PDA

View Full Version : braided pigtails..... childish???

long and strong
October 11th, 2016, 02:22 AM
New to this....

I believe my hair is 2b/c, m, i.
It's layered and cut in a very soft v at th back, BSL at its longest point.

I've been thinking of protective styles and styles to keep my hair out of the way for work. I work 12hr+ shifts, outside, that can be very physical.

Buns can hurt my head and make my scalp itch.... this surly can't be a good thing... plus my wispies make me look a bit mental!!

My hair isn't long enough for a single braid (yet) so braided pigtails seem to be my answer.

BUT..... in a job where I need to look professional, how do I not look like a 6 year old!!!

How do you make your (shorter) pigtails not look childish??

Also because of my layers have have a long tail(?) (I'm not sure what term you use for the unbranded bit at the bottom?) How do I protect this from drying out when I'm exposed to the winter elements all day long?? Do you just make sure it's well oiled???

Thanks for any help... I'm still getting to grips with caring for my hair properly and not just throwing it in a flat ironed pony tail!!

hayheadsbird
October 11th, 2016, 02:30 AM
I love braided pigtails, but yes, intotally get the childish thing. I wear them at home or weekends but not at work...at least, not so would people would notice.
I twist up the length or the braid in to two little buns at the back. Looks like a low bun, without being too much princess Leah. I tend to wear Dutch or French braids in that style, so it makes it looks more complicated than it really is.

Shiranshoku
October 11th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Hi! Welcome :-)

If your hair is on the shorter side, I'd wear it in a french braid and tuck the tassel under. I used to do that all the time, and it's a very sleek style.
You can even oil the tassel first. Tucking it like that automatically protects your ends.
Like this:
http://hairromance-3df0.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Hairstyles-for-wet-hair-French-braid-tutorial-5.jpg

As for pigtails, Dutch pigtails are very popular nowadays. They're called boxer braids, for some reason. So due to them being in style, they don't look childish to most.

Personally, I like french pigtails better. But I walk around barefoot at the office to, so I don't really get bothered by how people see me :D

Upside Down
October 11th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Dutch pigtails and finish them with a bun?

Sectioned buns usually don't hurt the scalp because of weight distributiin. Like take the top from ears up and do bun and wrap the bottom aroind it.

French braiding with tucked braid.

Twists on two sides of the head that finish in a low bun.

Simsy
October 11th, 2016, 06:18 AM
I do pigtail braids for work and wrap the ends around my head, tucking the tassels underneath the other braid when they get long enough. It's a comfy style, works reasonably well with Dutch or French braiding if desired and fits neatly under a hat. The whole looks tends to be young but stylish. You can even do more than 2 braids and it just looks really complicated when finished.

I have recently had to start using 4 braids because the 2 were shredding after a couple of days. Since I use this method so I don't have to keep pulling my hair out, the braid shred was a problem. As with most things, your mileage may vary.

Horrorpops
October 11th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I agree, I would wear a single French braid or bun to work even with short hair. I like double braids but do think they're a little less professional on me. :) it can be tricky to find out what works for you at different lengths but be open to trying new things bs you might be surprised. Have you tried wearing your hair up in a twist with a claw or octopus clip? This was how I did my hair for work frequently when it was shorter (above BSL) :o

Cg
October 11th, 2016, 02:03 PM
I'll echo that a French braid tuck is elegant and professional, and it keeps the ends protected.

Deborah
October 11th, 2016, 11:10 PM
With a little practice a simple bun can be more comfortable than anything else, and always looks professional and nice.

Tosca
October 12th, 2016, 01:05 AM
You could start your plaits above/at your ears and wrap them over the top of your head like this: http://advicefromatwentysomething.com/the-only-milkmaid-braid-tutorial-youll-ever-need/

long and strong
October 12th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Thanks everyone. When I've got sometime... I'm going to have a practice.

This morning I have decided to rock the braided pigtails to work. I'm on a short day dayshift today so good time to try it out.

