PDA

View Full Version : Hair extensions using my own cut/fallen-out hair..?

lfbddjw
October 12th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Hello!

I didn't know whether this would be more appropriate here or in the Polls and Projects Forum, so please tell me if I'm in the wrong place.

I had read an older thread somewhere here about how someone's grandmother would save her hair that fell out and made hair rats out of them to put in her buns, and about the Red Yao women, who use their previously cut and fallen hair to incorporate into their hairstyles.

If curious, please see the seventh picture on this page, and the paragraph underneath it:
http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/11/05/the-chinese-village-of-long-haired-rapunzels/

Does anyone know how one would go about doing this? I have very thin and fine hair, and although I like to grow it as long as I can (usually only slightly past waist length, and very thin by then), I would never be able to do some hairstyles that I'd love to try (especially the Madora). By genetics, I do have a much heavier normal hair fall than most, so starting a couple years back, I began collecting my fallen hair in a plastic bag, but would throw it out every few months since I didn't see how I could make natural extensions of any sort with then (especially aligning the ends together..!), then start again, so on.

I'm planning on cutting my hair about ten inches soon, and I'd like to save them this time to use as extensions of some sort, not to clip on to the roots, but to incorporate midway into braids and such. Any ideas on how I might be able to keep these locks of hair together and useable? Would be greatly appreciated!

samanthaa
October 12th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I've seen people on the forum do this. I believe someone actually weaved theirs together (with thread, I believe? I can't remember the exact method, but maybe they'll chime in!). Another suggestion would be to stick the root end to a piece of sticky tape, and one you've accumulated enough, to tied them together with a hairband.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 12th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Yes I am doing this with mine, making a weft. Am rushing out the door, but will try and speak more about it later. There is a thread about keeping shed hair on here somewhere and I talk about the weft I am making.

Edit: Here you go: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35155