PDA

View Full Version : Need a very temporary blue-black hair dye for a costume

DarleneH
October 11th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Here in Podunk, I don't have a lot of the interesting brands and options some of you have. We have Revlon, Clairol, I think there's some L'Oreal dyes here, and I've seen Schwazkopf (?) in the stores here. We have Sally Beauty too. I need something to take my dark brown hair to blue-black, but not permanently. I don't mind if it lingers for a while, but what I'm saying is I just don't want to use a permanent or even demi-permanent color UNLESS that can be mixed with something else to make it not so long lasting. For example, I've heard of mixing permanent dye with conditioner and using that to color your hair more gently.

So I'm looking for products or techniques like that, and the more blue I can get to show up in this the better. It's partly for Halloween but if I can make this actually look good I might do it more regularly for my comic con cosplay as Wonder Woman, since her hair is always colored as black with blue highlights. I've just always kept my usual dark brown for that, but Halloween has got me wondering if I couldn't take my hair up a notch for that. I'd attach a pic of the WW costume here but I don't see how to do that?

animetor7
October 11th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Would one of those spray on hair colors that only lasts until the next wash work? I don't think any actual dye is going to be as temporary as you're going for. Manic panic is supposed to fade out completely, but sometimes doesn't. Personally, I wouldn't put any color in my hair except spray on or chalk and expect it to completely come out again.

MidnightMoon
October 11th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Id go with Manic Panic Midnight Blue or heck even Pravana blue would do the job. If your hair virgin then any of those will fade. I know because I have used both dyes wanting to achieve a lasting blue black without bleaching first and I hated the fact that nothing sticks for over two washes on my virgin hair.
Of course "everyones hair is different", but still... I dont really think there could be that much of a difference. Just wash with head n shoulders all your length once youre done and make sure your hair is healthy and virgin.

ps. and by done I mean done with the occasion and want the colour to fade lol

DarleneH
October 11th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Thanks, guys! I'll see if my Sally Beauty carries those.

OhSuzi
October 11th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Agreed Manic Panic or Pravana, for an all over strong solid hair colour that is semi permanent. Yep you can mix em with conditioner and they are vegetable based so shouldn't be too bad on yer hair.

However I don't think they fade away completely - especially red based dyes and especially if you have lighter coloured hair. If your hair is already dark you should be able to get away with it - it will still be dark, but with a strong purple or blue shine (or whatever colour you go with), that will fade with washes. Be warned the manic panic / pravana dyes can still stain your towel / white bathroom etc even just when rinsing out the fadey colour a few washes in, so be careful!

Much more temporary colour changes are:
Using one of those novelty coloured hair sprays about £1 - £2 uk pounds you can find them in superdrug or online. Note they will make your hair feel like its covered in hair spray. It'll only cover the top layer, unless you spray it all the way through your hair, but also note that one cheap novelty can does not give you much coverage, so you may want to buy a few.
It should instantly wash out when you're done for the day.
Be careful if it rains! Also again it's going to come out your hair, but possibly stains your clothes - be prepared for coloured shoulders & neckline as the stuff rubs off your hair thoughout the night.

You can also get coloured hair gels, again these last as long as you have them in, you just wash them out. The colour is less strong though, especially if your hair is dark already and it is hair gel, so only an option if you want to slick it all back or spike bits up. Again be careful in case it stains clothes and if your hair is a really light colour already.

You can also use Hair chalk, it will leave your hair dry and chalky and it only really covers the top, so its good for just doing sections, eg. a trendy coloured parting or one of your plait sections, or if you tie your hair up and just colour in your flat smooth crown.
Again this should just wash out, be careful of staining and if your hair is light.

There are hair chalk powders, they come in a small pot & basically look a bit like eyeshadow, they are more expensive and they are really only for sections like cool coloured fringe tips - it would take ages to cover the whole of your head!

Or there are coloured wigs, exactly the right colour, lasts all evening - you can use it again and again - might be hot and itchy though & if its a raucous party there will be drunk people trying to steal your hair all night!

You can also get coloured clip in / glue in hair extensions / highlights - glue will obviously wreck your hair though! Sallys might even have some clip in extensions, at least maybe blonde ones you could dye blue?

Unless your party is tonight I woul order off the internet! More choice, quick and easy to use, you could pay for next day delivery.
or find a friend who you can beg /steal/ borrow a wig off?

DarleneH
October 11th, 2016, 03:16 PM
I picked up 3 of these today

http://www.sallybeauty.com/gemstones-brights-haircolor/SBS-405068,default,pd.html#q=ion+sapphire+semi&start=2

I'm going to do a strand test tonight on the underside of my hair, but......I'm not sure that's really a good test because most of us have lighter hair on the top where it gets more wear & tear and sun exposure. It won't be a true representation of the final look on top. Oh well, it'll at least indicate if I might have a bad reaction to it.

Anje
October 11th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I'd go with Roux Fanciful dyes or that spray-on stuff, if you want it gone by the next wash. Both may come off on your hands or comb, so plan accordingly.

The semi that you picked up should wash out, but you're looking at probably a couple of weeks of darker-than-normal hair.

I'll mention: those are recommendations for you as a dark brunette. If you were blond, I'd advise you to get a wig -- sometimes these things do stain hair a bit, and while I don't think it'd be an issue on dark hair, I wouldn't risk it with light hair. (Ebay is a great place to look for cosplay wigs, btw.)

kidari
October 11th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I have tried semi-permanent dyes and I found that the liquid-y ones that come in natural colors tend to wash out faster and more thoroughly. The bright unnatural colors that come in a tube or a tub that are thicker in consistency tend to stain your hair and can be extremely difficult to wash out. I agree that Roux rinse out dye is your best bet. Personally, I'd wear a wig. You don't want it to stain your hair and end up green or blue while you frantically and desperately try to remove the not so temporary color.

melesine
October 11th, 2016, 04:42 PM
I picked up 3 of these today

http://www.sallybeauty.com/gemstones-brights-haircolor/SBS-405068,default,pd.html#q=ion+sapphire+semi&start=2

I'm going to do a strand test tonight on the underside of my hair, but......I'm not sure that's really a good test because most of us have lighter hair on the top where it gets more wear & tear and sun exposure. It won't be a true representation of the final look on top. Oh well, it'll at least indicate if I might have a bad reaction to it.

Did you read the Pro Tips section on that listing? It says

ion Color Brilliance Semi-Permanent Gemstones Brights are non-oxidative dyes that can be extremely long lasting and may become permanent. Apply to dry, pre-lighten hair.

Should removal be necessary from hair, it is important to know that lightener may not completely remove Brights from hair. ion Color Corrector is not recommended for removal of Brights. It is designed for permanent and Demi-Permanent color removal. Always read the product packaging and inserts for complete directions, instructions, and warnings, and make sure to perform both the strand test and the patch test before applying your color.

DarleneH
October 12th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Yes, and I also read that recommended Manic Panic is semi-permanent just like the Ion Color Brilliance making them pretty much the same.

I did a strand test last night and this morning that strand is just slightly darker and definitely shinier (which I didn't expect and is great!) with just the faintest blue cast. I think this is going to work!

OhSuzi
October 12th, 2016, 05:58 AM
good luck! It sounds like it might be a bit longer than temporary, but it looks like a nice colour - I'm sure it'll be great!