I've got my full on pigtails in!! I'm hoping that some strong eyeliner and my (rather unflatering masculine) uniform will offset the girliness of my hair!!!

hayheadsbird
October 12th, 2016, 02:17 AM
Long and Strong - totally OT, but your username makes me grin every time I see it. I used to row in our local women's team, and one of the phrases the cox would chant to help us keep time was 'long and strong' 😄

long and strong
October 12th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Long and Strong - totally OT, but your username makes me grin every time I see it. I used to row in our local women's team, and one of the phrases the cox would chant to help us keep time was 'long and strong' 😄

😂😂

I wasn't really thinking when I picked it..... I didn't think I would get as obbsessed with my hair and this forum as I have when I joined!!

Hairkay
October 12th, 2016, 07:27 AM
I'm with the others with the French braid and tuck look. I use braids/plaits most times. I tuck them up or wrap them in a bun. I even do a flat twist and tuck thing. Cornrows or Dutch braids create a nice look too.

spidermom
October 12th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I think "braided pigtails are childish" goes hand in hand with "mature women should have short hair". If you don't believe one, you don't have to believe the other.

Kat
October 12th, 2016, 09:30 AM

If your hair is on the shorter side, I'd wear it in a french braid and tuck the tassel under. I used to do that all the time, and it's a very sleek style.
You can even oil the tassel first. Tucking it like that automatically protects your ends.
Like this:
http://hairromance-3df0.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Hairstyles-for-wet-hair-French-braid-tutorial-5.jpg

As for pigtails, Dutch pigtails are very popular nowadays. They're called boxer braids, for some reason. So due to them being in style, they don't look childish to most.

Personally, I like french pigtails better. But I walk around barefoot at the office to, so I don't really get bothered by how people see me :D

I should note that sometimes I do this with my hair-- it's currently nearly classic length (I mean to maintain it at hip but then I get lazy about the trims...). I can actually fit the whole "loose" part of the braid up there. I mean, it's not flat to my head like in the link and you'll definitely see the bump under there, but it's not so bad. I find it a tidy and pretty-secure style (I've worn it for dance competitions-- and I'm talking Highland dance, so constant jumping up and down-- and running).

long and strong
October 12th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I agree Spidermom 😊 I really shouldn't worry. I Just sometime struggle to get people to take me seriously, take my advise or do as I say at the best of times!!!

It was fine today in pigtails, nobody made any comments..... although I didn't have to deal with any difficult patients!

I like the idea of the underpinned French braid.... after you guys bringing it to my attention I actually noticed one of the nurses at the hospital rocking the style!.... will defiantly be giving it ago.

truepeacenik
October 12th, 2016, 02:14 PM
What is the job? What would looking professional be like in that job?

Is a ponyscrub hat or Buff an option?

akuamoonmaui
October 12th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Although I'm "too old" to have long hair (but clearly have it anyway....), I do feel braided pigtails can look childish depending on the situation and/or environment. You didn't say how old you are - if you're over 32, I'd say I wouldn't in a work environment. But that's my humble opinion. This past weekend I paddled a canoe between islands (with many other crew members) and did two french braids close to my part line and blended them into one braid going down my back. This worked for me because I was jumping in and out of a boat/canoe.

You said it could feminize your masculine uniform (thumbs up to that) and maybe the braids would bring a bit of light heartedness/welcoming/relieving thing in the medical (? - You said patients -?) office.

HairPlease
October 12th, 2016, 02:38 PM
I think they look childish depending on the wearer and the context. Don't wear a pink fluffy blouse with them. :lol: They're less childish than non braided pigtails by a country mile.

Hypothesis
October 12th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I generally wear my hair in braids to work, and on occasion I have worn the twin pigtail braids. I think it would depend on where you worked and what position you hold in your workplace, but generally speaking people don't mind and so long as it's neat and not unkempt it would be fine at any workplace. Twin braids may look childish on a child, but on adults they generally denote a more "sporty" personality. So it's more about how you wear your hair with your attitude.

(Of course some professions such as the military have a strict hair dress code but from what I understand that's not what you're working in.)

