silicone-free conditioner to style your hair. You are going to have to be generous with your product use, meaning if you need handfuls of conditioner to get your hair right, then use it. I also suggest pre-pooing with oil and some type of protein treatment every few weeks.

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Here's a picture of my hair when it's slightly moistured. I "think" I had just used a conditioner before taking this picture.
http://i.epvpimg.com/EYC7f.jpg

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 04:33 PM
If you wash it everyday and do not moisturize it, that may considerably affect your progress.
This is just my opinion, but while your hair is curly, it is not the type of curly that can be worn "out" all the time. I'd say if you start wearing your hair in plaits or some other style, you would see a dramatic difference. Also washing your hair everyday will dry it out, I would recommend just wetting it everyday and then washing once a week.

When it comes to my hair, I expect at least average growth. I would tell anyone, if you are not getting the average level of growth, something is wrong and you should adjust your habits. But other people would say "some peoples' hair just grows slowly". I don't really agree that you should accept less than average performance from your hair. If you agree with me then you can look into applying a good oil to your ends everyday, you will see a big difference.

Your hair will not just hang down. Like most African hair types, it will be shrunken if you leave it out like that and wet it. You will have an Afro. If you want it to hang, then stretch it and don't wet it while it's out.

I saw your post about the weather, I live in similar condiitons so that shouldn't be the reason your hair is staying short :)
I think you kinda misunderstood the problem here. My hair actually grew 7 inches during the last year so I think I am having a normal growth rate. The problem is the shape of it. Wet hair? Pretty cool! Once dried, not that cool anymore. I don't like the "afro" like rounded shape. I like it when it's hanging down with my curls. My curls are actually nice but ONLY when my hair isn't dry. So that's kinda what I am trying to fix. My hair dries super fast because of the curls (as you guys said) and because of the weather.

Another thing that came to mind is the tangles. Sometimes my hair tangles badly that I have to spend a fair amount of time de tangling it.

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I think you kinda misunderstood the problem here. My hair actually grew 7 inches during the last year so I think I am having a normal growth rate. The problem is the shape of it. Wet hair? Pretty cool! Once dried, not that cool anymore. I don't like the "afro" like rounded shape. I like it when it's hanging down with my curls. My curls are actually nice but ONLY when my hair isn't dry. So that's kinda what I am trying to fix. My hair dries super fast because of the curls (as you guys said) and because of the weather.

Another thing that came to mind is the tangles. Sometimes my hair tangles badly that I have to spend a fair amount of time de tangling it.

You can only fix that with added length & by letting it grow, at least twice as long.

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 04:37 PM
You can only fix that with added length & by letting it grow, at least twice as long.

I guess you're right but the process is kinda demotivating. All the tangles and this annoying volume makes me just about to cut it again.

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 04:42 PM
I guess you're right but the process is kinda demotivating. All the tangles and this annoying volume makes me just about to cut it again.

Get a good detangling conditioner with lots of slip (silicones), which will make detangling a breeze.

lora410
October 13th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Agree with lapushka and others. use coconut oil and silicone condishes will add some weight and slip which also helps with detangling. if you dont want to use oil get a good moisturizing leave in for curly hair. i do think your poof issue is moisture or lack there of related. my kiddo is a curly girl and loves loreal extraordinary oil curls condish. She was a poofy mess before. Her hair is bsl but springs up to apl when dry. shes growing to waist curly. As tempted as you are to chop since there may not be a right now solution to get your curls to hang, a year from now you will im sure have hanging curls and be kicking yourself. Get some cute little braids done or another cute style!! That will help you keep patience while growing

Bandedloot
October 13th, 2016, 05:36 PM
^I hope so.

Alissalocks
October 13th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Often on this site, they emphasize the two week rule. If you still feel like doing it in two weeks, go for it. But by conscientiously building in some patience into your approach to your hair, you can achieve long term goals. Perhaps wait those two weeks and see how you feel?

animetor7
October 13th, 2016, 09:08 PM
To make your hair hang down more you could try braiding it when damp/wet to stretch out your curl pattern. I know some curlies use this to great effect, others don't prefer this method, so you'll have to experiment to see if it works for you. I will also echo what others have said in trying to find an oil, a leave-in or both that you like. This should help with the dryness you're experiencing and therefore the "poof". It may also help weigh your hair down so it hangs down more in less of an afro shape if that is what you're going for. I will also reiterate, that most hair types and scalps do not need washing or even rinsing every day, and it is my understanding that curly hair tends to be drier than straight or wavy hair, so this may be doubly true for you. Try stretching your washes and see if that helps in the dryness you're experiencing. Also as Nymph mentioned, use as much product as your hair needs! I know for my hair it needs a good handful or two of the first conditioner I use and then a smaller handful of my heavier conditioner with every wash. If I use less my hair is horribly dry and tangly. So try using a bit more of a conditioner that you like and see if it gives you better results, you may need a handful, or multiple handfuls, and that's okay!!! I'll also leave some links that might be helpful for your hair type:

