PDA

View Full Version : Sourdough for hair?!

calmyogi
October 12th, 2016, 08:48 AM
So I have been playing around with a sourdough/wild yeas starter to make bread with for awhile now. Well, one day it occurred to me that with all the crazy things people have used to wash their hair with over he centuries why not some of my starter? So I shook up about a quarter cup of it with some water and dumped it over my head.... It was a disaster the wheat flakes and glutens were stuck in my hair like paste. So being the persistent person I am I was like "well next time lets try to strain the large pieces out of the water". So, I did but the second time I used a half cup of the starter. This is how my hair turned out this morning after going to bed with it wet.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah319/Calmyogi1/11935491-A413-4155-9988-2902D573EC4E_zpsbjdt7k4r.jpg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Calmyogi1/media/11935491-A413-4155-9988-2902D573EC4E_zpsbjdt7k4r.jpg.html)

Im surprisingly happy with the results. I'm wondering though if With regular use it could cause a protein overload?

Kajzh
October 12th, 2016, 09:01 AM
From what I know, yeast proteins are usually only effective on hair when hydrolyzed. They have a large molecular size, so instead of nestling into the crags and crannies of lifted/damaged cuticles, they kinda just "doink" right off the surface of the hair strand — kinda like putting on an inflatable fatsuit and trying to fit through the dog door. ;)

calmyogi
October 12th, 2016, 12:41 PM
From what I know, yeast proteins are usually only effective on hair when hydrolyzed. They have a large molecular size, so instead of nestling into the crags and crannies of lifted/damaged cuticles, they kinda just "doink" right off the surface of the hair strand — kinda like putting on an inflatable fatsuit and trying to fit through the dog door. ;)

Oh okay! Thank you Kajzh!

lapushka
October 12th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Well... I think it's all about how the hair feels. If it's great for your hair, by all means, continue to do it. I don't see the point, but in everything YMMV, so... And it looks amazing!

mizukitty
October 12th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Pretty cool! Your hair turned out so lovely. Your curls are gorgeous.

calmyogi
October 12th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Well... I think it's all about how the hair feels. If it's great for your hair, by all means, continue to do it. I don't see the point, but in everything YMMV, so... And it looks amazing!

I was thinking as a cleanser. It does seem to work because my hair hadn't been washed in a couple of days before I did this wash. For me two days equals some what greasy hair so it does seem to work for the cleaning. My hair is also detangling pretty easy as well. It was really just another try at finding something natural and easily accessible for me. I end up throwing out some of the starter daily anyways.

calmyogi
October 12th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Pretty cool! Your hair turned out so lovely. Your curls are giorgeous.

Thank you!

truepeacenik
October 12th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I'd be wary of yeast on a scalp.

It's the opposite of the Monostat treatment, but akin to beer rinses.

calmyogi
October 13th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I'd be wary of yeast on a scalp.

It's the opposite of the Monostat treatment, but akin to beer rinses.

I thought beer was good for hair?

Kajzh
October 13th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I thought beer was good for hair?

Beer (and other fermented rinses) is good because it's acidic and decreases porosity. You can achieve the same effect with vinegar or citric acid.