FennFire911
October 12th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Sorry this is my first post, I should have intro'd myself first. But there are a few things I wanted to chime in on before this thread dies off.
I'm 37, and I wear my hair in twin pigtail braids sometimes, sometimes even to work. I'm a paramedic. I'm tattooed up and I'm muscular. For me, "cute" hair can sometimes be used to tone down being more brutish than what I see from more feminine women.
The other topic, someone mentioned them being called boxer braids---I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and more recently have started boxing and Muay Thai. There are many women fighters who braid their hair for safety reasons during training and matches. I've never heard them called boxer braids by any of us, but I'm not surprised other people refer to them this way.
I believe that being blonde comes into play for me. Twin braids just make me look like a short (I'm only 5'2"! lol) Viking.
I think braids are personal and situational. They are safe for my hair, quicker than trying to dutch or double dutch, which matters when I have to get up at 2:30am to start my truck at 3:30am, and it makes people smile and sometimes even laugh a little. It's amusing to see me come strolling in in uniform, doing a serious job, and looking like the Swiss Miss girl.
But "fitting in" never was my forte. I will not be cutting my hair when I get older just for the sake of people thinking I'm too old for it.
I guess that's enough rambling for now. This is just the 2 cents of a volunteer firefighter, paid paramedic whose hobbies happen to include mixed martial arts.
Y'all have a great night and I'll do a real intro in the next few days!

Alissalocks
October 12th, 2016, 09:29 PM
This morning I have decided to rock the braided pigtails to work. I'm on a short day dayshift today so good time to try it out.

I've got my full on pigtails in!! I'm hoping that some strong eyeliner and my (rather unflatering masculine) uniform will offset the girliness of my hair!!!
That's what made me smile just reading it! Rock it out, wear your style loud and proud. A confident attitude goes a long way, work that hair sister! :cheer:

long and strong
October 13th, 2016, 01:39 AM
Fennfire..... I am in the same boat as you (minus the tatoos!!) I too work on the ambulances, I'm a paramedic in the UK..... so you can appreciate my need to get my hair out of the way securly.

long and strong
October 13th, 2016, 01:39 AM
Oh and welcome to the forum....
I'm pretty new her myself.

Llama
October 13th, 2016, 02:52 AM
I think they look less "childish" if you only braid a small part of each braid...like a leave a long tail on each pigtail if that makes sense.
I think they look cute either way, though.
And for some reason double braids tangle MUCH less on me than a single braid.

Coral Grimes
October 13th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Where I work I sit in a very drafty spot and often gets blasts of cold wind from an open door so I prefer to keep my hair out of the way so it's not blowing all over my face constantly. I've had my hair in a topknot for a couple of days and was starting with a headache so I have my hair in two braids today, loose ones with my hair tucked behind my ears.

I also find double braids easier to do than single ones!

KittyBird
October 13th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Regular pigtails make me look like I'm 12 years old. Braided ones do not. :p I start at the front of my hairline and dutch or french braid to my nape, and then I make a few passes before I run out of hair. Twin braids (or boxer braids) (https://www.google.no/search?q=boxing+braids&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy2Z_yzdfPAhUE_SwKHQdlDuMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1528&bih=707&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=boxer+braids) are apparently quite 'in' right now.

Coral Grimes
October 13th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Regular pigtails make me look like I'm 12 years old. Braided ones do not. :p I start at the front of my hairline and dutch or french braid to my nape, and then I make a few passes before I run out of hair. Twin braids (or boxer braids) (https://www.google.no/search?q=boxing+braids&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy2Z_yzdfPAhUE_SwKHQdlDuMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1528&bih=707&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=boxer+braids) are apparently quite 'in' right now.