I can't tell from your picture if you're a type 3c or type 4 of some sort so here's a link to each:
type 3 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96338&page=4
type 4 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1881

A thread about loosening curl to make hair hang down more: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115231
Some gentle cleansing methods that I've seen many curly girls following quite successfully:
Conditioner Only: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898
Condition Wash Condition: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421
Water Only: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

Good luck on your long hair journey and welcome to the LHC! :) :flower:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 14th, 2016, 12:30 AM
Hello Bandedloot
You have beautiful hair with a unique texture. You just need to work with your hair.

As your hair poofs and shrinks a lot, you must use the LOC styling method after washing.

I use a leave-in conditioner, after wash, on top of this I apply a little bit of oil (your hair is short therefore you need to apply a quarter of a pea sized amount - you don't want it oily). Thereafter I apply a little cream. This is a method that I use to my hair down. You can try any LOC styling method. Then let it dry.
You can bun it once it is dry this might help. You would also need to spritz it maybe every morning or every other day or three days. I hope this helps. Good luck.

SpinDance
October 14th, 2016, 07:13 AM
It is hard to be patient, but it does take time to figure out what your hair likes best, and what you need to do to get it to do what you like best. I recommend reading through the newbie advice every couple of weeks for a while. There is a lot of info there, and while we get out of it a lot each time, I found that I'd better understand some things after trying other things and having time to think about all of it.

And then try things. Take some general recommendations for your hair type, then do some tests. For example, I have always needed to switch what products I use on my hair. If I use the same one for very long my hair gets tangly and wants to snarl. If I change every time or every other time, it does better. When I found LHC I started to do experiments to figure out what gave me good results I starting doing micro-trimming regularly. With tiny trims of about 5 mm every few weeks I've gained length from about waist to maintaining at classic to thicken hemline. I learned that my hair doesn't like silicone. Oh, it feels nice and smooth in the shower, but after it dries it doesn't feel nice. I've had wonderful luck with an inexpensive condition used with CWC (Suave Naturals, but I've no idea if that is available in Egypt, I doubt it). I tried CO and water only, but my scalp doesn't like that. I need to remove the sebum from my head a couple times a week. I learned that I can do that with extremely diluted shampoo, also inexpensive although about any kind will do. I put a tablespoon or so of shampoo into an empty bottle then fill with water. I use as much of this mix on just my head as is needed to cleanse it. A bottle of shampoo will last me several years. A bottle of conditioner a few months. I use way, way more conditioner than shampoo!

I learned that my hair likes to have a small amount of oil, coconut or a blend, applied when my hair is wet. This helps to keep moisture in, it seems, and does not seem to affect the amount of time it takes to dry.

For a while I used a mix of coconut oil and aloe vera as an anti-frizz salve, but I just so rarely wear my hair loose that I stopped. It might be useful for you, though, since your hair doesn't get in your way all the time like mine will if left loose.

The hardest thing is to be patient through that 'not long enough' stage! And that is where it seems you are. Be patient and try different things. Pretty clips, bows, scarves. You've had great growth in a year, if you can get the same amount of length in another year your hair will be much longer and thus you'll have so many more options! I'll second the 2 week rule. Before making a drastic decision give it 2 weeks. If you still want to make the change, do so!

Bandedloot
October 14th, 2016, 08:26 AM
To make your hair hang down more you could try braiding it when damp/wet to stretch out your curl pattern. I know some curlies use this to great effect, others don't prefer this method, so you'll have to experiment to see if it works for you. I will also echo what others have said in trying to find an oil, a leave-in or both that you like. This should help with the dryness you're experiencing and therefore the "poof". It may also help weigh your hair down so it hangs down more in less of an afro shape if that is what you're going for. I will also reiterate, that most hair types and scalps do not need washing or even rinsing every day, and it is my understanding that curly hair tends to be drier than straight or wavy hair, so this may be doubly true for you. Try stretching your washes and see if that helps in the dryness you're experiencing. Also as Nymph mentioned, use as much product as your hair needs! I know for my hair it needs a good handful or two of the first conditioner I use and then a smaller handful of my heavier conditioner with every wash. If I use less my hair is horribly dry and tangly. So try using a bit more of a conditioner that you like and see if it gives you better results, you may need a handful, or multiple handfuls, and that's okay!!! I'll also leave some links that might be helpful for your hair type:

