PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8 Bun... Is it good?

Little_Bird
October 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hello there!

After threads about how much I'm shedding, here's a positive one about figure 8 buns.

I'm thinking about taking my hair in a figure 8 tomorrow. I never used one out of the house. Are they good to walk around with? Do they stay a lot of time? Is it easy to do without a mirror?

If you got some hints about figure 8's, I'd like to know them :)

And by the way, I think my shedding is decreasing, slowly but surely :) ... Or at least I think so!

plainjanegirl
October 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I just did my first one last week and I found it was very comfortabe yet stable.
Good luck! Post a pic for us if you can.

AJoifulNoise
October 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Mine tend to be very stable if I do them at certain lengths. When I hit those lengths, the figure 8 holds like a rock. I tend to secure it with either two sticks or a ficcare. The sticks look better in my opinion. I also tend to do it on damp hair.

Little_Bird
October 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, that's what my sister thinks too... I use to do it on her hair and she loves it really...

I wonder if it tangles the hair? I am always skeptic about twisting hair, I always think is tangles it all up!... How's about that?

I'm gonna try it tomorrow... I love trying new styles, as it's always so rare!
And plainjanegirl, yours looks very prety!

And by the way, my figure 8 looks like this:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/LittleBirdLongHair/Site/14-Figure8Bun.jpg

Only I'm using a green twisty stick tomorrow :D

Isilme
October 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
a figure eight is my staple bun. It doesn't tangle my hair at all. I secure it with a ficcare.

Gumball
October 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Buns create less tangles than braids do in my hair (for the most part, day and style depending). Whenever I wear a figure 8 I hold it with two sticks and it stays really secure the entire time. The only things that I run into as problematic with them is at certain lengths sometimes my hair might unwrap just a little bit around the base of the bun (where the ends are) and when that happens I just tuck it back in and go about my business. Usually it's pretty easy to do without a mirror, but oftentimes I like to check in a mirror after just to make sure it's nice and vertical (and sometimes to see if I have my sticks in to my liking). I also find when I do a figure 8 with two sticks that inserting them parallel to each other results in much less pulling of individual hairs or small sections of hair as opposed to when I used to insert them in an X.

AJoifulNoise
October 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I wear twisted buns a lot. They don't tangle for me. I think it has to do with twisting all the hairs in the same direction.

spidermom
October 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
My hair really seems to hate being twisted. I've noticed split ends running in diagonal rows, which makes me think they happened because of twisting. So the bun I do doesn't require any twisting and looks similar to an infinity bun. The figure-8 didn't work for me at all. It was always sagging and twisting and falling out.

FrannyG
October 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM
It looks great, Little Bird. You can wear that anywhere. As long as you twist gently, you'll be fine. :)

Anje
October 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
It looks very nice, Little_Bird!

Figure-8 buns aren't my favorite. My main problem with them is the vertical stick, which does not seem to catch scalp hair correctly for me, and tends to cause pulling.

maskedrose
October 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I secure mine with two sticks and it holds like a rock!

Krifantasy
October 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
I actually just did my first successful figure 8 bun tonight. I got myself some nice sticks tonight and have been playing with some different buns (I usually wear mine in a cinnabun). I really liked the figure 8 bun, my hair felt solid (not sliding out at all) and I can shake my head and it still feels good. I used one stick. I also found that doing it sideways worked just as well and meant that I could wear it lower on my head and not stab myself with the stick.