PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about my hair

Miss Kitty
October 11th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone.

I am new here and very glad I found this forum. I am in need of some hair advice.

My natural hair color is about a level 4 I would say (dark brown). I was getting my roots done with a highlift blonde and then partial platinum blonde highlights foiled in at root only all in the same session. Once in awhile Id get full highlights foiled in at root only to brighten up underneath. Now, Ive always been told that you shouldnt use a hi lift on someone with hair my natural color cuz it doesnt lift nicely but Id get lots of highlights so to me looked nice. My hairdresser moved so I had to look for someone else. I started going to a new salon back in May. I am getting the salon owner to do my hair as I wanted someone very experienced in color...But she does thing differently. She is bleaching just my root and using 40 volume. She is using Loreal bleach. She said its called Studio I think. Now, this scares me because I have always heard that using 40 volume is a big nono! But she tells me that my hair wont lift to a nice shade if we dont use 40 volume. I dont notice any major breakage yet but I am worried that this will do major damage in the long run. She leaves it on for around 20-25. Will a 30 volume not work? If so why wont she use a 30 on me? My hair isnt platinum. Its more of a buttery blonde color which I like. Im guessing she gets it that shade with the toner she uses. Im just confused and I dont want 40 volume used on me if its going to kill my hair and start to break off but why else would she use it on me? Her services arent cheap and I am trusting her with my hair. What do you guys think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

lapushka
October 11th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Hello & welcome! :)

If you don't feel comfortable with her using that high a lift, *tell* her and ask her to use a weaker form. But she might be right, and your hair might not lift well enough, leaving you with brassy roots (and I'm sure that's not what you want).

If you are dark brown (the way your roots grow in), you need a higher lift. That's true.

Maybe have a consultation with someone else and ask them what they would use. That's the only way about this.

MidnightMoon
October 11th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Well, you could try asking her to do it the previous way first and see how you do, assuming all the risks of course, it shouldnt be hard to fix in case it goes bad, right?
I would think, however, that you do need the highest level volume with your hair. I mean, mine is a very dark brown too and I couldnt get to blonde in one sitting even using the 40.

Miss Kitty
October 11th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Hello & welcome! :)

If you don't feel comfortable with her using that high a lift, *tell* her and ask her to use a weaker form. But she might be right, and your hair might not lift well enough, leaving you with brassy roots (and I'm sure that's not what you want).

If you are dark brown (the way your roots grow in), you need a higher lift. That's true.

Maybe have a consultation with someone else and ask them what they would use. That's the only way about this.

Thanks for your reply. You are right maybe with a lower volume it would go all brassy and thats why she chooses to use a 40. I just have heard that its not good to use 40 on scalp and Ive mentioned that to her but shes adamant at using the 40 so dont want to argue with her. I asked the girl who does my hair extensions who works at another salon and she seems to think 40 is too much and salons use that to get you out quicker. She says a 30 or maybe even a 20 could be used on me. So many different opinions it gets confusing.

Miss Kitty
October 11th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Well, you could try asking her to do it the previous way first and see how you do, assuming all the risks of course, it shouldnt be hard to fix in case it goes bad, right?
I would think, however, that you do need the highest level volume with your hair. I mean, mine is a very dark brown too and I couldnt get to blonde in one sitting even using the 40.

I didnt mind getting the highlift color and the highlights. Sometimes the highlift would go a little brassy but the highlights kinda camouflaged that. And in a way the highlift kinda acted like a lowlight as it was darker underneath where it wasnt highlighted as much. But that was 2 processes so Im not sure which is more damaging. Doing the highlift/highlights on roots or just the single process 40 volume bleach on roots only?

MidnightMoon
October 11th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I didnt mind getting the highlift color and the highlights. Sometimes the highlift would go a little brassy but the highlights kinda camouflaged that. And in a way the highlift kinda acted like a lowlight as it was darker underneath where it wasnt highlighted as much. But that was 2 processes so Im not sure which is more damaging. Doing the highlift/highlights on roots or just the single process 40 volume bleach on roots only?

Yeah, thats a good point as well :/
Lets see if any of our experts can chime in and help a bit :p

Gothic
October 11th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Hi!
30 volume would definitely be enough on level 4 hair :)
Instead of 20-25 she sould leave it on for about 30-35 minutes but it's much healthier this way.

Miss Kitty
October 11th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Hi!
30 volume would definitely be enough on level 4 hair :)
Instead of 20-25 she sould leave it on for about 30-35 minutes but it's much healthier this way.

See thats what I think too. It would just have to stay on a little longer but is less harsh. Its just hard to tell a hair dresser this because she is the professional not me and Im not sure how to tell her that she should only use 30 volume on me. I dont want her using the 40 anymore and I rather take the chance and see how the 30 volume turns out. I just dont know how to tell her this. Shes supposed to be a master colorist and she is the salon owner so I feel like Im offending her if I tell her what to do.

melesine
October 11th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I'm naturally a 2 and I used to be light blonde. At the time I would sometimes complain to my colorist that it was too white. It was a balancing act to get it not too yellow but not too platinum. My hair was short then though. He told me I could choose, blonde or long but my hair was too dark to be both. About every 9 months or so he'd highlight me but the rest of the time he just lifted my roots. I didn't get into specifics with him regarding the products used. He was a great colorist and I trusted him. Either you trust her or you don't.

lapushka
October 12th, 2016, 07:05 AM
See thats what I think too. It would just have to stay on a little longer but is less harsh. Its just hard to tell a hair dresser this because she is the professional not me and Im not sure how to tell her that she should only use 30 volume on me. I dont want her using the 40 anymore and I rather take the chance and see how the 30 volume turns out. I just dont know how to tell her this. Shes supposed to be a master colorist and she is the salon owner so I feel like Im offending her if I tell her what to do.

Try and look online and research your local salons a bit. Maybe try a different place and go for a consultation next time your roots need doing (so they can see your true hair color).