These are the kind I usually do. I can dutch braid but not french. :ponder:

long and strong
October 13th, 2016, 05:33 AM
I've just been caught at work Google imaging boxer braids!!!! 😂😂😂

Arete
October 13th, 2016, 05:38 AM
A way you can make them look more professinal is to braid them so they scoop towards the middle of your nape, then flip them up and tie them together. If this doesn't make sense, I can get a pic for you.

hayheadsbird
October 13th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Or twist up the end of the braid and bun it with a spin pin. I wear them like that to work

akuamoonmaui
October 13th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I'm a paramedic. I'm tattooed up and I'm muscular. For me, "cute" hair can sometimes be used to tone down being more brutish than what I see from more feminine women.
..... It's amusing to see me come strolling in in uniform, doing a serious job, and looking like the Swiss Miss girl.
But "fitting in" never was my forte. I will not be cutting my hair when I get older just for the sake of people thinking I'm too old for it.
I guess that's enough rambling for now. This is just the 2 cents of a volunteer firefighter, paid paramedic whose hobbies happen to include mixed martial arts.

OMG!!! Rock the braided pigtails!!!!

:bowtome: Thank you for being all those things!! Especially the paramedic....

spidermom
October 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I wore twin dutch braids out to do errands a few days ago and got a compliment. I ran into the same woman today, and she told me that she really liked the way the twin braids looked on me the other day. She didn't say anything about me looking childish.

Cherrys
October 13th, 2016, 10:32 PM
I think if you braid your pigtails to head down your back rather than resting in front of you shoulders, it will look less childish and more like an intentional boho vibe.

hobbitlocks
October 14th, 2016, 11:39 AM

Like this:

I really liked this suggestion and am wearing my hair sort of like this today! It's cute and fits under my hood well.

Personally, I always feel self conscious in double braids but when I see them on others I like them... so I say if you feel confident/comfortable wearing them you will look good wearing them!

laceyfairy
October 14th, 2016, 01:10 PM
For healthcare, my default is that any hair I have out will be grabbed by patients or get blood and bacteria on. Braids can be pinned up. Would a crown braid be feasible for you? I ran a marathon in one, they are very stable.

Kat
October 16th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I should note, too, that I wear my hair to work in two braids several days a week-- that's because my go-to workout style is Heidi braids (secure, out of the way, no knot on the back of my head for things like situps where my head might be on the floor), and so if my hair is already in two braids, it's easy just to pin it up at the gym (having my hair up too long can give me a headache, so I choose not to pin it up until I truly need it up).

I'm no longer accused of looking much younger than I am, so the "does it make me look childish" thing doesn't matter, and there's the caveat that my workplace doesn't require a super-professional look (I can wear a polo shirt most days), so I can get away with it.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they get in the way more. It's already annoying that whenever I bend over, my usual single braid falls in front of my shoulder (and onto the dirty floor/into the cleaning bucket/whatever I definitely don't want it in), and two braids are even more likely to do that.

HairPlease
October 16th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Sorry this is my first post, I should have intro'd myself first. But there are a few things I wanted to chime in on before this thread dies off.
I'm 37, and I wear my hair in twin pigtail braids sometimes, sometimes even to work. I'm a paramedic. I'm tattooed up and I'm muscular. For me, "cute" hair can sometimes be used to tone down being more brutish than what I see from more feminine women.
The other topic, someone mentioned them being called boxer braids---I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and more recently have started boxing and Muay Thai. There are many women fighters who braid their hair for safety reasons during training and matches. I've never heard them called boxer braids by any of us, but I'm not surprised other people refer to them this way.
I believe that being blonde comes into play for me. Twin braids just make me look like a short (I'm only 5'2"! lol) Viking.
I think braids are personal and situational. They are safe for my hair, quicker than trying to dutch or double dutch, which matters when I have to get up at 2:30am to start my truck at 3:30am, and it makes people smile and sometimes even laugh a little. It's amusing to see me come strolling in in uniform, doing a serious job, and looking like the Swiss Miss girl.

That is awesome and I just wanted to say thank you for being a volunteer firefighter and paid paramedic. I bet the braided pigtails look awesome on you.

höpönasu
October 16th, 2016, 09:38 AM
In my opinion high pigtails look more childish than low pigtails. I wear low pigtails sometimes, low because my scalp can't deal with high updos without aching.