I can't tell from your picture if you're a type 3c or type 4 of some sort so here's a link to each:
type 3 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96338&page=4
type 4 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1881

A thread about loosening curl to make hair hang down more: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115231
Some gentle cleansing methods that I've seen many curly girls following quite successfully:
Conditioner Only: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898
Condition Wash Condition: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421
Water Only: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

Good luck on your long hair journey and welcome to the LHC! :) :flower:
Thanks a lot! Here's I took these maybe to help identify my hair more. I hope I am not bothering you guys with my "hair-ignorance" but I really don't know a lot in this matter.
http://i.epvpimg.com/jw9sd.jpg
And that's kinda how it looks from the side.
http://i.epvpimg.com/iO7Kg.jpg
They were taken after a wash from the olive oil I had on my scalp over night.

animetor7
October 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM
To me it looks like you're right on the cusp of 3c/4a, but I don't have as much experience typing tightly curlies, so hopefully someone who knows more will chime in. Beautiful curls regardless!! :)

Bandedloot
October 14th, 2016, 11:27 AM
To me it looks like you're right on the cusp of 3c/4a, but I don't have as much experience typing tightly curlies, so hopefully someone who knows more will chime in. Beautiful curls regardless!! :)
Thanks a lot.

SpinDance
October 14th, 2016, 12:01 PM
You have glorious curls! Hopefully someone who has a hair type close to yours will give you some more curl management suggestions, but by my understanding any manipulation of the hair after it is dry will disarrange the curl structure of the locks and create more 'poof'. My hair does not form good locks, it just has some wave, with a relatively long interval, but even so, combing after it is dry gives it way more volume.

lapushka
October 14th, 2016, 12:22 PM

Yeah, that seems about right to me. I would say 3c mostly. 4a is tinier coils, I think.

Bandedloot
October 14th, 2016, 12:31 PM
You have glorious curls! Hopefully someone who has a hair type close to yours will give you some more curl management suggestions, but by my understanding any manipulation of the hair after it is dry will disarrange the curl structure of the locks and create more 'poof'. My hair does not form good locks, it just has some wave, with a relatively long interval, but even so, combing after it is dry gives it way more volume.

You're right about the deformation of curls. One thing I noticed is that my hair is not to be combed. When I used conditioners hmm probably a way back in time, I never combed my hair. I simply ran my fingers through to detangle it and that was it. Two weeks ago I noticed serious tangles and I thought I had to comb it to fix that. I was wrong and as a result I lost all the curls and my hair was more of a mess not "curly" anymore. Basically, every hair strand was going some where with no signs of any sort of pattern but it goes back to normal with time and ofc more washing. But with a length of 18cm I don't know if it should look a certain way. I would be okay if it could stay wet all time tho! Curls are more defined and overall the hair hangs down from the weight of water.

lapushka
October 14th, 2016, 12:50 PM
You're right about the deformation of curls. One thing I noticed is that my hair is not to be combed. When I used conditioners hmm probably a way back in time, I never combed my hair. I simply ran my fingers through to detangle it and that was it. Two weeks ago I noticed serious tangles and I thought I had to comb it to fix that. I was wrong and as a result I lost all the curls and my hair was more of a mess not "curly" anymore. Basically, every hair strand was going some where with no signs of any sort of pattern but it goes back to normal with time and ofc more washing. But with a length of 18cm I don't know if it should look a certain way. I would be okay if it could stay wet all time tho! Curls are more defined and overall the hair hangs down from the weight of water.

Are you detangling dry? I sure hope not. Sounds like it, though. Curly hair needs to be detangled in the shower, with plenty of conditioner on it, then run a comb through. When dry, never touch it with a comb, or brush.

Bandedloot
October 14th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Are you detangling dry? I sure hope not. Sounds like it, though. Curly hair needs to be detangled in the shower, with plenty of conditioner on it, then run a comb through. When dry, never touch it with a comb, or brush.

Not exactly but close to that. I washed it and then started brushing :/ it was painful.

animetor7
October 14th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Not exactly but close to that. I washed it and then started brushing :/ it was painful.

Yeah, often brushes are not the best option for curlies. I'd recommend a wide tooth comb without any sharp edges or snags next time. :flower:

lapushka
October 14th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Try looking into the link that Nymphe gave you (you wouldn't be asking these questions if you did, I reckon ;)). Also Google the curly girl method. It will teach you how to take care of your curly hair. HTH. :flower:

Bandedloot
October 14th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Try looking into the link that Nymphe gave you (you wouldn't be asking these questions if you did, I reckon ;)). Also Google the curly girl method. It will teach you how to take care of your curly hair. HTH. :flower:

I did but that happened a little before I found LHC ��

Nymphe
October 14th, 2016, 04:40 PM
I did but that happened a little before I found LHC ��

And what was wrong with it?

Bandedloot
October 14th, 2016, 05:28 PM
And what was wrong with it?

Nothing but I guess combing just deforms the curls at this length. No matter what, it shrinks after a while. Probably not enough weight yet. It's about 18cm rn.

Nymphe
October 14th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Nothing but I guess combing just deforms the curls at this length. No matter what, it shrinks after a while. Probably not enough weight yet. It's about 18cm rn.

Skip the Denman brush and use your fingers, although she does show someone with short hair using it. You can rake the conditioner or styling product through and separate the curls as they want to naturally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5FNtHQFIw

Nymphe
October 14th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Another method was created by stylist Anthony Dickey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahrs2kTeHLY

Keep in mind that no matter what technique you use, you will still have some shrinkage when dry. Also, you have to pick a technique and stay with it in order to train your curls to clump, small changes as needed.

Bandedloot
April 19th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Here's an update: http://i.epvpimg.com/z0iTcab.jpg

vpatt
April 20th, 2017, 10:31 AM
What curls! I hope you are getting some advice that works for. Wish I could help, but my hair is very different.

Bandedloot
April 20th, 2017, 10:44 AM
What curls! I hope you are getting some advice that works for. Wish I could help, but my hair is very different.

I hope so too. I totally need styling advice. Especially on how to get it to hang like it does in that pic but not being so wet. Next September I will hit 2 years but I still think I don't know what's right for my hair yet. I just know that I don't like the volume-ish afro with all the shrinking and tangling etc.

likelikepenny
April 20th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Hair goals :)

hayheadsbird
April 20th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Amazing curls!

My hair type is really different, so I'm not really much use for advice, but would some sort of product help weigh the curls down for you? Lots of folk talk about flax seed gel, I think there a recipe somewhere, to help with styling if you wanted to try something homemade.

Bandedloot
April 20th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Amazing curls!

My hair type is really different, so I'm not really much use for advice, but would some sort of product help weigh the curls down for you? Lots of folk talk about flax seed gel, I think there a recipe somewhere, to help with styling if you wanted to try something homemade.
Fun fact: I don't use any products rn. Nothing, I just wash with a conditioner. No leave-ins, oils, creams. Nothing. I guess it's because I have difficulties combing it due to tangles and frizziness that I can't be bothered to apply any products on it in such a state. Last comb was like 3 months ago (took 3-4 hours until a wide tooth comb was able to pass through it without any tangles or knots getting in the way).
Now the serious question is, am I supposed to even comb my hair? Personally, I think yes but, I am not an expert so idk. If yes then, how often so it's easy and doesn't take that much time everytime?

vpatt
April 20th, 2017, 05:43 PM
My daughter combs in the shower when she washes her hair...I'm not sure if she is using a comb or fingers now. She also washes with conditioner and doesn't comb between washes. Her hair is quite curly (I'm not sure how it would be rated 3ish I think). But is definitely not as curly as yours. I am really in awe of your curls.

Bandedloot
April 21st, 2017, 03:25 AM
My daughter combs in the shower when she washes her hair...I'm not sure if she is using a comb or fingers now. She also washes with conditioner and doesn't comb between washes. Her hair is quite curly (I'm not sure how it would be rated 3ish I think). But is definitely not as curly as yours. I am really in awe of your curls.

I wish I liked my own hair that much haha.
Thanks a lot. Your hair is actually amazing. I wish I had a similar/close type.

vpatt
April 21st, 2017, 06:50 AM
I wish I liked my own hair that much haha.
Thanks a lot. Your hair is actually amazing. I wish I had a similar/close type.

Thank you... the reason I don't know as much about my daughter's hair care as you might expect is because her hair was not curly as a child. She developed all her curls as a teen...

Bandedloot
April 21st, 2017, 06:51 AM
Thank you... the reason I don't know as much about my daughter's hair care as you might expect is because her hair was not curly as a child. She developed all her curls as a teen...

Yup. Same here. I actually had 2b hair as a child. I wish I still had that lol